The Waiting Room - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Waiting Room Reviews

May 9, 2016
An eye opening look into the ER waiting room of a hospital in
California. The film takes an objective and at times emotional perspective on the events of the hospital without over emotionalizing them.
January 6, 2015
Amazing documentary! Should be required viewing for every member of Congress. This is what you face if you're uninsured and unemployed or one of the working poor in America. It HUMANIZED these people. And the patience and compassion of the medical professionals was nothing short of heroic as they struggled to meet people's needs day after day in a system that was never designed for it.
September 10, 2014
sad to see how screwed up the health care system is
April 24, 2014
perilous failure of insurance that leaves so many people flooding ERs who are barely equipped for such massive swaths of ill people
February 28, 2014
A surprisingly moving documentary about the ER of a public hospital in Oakland. Well done.
½ February 17, 2014
This is a very good piece of evidence, as to why the health care system in this country has to be reformed. People without insurance can only be seen in the emergency room, and looking at urban areas, that means hundreds of people waiting hours, days, even weeks for medical care. In one instance of the film, a man with a bullet wound is left to sit for an entire day, going numb throughout his body. A young girl is rushed through, an older man tries to get help when there's no one able to, and a homeless man takes attention away from less endemic cases as he's rushed through the ER. It's a very stressful environment that's portrayed, and the implications of not having insurance are strongly shown. The people in the documentary are also quite interesting, and at times it feels more like a film than a realistic portrayal of a hospital. There's the sassy nurse, the hopeful and yet defeated doctor, the strange people coming through the ER, trying to get treatment. Not only does this film educate, but entertain, and that's difficult with such a small space and time to work with.
½ February 6, 2014
a very stark look at one public hospital ER unit over 24 hours as staff deals with overcrowding and rising tempers while doling out patience as well as medical care. We witness the struggles of regular people caught in the nightmare of insurance runarounds and falling through the cracks of a flawed health care system. What makes this especially impactful is the filmmakers choice to refrain from adding any narration to this, only giving us the footage of real people on both sides of the curtain.
½ January 17, 2014
A 24 hour portrayal of an Oakland hospital's ER. For someone unfamiliar to the public health system it gave a grave portrayal of the impoverished portion of the population. It caused me to take a step back and wonder can we fix it?, and how?
December 3, 2013
it has its moments... but still i was expecting more...
November 23, 2013
I only wanted to watch his movie to see our friend, the lovely Jocelyn Garrick, saving people like an episode of ER. What I saw was evidence that the status quo for health insurance was completely unacceptable for a great nation.
½ November 4, 2013
I've found hospitals to be a VERY interesting places. It can be explained by the recent discoveries on how collective emotions can change the physical world. This movie captures what I mean. I love how it's all about real people no actors nothing. Just raw scenes that make sense.
November 3, 2013
This is one of those documentaries where, despite everything, you're like 'If every American saw this, we'd have a better country,' which may or may not be true, but the emotion behind such a supposition is uplifting
October 27, 2013
creepily and sadly realistic
October 26, 2013
wow i have never seen a better film. the actresses should have shown their boobs more but the cinemeptography was outstanding LOL!
October 24, 2013
Should anyone question why the American health care system should be changed, watch this movie.
October 19, 2013
100%?? Your liberal credentials are showing (tattooed on your foreheads). Guess I will just stick with audience reviews, as your "Tomato critics" are obviously a bunch of Obamacare-slurping sycophants.
½ October 18, 2013
So painful to watch. Especially knowing that we could keep everyone in this country healthy. So, so sad
October 17, 2013
Come on tomatometer 100% yet the audience gives it 72% I guess the director made his donation to the critic fund