The War You Don't See Reviews

• Feb 18, 2014

The left-wing approach to his journalism has not always been digested well by people but the vehement and defiant criticism that appears out there for John Pilger's work usually comes from the right wing - something that is extremely and disturbingly permeating throughout Australian society (not to mention politics). Pilger has always been a staunch critic of American imperialism and it's parallel relationship with mainstream media. The Murdoch Empire has been one of the common sources of his disdain. Here in wonderful Kangaroo/Digeridoo Land (Pilger's homeland) right now, there is a sickening embrace of all the things that the US-established capitalistic emporium has bestowed on the 'citizens' of this recently-invaded place. Two words are to blame for it: Rupert Murdoch. Not only did he campaign for this current government to be elected through his mass media outlets in the country, he done so with a smattering of lies, manipulation and scare mongering. He also allowed the leader of the opposition (then the prime- minister) to be depicted on the front of one of his newspapers as a Nazi. The irony was lost on most Australians. They went and elected a bunch of fucktard half-wits anyway. The damage being done by a leading world economy to refugees, foreign people in general, Aboriginal Australians, the natural world (the list goes on) is just disgraceful. Then the news the other day (in The Guardian, thank you very much) prompted me to have another glimpse at this film. Murdoch has been given a tax rebate of $882 million from Australia. Apparently something over currency changeovers, I'm not really sure. My mouth was agasp. The government didn't even blink an eyelid. It's all good, they said, but there is one little thing, we're going to have to cut a few things in the next budget. There will be job losses. You couldn't make this shit up. Australia would be a laughing stock of a country if there weren't serious consequences to all this. is there ever a way to sort this shit out? Am I too malcontented about things beyond my control. Maybe I'm too left-wing, maybe this film is too left-wing for it to be considered plausible or significant. But at least doing something about it with purpose and intelligence represents a way forward for people in need of a light. I don't care what others would say against him but Pilger is an exceptional advocate for attempting to find that light.

• Jul 12, 2013

Interesting, but obviously the independent documentarists have difficulties assembling a well-rounded picture.

• Jun 14, 2012

This documentary film shows exactly why Dr Mahathir's call to "criminalise war" should be taken seriously. It's a shame nobody seems to be listening

• Mar 06, 2012

A very critical and hard look at the role of journalism in today's ongoing colonial wars by one of journalism's own. Revealing, unsettling and very embarrassing for all those news organizations who air or publish officially inspired information unquestioned. That would be just about every news organization. Some surprising statements by people in the game, including those who still do not see what possibly could be wrong here.

• Aug 07, 2011

Pilger is often cast as an alarmist or an idealist on an unreasonable crusade. Whatever you want to make of him the impressive array of interviewees and the quite damning evidence produced against 'embedded' journalists and the propaganda machines of the US and UK is compelling. An impassioned call for what these governments should be providing: more democracy, more openness, more debate, more information.

• Mark C Super Reviewer
    Aug 04, 2011

Once again, a fantastic documentary from John Pilger.

Once again, a fantastic documentary from John Pilger.

• Jul 30, 2011

A political doco that is well worth a look!!

A political doco that is well worth a look!!

• May 10, 2011

Interesting if not overly engaging documentary. Valid arguments but the delivery style was a bit flat.

• Mar 30, 2011

See just some of the countless deceptions by the global mainstream news media laid bare in this powerhouse display of actual investigative journalism by the legend himself John Pilger. From WWI to Iraq, Vietnam to Wikileaks, Pilger dissects the utter failure of the news we rely on to form our own opinions in questioning, analysing and simply telling the truth. You owe yourself and your view of a reality based in fact, not propaganda, to watch this film. Highly recommended.

• Mar 13, 2011

Completely fascinating look into the dereliction of duty by British journalists & the wider British media (The BBC & ITV get a real hiding) in their reporting of what has really been happening in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. This isn't a forum for conspiracy-theory nuts, just a provocative look at why we shouldn't assume we are getting the whole story, by one of our most widely respected documentary-makers. Essential viewing, which makes it doubly frustrating that it was shunned almost entirely by all cinemas & only shown once, late night, on ITV. I wonder why that was...