The Way Way Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Way Way Back Reviews

½ July 4, 2016
Recommended! A unique summer vacation comedy.
½ June 29, 2016
Sweet coming of ages story. Feel good to be back in that time. Nice cast and great tunes.
June 14, 2016
A perfect movie. This is the quintessential summer movie. The setting is perfect, it is hilariously funny, and the performances are astounding. This is a breath of fresh air. A top 10 favorite movie of mine. The screenplay is perfect, the performences are perfect (especially those of Sam Rockwell and Allison Janey), and.... Everything. Everything is perfect. An Absolute A+ movie. An real shame that it got no Oscar love (especially for Sam Rockwell).
June 7, 2016
Brilliant all around with exceptional performances.
April 27, 2016
Brilliantly performed, powerfully moving and rich with an amiable summertime feel, The Way, Way Back is an acutely distressing yet emotionally comforting underdog story that treats its protagonist -- and the audience -- with the warmth and compassion they truly deserve.
April 23, 2016
Loved this movie! Great summer feel good movie.
April 22, 2016
Funny and happy.
I found the main character Duncan very relatable to because I'm a socially awkward kid who is only happy at one place and I don't want to leave. This film was amazing brilliant acting and brilliant story line. I highly recommend you to watch it.
April 3, 2016
"The Way Way Back" really hits home. It's a story I could really connect with and Liam James nailed the awkward, introverted persona. All of the cast give top notch performances and the story is really ground in reality. The dialogue is natural and the movie makes you laugh in one scene, and breaks your heart in the next. It's a very different movie and in the end it left me with a warm yet bittersweet kind of feeling. This is a very good movie that didn't receive that much attention but it is worth a watch due to the impact it may leave on you.
½ March 20, 2016
Not a particularly original film but it's nice enough. An unusual role for Steve Carrel as a straight man who you're meant to dislike. Sam Rockwell is his usual self though. A bit of a feel good film really, especially if you are a spotty moody kid with family trouble little chance of pulling a decent bird.
½ March 9, 2016
warm-hearted coming of age movie
March 6, 2016
Watched this so many times already and it never gets boring. Magical and very warm a must see and a film to be added to any great collection.
½ March 5, 2016
It's a fun story with little to no fluff in it.
½ February 22, 2016
One of this generation's likable coming of age movie for the summer.
½ February 19, 2016
A pretty damn funny and overlooked movie. Would've been a blockbuster if America was more like Canada. I wonder how this movie did in Canada? There's nothing Canadian about this movie, I just think everyone looks like actual people and not that Hollywood bullshit is what i'm saying
February 7, 2016
Delightful entry in what I think of as the beyond time summer film genre. The family goes to the New England coast to a mythical place, a sort of suburban shangri-la where people can spend whole summers doing nothing and afford it. Given the opportunity, the adults while away the hours drinking, partying and trying to be young rather than actually engaging with their family and enjoying what they have. Our star ventures away and finds real fun, life lessons and new experiences. Well worth a viewing ..
February 7, 2016
The purest definition of the term "coming-of-age," yet it doesn't feel like most teenage movies in its careful detail to adolescent sentiments.
February 2, 2016
Wow, a summer movie for teens that just feels like reality. Nothing in the film seems made up almost. The acting is plain spot on. The boy in particular. Oh no, everybody was just great. The arc of the story was also plain perfect. In the extras of the dvd, there might be subtil smell of homersexuality that might have been in the film. Btw, one author is like the twin of a well know Québec actor. Many characters were like stolen from Québec. If this occurs in Florida, it makes a lot of sense. Really fun, touching and dramatic film. I was pleasantly surprised.
½ January 23, 2016
An innovative look on family in the twenty first century and the issues we all go through on a daily basis. The Way, Way Back brings charm and charisma to a wonderful screenplay that is accentuated by incredible performances all around. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who likes sarcasm, an underdog story, and who just likes film. 5/5
½ January 23, 2016
Unsatisfying ending without loose ends being tied up. Could of come sooner. Also what parent lets there kid disappear for a whole day, for days in a row without finding out where they have been