The Waiting Room - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Waiting Room Reviews

½ December 29, 2013
Really slow, but sweet. Nice ending...
October 20, 2013
Looks boring. I'm tired of fake reality tv.
October 6, 2013
I really loved this movie. Uplifting and romantic. The actors do a great job in developing the characters into people you connect with and care about. Great job all round.
May 5, 2013
In a movie like this, people usually miss the parent-child love stories. While it's not shown, Anna seems to realize that she has let her negative feelings about Toby disrupt the father-child bond. She rectifies that, just as she rectifies her betrayal of her friend, Jem. Meanwhile, George has gone off the rails, and that includes being an increasingly distant father and husband. That, too, is fixed. So, while the love-at-first-site story seems to be important, it is really not. The only thing that bothered me about the film was that the "hero" (Stephen) is unfair and distant to Fiona, and why should we feel that he will be any more understanding or communicative with Anna??
½ April 15, 2012
I thought this movie was fantastic, with realistic portrayals of the problems and complications of relationships. As cliche as the ending was, I loved it and thought it was really sweet! I am not a huge fan on British cinema, but this was an exception to the rule!
April 15, 2012
I thought this movie was fantastic, with realistic portrayals of the problems and complications of relationships. As cliche as the ending was, I loved it and thought it was really sweet! I am not a huge fan on British cinema, but this was an exeption to the rule!
March 21, 2012
I need to quibble with Colleen's review, because she completely missed the relationship tangles here. Yes, the seemingly uncaring husband, mean to his wife, is also cheating on her with the female neighbor next door. That woman has a child, from her former husband, with whom she quarrels and gets little support. Meanwhile, the other young man (who works in the old folks home) does not live "next door" to anyone -- he in fact lives with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WOMAN in another part of town entirely...she just happens to also have blonde hair, and looks a little bit like the other character.

The uncaring, cheating husband character is NOT a psychotherapist...he is actually unemployed, is a "house husband," and has been offered a job that he does not want. The psychotherapist is a visitor to their home for one evening, who is being "set up" as the date for the single woman who is having the affair with the husband.

Colleen obviously did not enjoy the film, but I am wondering if her confusion about just who is who in the darn thing in a small way contributed to her negative reactions. I found it charming and quite realistic, and was not bothered at all by the slow movement of the script, which calls for the viewer to pay attention to the subtle changes that make all of these characters more human, and more sympathetic, by film's end.

jimeddy
½ March 16, 2012
The plot is very weak and the flim is slow moving. The film plods along without any genuine character development. Rupert Graves, Anne Marie-Duffy, Phyllida Law are excellent actors completely wasted by the dull and uneventful script. There is pointless full frontal male nudity showing the man urinating into a toilet. Scenes like this do absolutely nothing to develop the narrative development. I don't mind nudity in films - but at least the film has to have some semblance of a plot.

The dull script revolves around a married couple - with the husband committing adultery with the next door neighbor - and that next door neighbor living with a commitment phobic boyfriend who does not want to marry her, nor have kids with her. To make matters even more pathetic - the husband who is committing adultery with the next door neighbor is a psychotherapist. He brags he earns 50 British pounds per hour (approx. $120 US dollars an hour) - but his OWN personal life is completely screwed up - he cheats on his wife - he is an indifferent, disengaged father....when his own child is crying in the night - wailing for help - the father refuses to go help his child - the father sits and reads a book - and ignores his crying child - and THIS is a person who charges $120 dollars an hour as a pscychotherapist who tells people how to fix their personal problems? Pathetic.

To make matters even worse - the adulterous, cheating husband actually has the nerve to invite his next door mistress over to dinner and have the unsuspecting wife prepare a dinner party for his next door neighbor mistress. Appalling!

The husband has no charm, totally self absorbed - it was hard for me to understand what all these women even see in this guy. I have always been an admirer of Rupert Graves acting - he's a terrific actor - totally wasted in a weak script.

To sum it up - this film is a snooze-fest - just a British soap opera which was made for British television Channel 4.

This film is certainly not the worst movie ever made - just plodding, dull script without character development. Too bad so many excellent actors were wasted on this snooze-fest. I would grade this film with a very weak C minus.
½ January 9, 2012
Sweet. Very heartwarming.
½ September 10, 2011
I don't why this was in my movie que. Either way, it was ok I guess. Cheating spouses just isn't my think, but at Ms Telford and Ms Duff were easy on the eyes. Little, on the other hand, was not.
April 17, 2011
Interesting philosophical concepts around 'love at first sight' and taking stock, are we being true within ourselves?
November 1, 2010
Cute little heart-warming movie that ends on a hopeful note.
½ September 19, 2010
Pretty dull. Goes mostly nowhere, and fairly slowly.
½ June 2, 2010
This supposed to be a comedy, big YAWN.
½ April 11, 2010
There is a quiet reality - it does not try to sugarcoat the desire, struggle and loss of love, family, life but it does not overdo those. Serendipity takes on a life of its own and plays a big part in our lives...
January 30, 2010
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie....i think that anne-marie duff, ralf little, rupert graves, phyllida law, zoe telford, frank finlay play good roles/parts throughout this movie....i think that the director of this drama/romance/comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie....i think that this is a good movie 2 watch
½ January 20, 2010
I was surprised by how much I dug it. The plot wasn't anything original but they didn't go the usual route with it and I liked that they didn't. And even though I think Zoe Telford is prettier than Anne-Marie Duff and have a hard time believing anyone would want to cheat on ZT with AMD, I went with it because AMD is pretty damn likable. Ralf Little was also awesome, despite the unnecessary nudity. I felt kinda bad for Fiona, though. She literally didn't do anything wrong, he just fell in love with another chick. Damn shame, that. The ending left me feeling pretty good, though. It's a decent flick.
November 22, 2009
Top-notch cast in this strange, little; but very enjoyable film. A snapshot of 21st century London, and trials and tribulations of modern life. It veers closely into soap territory, but pulls back.

Duff is a great actress deserving of bigger things.
October 18, 2009
I loved the atmosphere of this film, and the acting. I have to admit the storyline had me baffled at times - I think there were time switches and stuff going on so that I was a bit confused about who was with whom and when. But that just makes me want to watch it again.