The War of the Worlds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The War of the Worlds Reviews

January 5, 2015
It's nice how close this film follows the book, however the film suffers from far to low a budget.
½ April 30, 2014
God bless 'em, they tried so hard to be faithful to the novel. Yet here's proof that you can't film the written word just as it exists on the page... cause then you get 3+ hours comprised of people walking to and fro between ultimately inconsequential scenes; scenes which work when presented as one man's diary of survival but become endless padding in a motion picture.

Try The True Story cut for one that trims the fat and features better effects (because the ones here are embarrassing) cleverly integrated with period stock footage. That version is nifty. This one is bloated.
½ January 4, 2014
While it's nice to have an adaptation that directly follows the book, it's done in a poor way that keeps it from being interesting or watchable. The acting is bad, the effects are terrible, and the length is too long. Ultimately, it's more enjoyable to just read the book.
½ August 28, 2013
Wow. HG Wells would probably have turned the heat ray on himself if he saw this "effort".
½ May 18, 2013
Terrible, just badly acted, poorly depicted.
April 12, 2013
Rotten Tomatoes must have a glitch...it says 233.6 million US dollars
February 24, 2013
Seen better alien films but this one is alright.
February 7, 2013
Exciting! A classic martian attack movie.
December 7, 2012
Could be worthwhile, will see.
½ November 28, 2012
Better than Steven Spielberg's movie. I'll say that much.
November 10, 2012
I love H.G.Wells! Great Science Fiction!
October 27, 2012
This Awful Film, Is The Closest Version To The Original Novel. Although It's The Worst Adaptation, It's Faithful To The Novel At The Extent It Illustrates It As It Never Strays Of Course. I Love How Bad This Film Is, It's Perfect For Those Who Don't Enjoy Reading & Can Stand Painfully Bad Films.
September 12, 2012
This movie has awesome special effects for the SYFY geeks of the world. I was blown away, sitting on the edge of my seat throughout the entire movie. You guys will love it!
½ May 16, 2012
This is the very definition of campy. The animation looks like it was made with some kind of outdated home computer software. The chroma keying and scaling are incredibly obvious. Daylight scenes are mostly washed out, with color schemes almost entirely consisting of tones of red and brown; night scenes are simply day scenes darkened in post-production, so that they are instead washed out in blue tones. The acting is decent and the script is pretty good (being that it is a very strict adaptation of HG Wells' novel). Still, it's THREE HOURS LONG! If you're going to watch it, don't do so in one sitting. If you like campy B-movies, this one is worth checking out. If you don't, stay far away.
April 28, 2012
i prefer the one with tom cruise
April 20, 2012
I like it it... Im watching it now so i know its the correct version...
April 14, 2012
all time fav book! all time fav movie
½ January 9, 2012
This version of a great story was i think the worst movie and waste of my 3 hours to watch, the script was terrible and the special effects where unbelievably bad the worst i have ever seen. i think i could have done better with a box of matches, cigarette smoke and some trained monkeys. most of the time the people looked like they were standing still when they were supposed to be walking or riding. how it took 233 million i dont know im sorry its just a waste of money.

just email me if you want to buy my copy
November 26, 2011
i prefer the one with tom cruise
October 30, 2011
not interested .... what is this ????