The Wedding Plan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wedding Plan Reviews

September 17, 2017
I was speechless after seeing this movie...twice. It is a really smart story, great acting, characters, the tension it builds was every bit the cliff-hanger I had hoped for. Bravo...more more more. Thank you!
½ September 13, 2017
A unique and one of the kind experience, well-acted and directed, touching, humane.
September 9, 2017
I was sobbing!! SO good.
September 8, 2017
Very charming film. The leading lady is fabulous. I love how she grows on us as the movie progresses, and I love that although she is an orthodox woman, she is unconventional too.
July 1, 2017
one of the best films of the year!
½ June 24, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this quirky, charming film. See it!
June 20, 2017
Pretty decent movie, didn't think it was going to be in subtitles but no worries :) Predictable ending somewhat.
½ June 20, 2017
Solid movie from Israel. Believable characters and a plot that keeps the tension up until the very end. Not a movie you have seen before and one you will probably remember.
June 15, 2017
So I saw this really intriguing movie called The Wedding Plan. It is kind of what Rocky would be if it were about love and not boxing. It's about a woman who lives in Jerusalem and gets ditched by her groom-to-be, yet she resolves to get married within the month. So in some ways it becomes a mystery movie - who will be the groom? She's also religious and trusts that God will provide her with a husband. This movie does not actually push faith, even though it is as tame as you would expect a religious film to be. It's not a movie that preaches how good God is. Rather, it reflects how these characters lead their lives, and that is one of the coolest aspects of this film. The other is the lead actor who plays the protagonist. She is an absolute headcase, yet is charismatic and resolved to stand by her beliefs. I'd say the actor does a 90 percent great job of owning her character. The performances are mostly good - sometimes the guys can be a little flat, but the charisma is there to carry them through. The whole premise is also highly original. This movie takes on a storyline that could easily turn cheesy, but the heavy-handed tone here totally works in its favor, conveying the gravity and importance of the groomless main character seeing through her wishes and desires to get married within the month. And the execution itself, barring the major misstep that the ending takes, is pretty interesting. It's a cool concept and gets the appropriate treatment.
THAT SAID!
I can't actually recommend you see this movie unless you can handle its most glaring, most atrocious, most heartbreaking problem.
The cinematography is hoooorrrrrrrible! Shaky cam is shaAaAaAaaAaaaaaAaAaakYyyy! See how annoying that was to read? Well, that's how aggravating it is to just view this movie. The close-ups don't always work, the constantly moving camera keeps you off-balance and when already you're already trying to shift your attention from the center of the screen where the talking heads are to the subtitles below since this is a foreign movie, the added shakiness makes WATCHING the movie rather taxing. It stinks too because you take that problem out of the equation, and this is a really cool film. If you're a fan of original films and foreign releases, you're up for trying something new and/or you can brave shaky cam from start to finish, then this movie is yours.
But if you're not interested in that, then, well...yeah, it's ok to pass on this bride.
June 14, 2017
The trailer for The Wedding Plan sells it as a rom-com, and in many respects it follows that template. However, there are more serious threads of religion, delusion, and the elusive nature of happiness explored within the story. Especially interesting for those not well-acquainted with the culture--there were many references that went over my head, especially in the representation of a divining ritual, and ceremonial bathing. Noa Koler gives a vulnerable performance as the would-be bride who can't quite get out of her own way. Watch her face in the last scene, the most telling expression since Dustin Hoffman at the end of The Graduate.
June 13, 2017
I thought it was a comedy, but most of the movie was not funny. The sparse "funny" parts were a VERY old fashioned type of humor.
June 9, 2017
This was a huge disappointment on every level. I saw nothing in the reviews that mentioned it is captioned
½ June 8, 2017
Not knowing a ton about a movie before seeing it is somewhat rare for me, and it proves to be quite a treat in one way or another most of the time. In theory, The Wedding Plan would be one of those movies, but I'd be hard pressed to refer to this viewing experience as a treat. Treats are supposed to be sweet; not nap-inducing. What could have been a film that says something about the intersection of ethnic tradition, religious beliefs, and relationships falls way short of its potential, and despite its intentions, it feels like watching an endless series of blind dates led by a weak protagonist who just cries and complains about her not having a man. To top it off, it's presented in a way that's so contrived that it goes against the realism that the movie is trying to place itself within. The movie follows 32-year-old Michal (Noa Koler) who is set to get married to her fiancÚ in one month. When he has a change of heart and bails on her, she's heartbroken and empty, and with the need to find another man and the belief that God will give her a husband if she wants one badly enough, she embarks on a quest to find another suitor in 30 days. It's incredibly repetitive and tenuous in its structure, lugging the audience around for the awkward dates that Michal encounters throughout the film--it's almost like it would have worked far better as a web series or a short film. Instead, The Wedding Plan is almost two hours, and writer/director Rama Burshtein doesn't inject variety into her work. What are ostensibly jokes fall flat and the way that Michal copes with her problems are grating because the movie doesn't call her out on her actions. In fact, the movie agrees with her ideologies and by the end of the film, it eventually forms the rhetoric of the film into a sense of regressive propaganda: if you don't want children and if you are devoutly religious, then no one should be with you, and when you're single, you simply won't be happy. The amount screenwriting gymnastics that Burshtein goes through to wrap up the film feels nothing short of artificial, and after the ordeals that Michal has gone through, it also feels obligatory. When it all ends, there's just a sense of, "Seriously? That's it? How did it take so long to say that?" All of that being said, Koler does a good job in the lead role. She's easily the most organic part to this series of moving cogs, and she gets one scene where she proves that what she does in the movie isn't her fault, but instead the movie's fault. Still, the funniest and realest part of my experience seeing The Wedding Plan was the couple, probably in their 60s, down the row from me that fell asleep after about ten minutes and proceeded to snore loudly for a majority of the movie. Now that's reality, folks! 3.5/10, awful, D, far below average, etc.
June 4, 2017
Heartbreaking and engaging . . . such a sleeper and unforgettable! This is perhaps right up there as with those best of experience gong to the movies has for us. -So many interesting and memorable characters and such high drama.
½ June 4, 2017
What a pleasant surprise this movie was! From reading the reviews and watching the trailer I thought the Wedding Plan would turn out to be a light hearted comedy. Yes, there were plenty of things to laugh at but the superb script and acting really made the viewer think about the struggles single adults face in general and in the Orthodox Jewish community in particular. I can't say enough about the acting, it blew me away.
June 3, 2017
thought it would be more upbeat. didnt mind the subtitles.
June 2, 2017
Beautiful touching movie. A rich, romantic comedy that touched on many emotions and situations single, lonely people go through, along with the pressures that come along with that status.. Comic, sometimes in a dark, humorous way. But really touches the heart. Just go along for the ride, the characters, emotions and enjoy the scenery -- it was a beautiful and funny journey! Loved this movie.
½ June 1, 2017
It is a good movie, but not too exciting for my taste. The acting is good but the script is slow.
June 1, 2017
Utterly boring, stupid religious claptrap. "God will provide" nonsense. Can't believe this film got favorable reviews. You'll be asleep in the first 30 minutes.
June 1, 2017
Terrible, I have no idea how it scored so well on reviews.