The Way - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Way Reviews

August 31, 2015
An Estevez family adventure that is exceedingly predictable but for some reason still entertaining. Martin Sheen plays a rather unlikeable character named Tom who heads to the Camino de Santiago where his son has just been killed in a weather related accident (don't worry, not a spoiler). Tom decides to walk the entire route in honor of his son, and he acquires some traveling companions along the way. Each is there to find something within themselves but what they didn't expect was what they found at the end of their journey. They had become inseparable and they found that it was actually the trip which was what they needed. The film was at times humorous, heartbreaking and actually inspirational. Sadly though, it was mostly predictable. I can tell you right now that this film will not be for everyone, but I imagine that several might still find something to enjoy in this movie.
August 10, 2015
Martin Sheen at his best. Must watch movie. After this movie I would like to travel on this route.
½ August 6, 2015
Sure, it can be a bit cliché at times, but it's still a deeply personal story especially between Martin and Emilio. Plus I like to think of it as how Jed Bartlet would've walked the Camino right after Mrs. Landingham died.
August 1, 2015
Inspiring and Filmed in Spain with all its beauty.
½ July 19, 2015
Wonderfully inspiring film about finding meaning and community in the midst of loss! Inspired me to want to hike the Camino de Santiago.
June 18, 2015
I love the scenery and the holy places we get to visit. I feel it is a very sweet story about how a father gets to see learn more about his son by his unexpected death.
June 3, 2015
Is it possible to watch a film with Martin Sheen without seeing him at the US President after his long stint on The West Wing? Every time he took off at quick pace in this film I waited for Leo to pop up and offer some advice! This was a really nice film, touching on the relationship between father and son and their different routes in life. An adventurous son who sees the world as a place to be explored; a father who wonders why the son can't follow the more stable, predictable journey he took. When tragedy strikes, the father takes a different tract and learns that perhaps there is more to life. Beautiful scenery, and at the heart of it, a story of a father's acceptance and appreciation of his son's choices.
May 31, 2015
An absolutely beautiful film about a fathers loyalty to his sons memory.
½ May 30, 2015
A singularly unique, beautifully crafted masterpiece. I simply loved this film...
½ May 19, 2015
Rather disappointing--I was expecting the father to gain more incite into his son's mindset. Not Martin Sheen's best performance, either.
May 9, 2015
Ok movie. What frustrates me watching...I have been to Santiago and the walk, and there were a LOT of people walking. A lot. But you hardly ever see anyone walking except the 4 in the film. If you are going to do a movie about a real place and a real more realistic. The 4 of them would have never been so isolated on the walk and finally at the square in front of the church. It would have been packed no matter what time of the year. Do a little research!!!! OR visit the location before hand. Americans.
April 24, 2015
This is how a faith based movie should be made. Moving, beautiful, inspirational. I hugged my son after this. This should serve as a framework for how the hope of Catholic Christianity can cut through the noise and sadness of our current times.
April 16, 2015
Great movie. want to walk this path in the near future :)
April 14, 2015
Beatiful film that shows the most of times action is not need, only firm concepts, ideals, meanings and story to tell. The Camino de Santiago was deserving a movie like this.
March 28, 2015
Loved low key film. It was character driven and beautifully done.
½ March 21, 2015
For all its promise, the movie does unfortunately resort to undue sentimentality. However, some of the visuals are great, yet the camera work is not enough to steal the show.
March 13, 2015
Fuck this movie. Trying to watch it late at night on dvd, the dialogue is very low so I turn it up, then everyone goes back to walking amd the music is way to loud. Screw you Emilo, screw you
February 25, 2015
A powerful and engaging drama ; which works its way around the cliches and finds its way into your heart ! 3 Stars
January 26, 2015
Loved it! Very different. Beautiful story, music and scenery. I found myself laughing through tears the whole movie.
½ January 25, 2015
Great movie for a Sunday afternoon.