The War Lord Reviews

• Sep 04, 2020

Beautifully directed and filmed, wonderful score, well acted, well written, strange love story serves as the backdrop to the real story of tension between two brothers. Guy Stockwell is a standout. Why did we not see him in more quality roles? His scenes with Maurice Evans are worth replaying. The quality of this new Blu-ray is superb. Heston's best scenes are when he's the vulnerable warlord pining away for Forsythe. Fosythe and Farentino are fine, but lack the gravitas of the rest of the cast. One battle scene too many as they take over the third quarter of the film, and some early cheesy matte shots mar this movie. Also, why did they Have Paul Frees dub Michael Conrad and other's voices. The Warlord is an under appreciated gem.

• Jan 22, 2018

A rousing, miniature Iliad, challenging the righteousness between duty, faith, and heart.

• Apr 12, 2017

Very good and accurate depiction of Medieval times. Heston gives just slightly better than his usual one note performance. And the synopsis here says 'Mormon' knight when it should say 'Norman Knight'. I will leave that alone!

• Sep 04, 2016

A solid and sprawling film set in the pre-Columbus days. Very well made and expertly directed by Schaffner, but it's pace sometimes has a problem catching up with the material.

• Jul 17, 2014

Charlton Heston had carried off the lead is several epics before this one, however whilst he does a decent job here the storyline is not epic material and it can get laborious in parts

• Apr 06, 2014

Filme of the Four wast on, an I wast to behold thys, o magnificent Heston! 'Twas an after'noon I shalt not spend so pleasured but once a month.

• Oct 18, 2012

Lots of jaw-jutting and scowling and arrows and bloody swords and castle battles and a foxy maiden and Heston in an hysterical dark-age bowl hair-cut...Not bad for 1966.

• Apr 04, 2012

The War Lord based on a novel called The Lovers (I think) is an intelligent look at early medieval life. It portrays the arrival of a new Lord (Charlton Heston) and his interaction with the local, superstitious community. This is done reasonably well and one gets an idea of the tension between the 2 groups; the local Villagers both resenting and dependent on the Norman arrivals at the same time. This is heightened when the Norman Lord invokes the right of "Droit de Seigneur" which enables him to sleep with the Village Chief's daughter on the eve of her wedding. As an additional storyline a Freisan King's son is captured in an abortive raid which in turn provokes the final set piece battle where his father is trying to rescue him. All in all I feel this to be an excellently scripted film which gives a sense of the brooding atmosphere of the marshland fiefdom at the heart of the film. I recommend it.

• Apr 04, 2012

A movie should not be so disorganized that viewers can't even follow character dynamics.

• Apr 04, 2012

Fun at times, but really just too dated for the majority of the movie to be that effective.