The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg) Reviews

• Apr 29, 2019

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is more an opera than a musical (every line is sung rather than characters suddenly breaking into song). It takes a little while to get used to the format, but once you've settled in, it would be hard to imagine this movie any other way. I'm unable to judge the quality of the poetry as I don't speak French, but some of the music was memorable. The bright colors contrast with the bittersweet story, and the final scene made the investment in the story worthwhile.

• Apr 29, 2019

Fascinatingly different take on the movie musical. While some may find it a "tearjerker" - others, like myself, will find it sad/melancholy. Well worth a watch - and see it on the big screen if you ever get a chance. Fine, fine cinema

• Apr 11, 2019

I'm not a big musical guy, as I find most American musicals equivalent to cheese whiz with a few good ones that rise to the top. Jacques Demy's French Music is as beautiful as it is tragic. It's one that I continue to think about periodically from time to time.

• Sep 20, 2018

This one is an example of the magic of cinema. A moving and unforgettable picture which owes much of its charm, of course, to its fantastic, rich, magic soundtrack. But it's also an immortal story of doomed love, which breaks hearts since the conception of art. The leading actors are superb; in fact, everything is superb in this masterpiece, including the jaw-dropping color cinematography that is as visually rich as the movie's soundtrack.

• Sep 04, 2018

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is like a bowl of rainbow sherbet. It's bright, it's colorful and it's almost impossible to dislike. However, this movie isn't all sugary sweet-there's an unexpected tartness to it that makes it stand out among romantic musicals. Ice cream similes aside, this film is simply impressive. From the costumes to the set design to the music, it's a memorable work of art.

• May 06, 2018

We've been telling the same stories since the beginning of films, the most important thing is to tell them differently. We could say that Hitchcock told us the same story over and over again, but the storytelling used in each one of the pictures he made was different from one to another. The most remarkable thing about this movie is that Demy was able tell us such a banal story in a very charming and gripping way. We cannot deny this picture is formidable French entertainment inspired by Old Hollywood musicals. Highly recommended!

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Apr 15, 2018

The editing is great and the art direction is gorgeous with its strong saturated colors, but for me this is an awfully frustrating film and the music very much like fingernails on a blackboard, absolutely insufferable as everything is sung through like a horrible arioso piece.

• Feb 06, 2018

The umbrella's of Cherbourg is truly exquisite to the eyes but a solid two third of it is horrendously grating to the ears, especially if you speak french; what they say is tepid and bland to the extreme, the musical arrangements are always excellent but the melodies, when they do the mundanity parts are just urghh... Yet i recognize it is an important movie but, what a pain in the ass it was for me (and the full 3rd act doesnt really work, so that is a quite a downer in itself). So boring and tedious, but a classic, i guess?

• Jan 26, 2018

A dazzling and gorgeous romance with breathtaking color and music

A dazzling and gorgeous romance with breathtaking color and music

• Oct 23, 2017

I wanted so desperately to love The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, particularly because I had such a fondness for The Young Girls of Rochefort from the same writer/director. Sadly, this movie did not work for me. The story is kind of depressing, and it is not all that original. The young lovers who must decide if their love can stand the test of time and distance, is a really old story structure (and frankly not one of my favorites.) I simply wasn’t enjoying the way things unfolded, and I knew what it was all leading to long before the ending arrived. The one chance this movie had to elevate itself above its story is the fact that it was a musical, which I should love. Unfortunately, I cannot fathom why this was musical. There weren’t memorable or distinctive melodies. The dialogue wasn’t lyrical to my ear at all. As far as that goes, I’m willing to accept that something might have been lost in translation since they’re singing in French, but it felt so clunky. It almost came across like Jacques Demy just wrote a script intending it to be spoken, and then told the actors to make up a tune so they could sing their lines, and then figured out some orchestration to go with it later. Nothing clicked to make this feel like a musical, and after awhile I stopped even thinking of it that way and simply read the subtitles in my head as if they were spoken. I wouldn’t say that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is a bad or unappealing film, but it was completely ineffective for me. But I must admit, Demy has an eye for gorgeous visuals, so if nothing else at least I was able to enjoy the fact that this is a beautiful movie to look at.