The Way Way Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Way Way Back Reviews

½ November 18, 2016
If you ever want a perfect example of a true coming-of-age story, then you're in the right place.
½ October 5, 2016
I like coming-of-age movies, and this is one of the better ones. Duncan comes out of his shell and stands up for himself after a summer at the beach. The chief architect of this change is Owen - a strange duck himself.
September 25, 2016
The Way Way Back is the directorial debut of Nat Faxon and Jim Rash who wrote this and The Descendants, and it stars Liam James, Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Sam Rockwell, Allison Janney, Maya Rudolph, and AnnaSophia Robb in a coming-of-age film about a kid and his family going to a summer home and spend time with the family's friends and meeting new friends, even though Duncan (Liam James) didn't want to be there and the mom's boyfriend is a total jerk. It had been years since I've watched the film, and I remember liking it a lot from it, which the trailers for it doesn't show the full potential that the film have. I haven't seen Liam James in any film, which I also haven't seen Steve Carell act like a jerk to the mother's son while being a bit supportive to the mother, and they both were really good in this. Toni Collette is good in this, Allison Janney is having fun acting like a blunt drunk, and for Sam Rockwell, he honestly stole the show. He's having a lot of fun of what he usually does, he brings a lot of energy to the film, and he dances in this, which is always a delight to watch. The movie knows to bring a lot of positive moments, while also putting in serious parts in here that doesn't make it sappy. It has an amount of humor and charm into it that makes the film enjoyable to watch, and with a well written script, has memorable characters that are relevant, and talks with real dialogue that is interesting to listen to. Stuff like this and Perks of Being a Wallflower are the kind of coming-of-age films that are top notch, and has that kind of replay-ability that I'll never get tired of watching it again and still get a smile out of me.
½ September 9, 2016
This is a movie where I wish I didn't watch it until the end.
Throughout this movie, you are taken on a journey of an introverted kid coming out of his shell. And this journey is done by Liam James's amazing acting. When Duncan feels dejected and doesn't belong, you see it on his face, in the way he walks, the way he talks. And when he is jubilant, feels one with the group, you see it in his smile, in his confident posture. I felt a connection with Duncan, and at one scene close to the ending, I even cried.
Liam's acting though...is the only highlight of the movie. Plot isn't original, lots of cliché's, other characters are questionable.
If it wasn't for the ending, this would have been a good, watch it once, maybe watch it in the future movie.
But the ending...well it sucked. It is sudden, inconclusive, and leaves you staring at the screen thinking "Wait...it's...it's over?"
In the end, this movie was good, but I wouldn't watch it again, and wouldn't recommend it.
September 1, 2016
A great summer coming of age film to watch, the acting and story is terrific
½ August 30, 2016
Another great coming-of-age film well done.
August 29, 2016
This was a great movie, well cast and acted to the t. The story pulls you in from the start and holds you because the characters are easy to attach to. This is a great movie most would enjoy about coming to age and summer getaways.
August 21, 2016
A charmingly brilliant feel-good film. The Way Way Back is essentially a coming-of-age tale with a light hearted twist.
½ August 13, 2016
It was an okay movie a lot of parts made no sense but it was good
½ August 12, 2016
Surprising depth and performances all around, especially that of Carrell who stretches his range here. The plot is nothing new but the script is still inventive enough to accentuate its characters and provide a fresh feel.
½ August 11, 2016
½ August 5, 2016
It's a drab teenage angst storyline, with drab characters, apart from Sam Rockwell who steals every scene he is in.
August 1, 2016
Fun and nostalgic....with a touch of melodrama ! 3 stars
August 1, 2016
A movie well worth the time. I am disappointed that it took me so long to see it. Sam Rockwell does a superb job at keeping the mood upbeat despite what Liam James' character, Duncan, experiences thanks to Trent (Steve Carell). This is an excellent movie.
July 28, 2016
This is a great coming-of-age movie. Steve Carell does a great job portraying a jerk boyfriend who belittles his girlfriend's son Duncan, played by Liam James. Your heart breaks for the awkward, shy Duncan and you cheer as he finds himself with the help of Owen, played by Sam Rockwell, who takes him under his wing.
July 24, 2016
J'ai adoré! Mais faut dire que je suis au départ une grande fan de films coming-of-age. Très bien fait, le jeu d'acteur parfait. Et Steve Carell qui prouve encore comme il peut jouer hors de ses rôles types. Wow!
July 21, 2016
Very cookie cutter script in the same film universe as films like Garden State, Little Miss Sunshine and Sunshine Cleaning, but overall an enjoyable film with excellent performances from an all-star cast and very likable characters, especially Sam Rockwell. I love it when Duncan's mom sees her sons Employee of the Month "Pop n Lock" picture at the water park.
½ July 19, 2016
A pretty enjoyable coming of age comedy.
½ July 11, 2016
Although it does not stand up to the genre, The Way Way Back is a fine coming-of-age story that manages to deliver some laughs and has a satisfactory ending - thanks largely to the acting prowess of its talented cast.