The Whisperer In Darkness Reviews

• Sep 03, 2016

Another adaptation of an H. P. Lovecraft short story from the H. P. L. Historical Society, following their short silent version of "Call of Cthulhu". Again, you can see the loving care that has gone into the production, fashioned in the spirit of the Universal horror films of the 1930s (when Lovecraft was still alive; he died in '37 at age 46). Having read this story earlier this year, I can attest to the fact that this is a very faithful rendition - to a point: after the first hour, the screenwriters have concocted their own conclusion to the story which actually ends at a fully horrifying point, leaving readers to draw their own conclusions about what happens next). Basically, we follow a sceptical professor as he travels to Vermont to meet with a local who claims to have seen flying crab-like creatures from outer space. Initially afraid, this man now has changed his mind to suggest that his new alien friends actually come in peace. But do they really? Much of the spookiness of the story remains intact and the stylized production works well but things do seem to drag - this would have been tighter as a short (as with the previous HPLHS effort). Let's hope they have the chance to make some more films!

• Jul 09, 2016

I love it! The story is good...effects are ok. The acting is super good! H.P. Lovecraft would approve!

• Anthony V Super Reviewer
    Jun 25, 2016

If you are a Lovecraft fan and haven't seen this yet, please slap yourself, then see it as soon as possible. Horror fans won't be let down either. Done in the fashion of an old Universal monster movie with style to spare.

• Sep 20, 2015

7.5/10 Very nice representation of the atmosphere of the Cthulu mythos stories. The hopelessness, the insanity and the weird given in an old-style surprise format.

• Aug 05, 2015

While not as polished or stylized feeling as Call of Cthulhu (I think that may be due to Call of Cthulhu's photography and writing) this film still completely pulls off that great lovecraftian 1930s film vibe. This one has some great science fiction aspects to it as well. If Sean Branney were to put out more films like these I would guarantee my viewer ship. Very captivating and spooky story about horror from beyond the stars.

• Jun 27, 2015

The same group that made "The Call of Cthulu," a decent adaptation of the HP Lovecraft story of the same name, that nailed the silent style, even of it was a little wordy in the title cards. This time the group faithfully adapts another Lovecraft tale in the style of a 1930s horror film, and the movie is stylish, has some decent acting for a low budget film made just for the love of it, and the effects, while out of place for the style they are trying to emulate, look pretty good. I enjoy their work. I look forward to seeing what they try and do next, because they are two for two now.

• Jun 27, 2015

Even with the low budget and bad acting it was interesting enough to keep my attention, but it lost in the end. For Lovecraft buffs only.

• May 12, 2015

In short: Entertaining modernized adaptation of an old Lovecraft story, but still faithful enough to its original source I saw this film as part of the IMAGINE film festival 2011 in Amsterdam. I booked it out of curiosity, wondering how a modern film maker would treat the 1930's source. I must confess that I'm not fond of most Lovecraft's stories. Though not having read any within more than 30 years, I'm still stuck with an impression of adjective-overloaded descriptions of monsters and their attributes. Many alternative books and stories in this same genre that I've read, attracted me much more. I'm prepared to accept that my reading sample was wrong and my bad impression is just as wrong. The film makers decided to run the film in black&white, which did not hinder me at all. It even seemed the natural way after some minutes. I'm very glad that we got sound with the film. I hate intervening text boards showing the dialog, known from silent movies. In anticipation I was a bit afraid that parts of the film would develop slowly, not unexpected given the original material, but my fear proved completely unjustified. The director was present at the screening and answered several questions during the final Q&A. We learned about the 350K$ budget, financed by the film makers out of their own pockets. They did the same for their previous 47 min short "The Call of Cthulhu", which paid itself back eventually. Understandably that several corners were cut for reasons of costs, but their love for Lovecraft did make up the rest. The editing of the material, as well as the pace in which the story develops, were adapted to match current speed expectations. Nowadays we cannot bear to watch 15 minutes of people reading letter fragments to each other, and this part of the original story was visualized differently for good reason. The finale shows a lot of action, and even some monsters. What these aliens look like, has been described by Lovecraft in much detail. These monsters could not be left out, or it would have left us strongly disappointed (said the director). Back at home I discovered the original story in my own book collection. It was bought a long time ago (1978), and I completely forgot having it. When re-reading the story, I saw some changes by the hands of the film makers in order to liven up the original. As mentioned above, the exchange of letters between Akeley and Wilmarth has been dramatized considerably. And with good reason, otherwise we certainly would have dozed off. Further, the final outdoor scenes don't appear as such in the original story, and has been invented by the film makers, if only to show a few alien monsters and to introduce some action scenes. Maybe somewhat detached from the original, especially the plane scene, but such liberties occur often enough when turning a static book into a motion picture. When leaving the theater, I gave an "excellent" score for the public prize competition. I can only applaud the design decisions by the film makers, choosing for black and white (no problem) but with sound (very good), and properly pacing the story to maintain a modern tempo throughout its duration. In other words, to a reasonable extent truthful to the 1930's style of film making, but not to such an extreme that it would be tedious for viewers A.D. 2011.

• Oct 05, 2014

Excelente los recuerdos q tenia del relato si fueron tomados en cuenta

Excelente los recuerdos q tenia del relato si fueron tomados en cuenta

• Apr 26, 2014

A solid film adaptation of an H. P. Lovecraft horror story. Much truer to the source than most of the Lovecraft inspired films of recent decades and far the better for it. Decent production values, direction, cinematography, and acting. If you enjoy Lovecraft you will definitely enjoy this film.