The Vow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Vow Reviews

½ May 27, 2016
While it's not the best romantic-drama movie, it is worth a watch for people who enjoy romantic dramas.
½ May 26, 2016
While The Vow will make for a decent date night, this incredible true story about a strong Christian couple has been tainted by Hollywood's dramatization into a secular, trendy love story.
March 1, 2016
If memories and life experiences are what make us who we are, what shadow of ourselves do we become if their taken away? Based on a true story, The Vow eloquently and subtly captures the truth behind how both fragile and fickle the human mind can be, and exactly how far you will go to reclaim someone you lost.

Married in front of a handful of friends in a beautiful Chicago art gallery (without their permission), Leo (Channing Tatum) and Paige (Rachel McAdams) sincerely vow (written on matching menus) to fiercely love, tenderly hold and never forget their once in a lifetime passion for each other.

On a thick snowy night their life and vows are shattered when a car accident lands the pair in hospital. Leo makes a quick recovery from minor cuts and bruises; Paige however is placed into an induced comma to aid in the recover from severe head trauma.

When Paige awakes, she cannot remember either the accident or Leo. Suffering from retrograde amnesia, she shies away from Leo, asking for her now estranged family, former fianc and information about law school of which she left five years earlier.

Unable to trigger any memories of their life together, Paige is set to leave the hospital and return to a life pre-leo. Her narrow-minded lawyer dad (Sam Neil) and obsessive mother (Jessica Lange) come to 'bring her home'. Determined to reclaim his wife, Leo interrupts by replaying a voice message from before the accident and the ultimately happy tone convinces Paige she should at least try, and leaves with her stranger husband to their apartment.

Attempting to defy medical science and break through Paige's mental barrier, Leo's endless patience in explaining the details of their life as Paige pulls back to the only life she remembers is an emotionally complex and painful journey.

Retreating from her friends, her career as a sculptor and Leo, Paige has not only lost the memory of herself, but the will to find her. Showing only a willingness to re-claim the life she abandoned and fled years before, confusion and estrangement sets in.

Can Leo find a way to make her remember herself? If not, can he make her fall in love with him all over again or by chance will she make the same discoveries again and guide herself back to their life together?

Many critics will find this film easy to judge, chalking it up to little more than a made-for-tv drama, unable to digest the premise that someone can simply forget who they love. However, speaking from personal experience, there is nothing that comes remotely close to the heart breaking feeling of greeting someone who you love unconditionally that subconsciously shies away from your touch with blank recognition.

Softly portraying the anguish and perseverance of Leo, Tatum is quite convincing as a loving husband that simply just wants to embrace his lost wife, McAdams makes Paige real with a genuine sense of self-doubt and personal insecurities. Endearing and touching with authentic people, situations and dilemmas, sadly both the characters and the film are hindered by the screenplays shallow exploration of topic.

The Verdict: Not on the same cinematic level as The Notebook, there is something beautifully innocent about this quirk of fate film. Slightly over-simplified and suffering from a few shortcuts, The Vow strikes a balance between grace, pain and commitment without feeling heavy with overt sentimentality.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 24/02/2012
½ February 27, 2016
Girl loses her memories and is forced to fall back in love with her husband. Very chick flick. (Better than the notebook, but worse than a normal movie).
February 9, 2016
nice movie and enjoyable
December 11, 2015
Spoiler Alert: Falling in Love once is difficult enough, but twice with the same women....Impossible to think....especially when the woman doesn't remember you. I almost thought the film was a Nicholas Sparks book adaptation, until discovering i.e. was actually based upon a true story. 3 Stars
December 4, 2015
71%
Saw this on 31/3/15
The vow starts off well, but it becomes shallow and ordinary in it's last 20-30 minutes. However it's watchable due to the earnest efforts of Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams.
November 29, 2015
The Vow is adapted from a true story. The commencement of the movie is the scene that Paige Collins ( starring : Rachel McAdams) and her husband Leo ( starring: Channing Tatum) come out of a movie theater. On their way home, Paige unbuckles her seatbelt to lean over and kiss Leo. At that very moment, a truck collides their car from behind and Paige crashes through the windshield. In the meanwhile, Leo narrates words that "The moment of impact. The moment of impact proves potential for change." After this accident, Paige leaves in coma. When she awakes, she doesn't remember Leo as well as those sweet memories. Some people might think this plot is complete clich. However, I think it really makes me feel touched. Also, it gives heart palpitations to fans of its charming co-stars Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum. I really love their performance in About Time and Dear John while this one is the most incredible one.
½ November 1, 2015
The Vow has been targeted with adjectives like shoal.
Honestly, I can't see why.
To me, this movie is a touching romantic drama that discusses some of the most important aspects of Love.
October 11, 2015
Cute, but too predictable and cliche for my tastes. The director could have done a lot more with the unique, based-on-a-true-story, plotline, but the characters lacked depth. In fact, the fact that's it's inspired by a true story is the only reason it's potentially worth-watching.
October 4, 2015
I love this movie!! it always makes me feel some type of way but i do not know what way lol
August 29, 2015
moments of direct impact can drastically effect your life.
August 13, 2015
I actually found myself loving this movie. Shortly after, I realized I was still single and there's no hope for me.
½ August 2, 2015
Idk why this movie has such bad ratings. Why compare it to the notebook when it has nothing to do with it besides the same actress? The movies cute, based on a true story, etc. I actually read the true story not too long ago after seeing the movie and it was very interesting. The notebook story was fiction, this story is "real". My only critique: Channing Tatum. He's like a walking zombie throughout the entire film. He basically loses his wife and cries once. I love him, but he can not act in a serious movie.
July 27, 2015
The chemistry is good, the acting is decent, the story is sad. It's not great but for a movie like this, it is watchable so it isn't all bad. Rachel McAdams is actually very good in this and Channing Tatum is Channing Tatum (eye candy for the ladies) so I'd say a MILD RECOMMENDATION for fans of dramas, love stories and either of the lead actors.
July 21, 2015
????LOVE????
I mean
come on!!!!!!
July 3, 2015
Flimsy and maddeningly contrived tearjerker.
July 1, 2015
Really sweet...Tatum is HOT and loved seeing the lack of clothes :). Very romantic
June 25, 2015
Too dark and clichéd, The Vow breaks its promises as soon as the film begins.
June 14, 2015
One of my favorite movies ever