The V.I.P.s Reviews

• Aug 03, 2019

The stars salvage what they can from this thin plot. Margaret Rutherford is delightful, though.

• Aug 02, 2018

The V.I.P.s is a decent film. It is about fog delays a group of travelers headed for New York. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. Anthony Asquith did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.

• Sep 12, 2013

Fog delays at Heathrow Airport in London causes all flights to be grounded. The passengers get stranded during a critical time in their lives. The only thing this film had going for it was the number of stars it had in it. It was annoying with all the different storylines and not very good at converging. It had no depth and no plot. The famous story behind the film would have made a much more amusing movie. That story based off of the true story about Vivien Leigh leaving her husband Lawrence Olivier for Peter Finch, which sounds much more entertaining than this miss match. Although, there are great performances by Orson Welles, Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor, Louis Jourdan, and Margaret Rutherford. They each seem to shadow each other but couldn't take center stage. www.what-to-watch.com

• Feb 18, 2012

This movie has such a stacked cast its a little mind boggling. As with most movies that have such a star-studded cast I can't say it was wonderful, but it is better than most I've seen. Burton, Taylor, Rutherford, Smith, Welles, and R. Taylor keep it interesting and moving forward despite the VIPs all being stuck in the same airport the whole movie. Check it out.

• Aug 16, 2011

Finally got around to checking this one out. Pretty good movie, another one of those films from around that time that were filled with a bunch of actors who are in one setting and have their stories bump into each other (a la Ship of Fools, Airport, etc). Some of the stories are dull or just filler space and others weren't too bad. I think Richard Burton, Maggie Smith, and Margaret Rutherford were best in show. Rutherford in particular was hilarious, too bad she didn't have more screentime, it seemed like every line spoke was sweet and hilarious (of course, there was always that little tune that popped up every time she was on screen). It's overlong but not too bad, I loved the final scenes with Maggie Smith. Oh, and having seen Rutherford's Oscar winning performance I have now seen all of the Best Supporting Actress winners.

• Feb 11, 2011

It seems like a simple plot but in fact it is very entertaning. Especially with Taylor performance. Even though it takes place at airport it is still very interesting story.

• Oct 01, 2010

This big, glossy turd of a movie is saved only by Elizabeth Taylor's beautiful orbs (and I don't mean her eyes) and the always wonderful Maggie Smith.

• Aug 26, 2010

Grand soap opera set in a fogged-in London airport with an all-star cast. Entertaining on all levels!

• Apr 24, 2010

It's jet-set entertainment for celebrity watchers. The shallow script is somewhat offset by the performances, esp. the comic relief provided by Margaret Rutherford.

• Mar 15, 2010