The Wicker Man - Final Cut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wicker Man - Final Cut Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
Quite audacious for the time it came out, this creepy cult classic should be remembered for the intelligent questions that it raises about religious intolerance and blind faith, with an also memorable performance by Christopher Lee and a terrifying, unforgettable ending.
½ April 22, 2016
Fruity as. Best watched when in the mood for some genuine 70s British kink.
½ October 29, 2015
The Wicker Man contains a certain unique brand of British horror and it was good to finally see this final cut. One thing I had forgotten was how good the folk soundtrack is.
July 26, 2015
All Sir Christopher Lee's and Peter Cushings films are awesome, i love them all and nearly got them all on DVD.
August 10, 2014
One of my absolute favorite films of all time, finally in its entirety. Chilling and unforgettable. One of those endings that you just don't forget.
July 22, 2014
I love hate this movie. It's so bad, but when it's on I just can't stop watching it. haha.
May 5, 2014
Brilliantly disturbing, with perfect performances from Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee and a delightful soundtrack.
April 25, 2014
The Wicker Man (1973) - 6

Horror film directed by the British Robin Hardy. Interesting screenplay, but unrealized by a direction that left much to be desired, in my opinion. Not wanting to sound rude, this seemed like an amateur directorial work, this an insipid film, not capable of inspiring any reaction, feeling or mood in me, except when, inadvertently, it seems to mock itself, i.e., indulging in its own cinematic limitations and banality, in these cases it either amuses or unnerves me. The only positive things I could extract from here (besides the promising screenplay) were the female beauties, one or two wonderful folk songs and some comical moments (I'm not sure they were supposed to be so). The typical mediocre movie that never takes itself seriously and I usually try to avoid, but I understand why it has acquired the cult status. Major disappointment, to oblivion.
½ March 17, 2014
What starts off slow and subdued, builds exponentially to an incredible whirlwind of gripping story telling. Eerie and haunting. Do yourself a favor and avoid the 2006 version. The original is a gritty, emotional, terrifying journey, from a cat and mouse whodunit that thrusts us into the unknown macarbre.
January 17, 2014
Never go on holiday to the Scottish Isles
½ January 7, 2014
Full of randy pagan eccentricity! Xenophobia takes on it's oddest incarnation in Britain during the 70's with Christians fearing the return of the old gods. This film is lush, colourful and brimming with eccentric characters that offset the heavy religious overtones nicely to create a truly unique film experience.
December 22, 2013
I enjoyed the subtleness of the earlier version more. This one was more entertainment than symbolism.
November 3, 2013
Still as powerful as ever - just as strange, unnerving and horrific as you remember, this cements its place as quite possibly the best British horror movie of all time
October 18, 2013
classic and old school. one f the finest horror films I've ever seen. Great Music, acting and photography.
October 17, 2013
This is the worst representation of Pagan worship that I have ever seen. True it's from the '70's but even then sacrificing any living thing was considered absolute wrong. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I hope the ASPCA laws were in tact during the filming of this movie.
½ October 16, 2013
Shortest Version, But still a great movie.
October 11, 2013
October 10, 2013
Great. Oldie and def a goodie, I'll want to see this again..
½ October 9, 2013
Seriously, I'm never going to visit a small, isolated community in an island...
October 8, 2013
Despite a few bad shots, a couple of dodgy overdubs, and THAT bottom, this is still a masterpiece of a movie. It's lost none of its creepiness. The 'final' edit is closer to Robert Hardy's original cut than the last DVD release which featured scenes in the Police Station which Hardy is now embarrassed about. This version introduces Christopher Lee much earlier and there's the song 'Gently Johnny', but nothing taking us too far from the beaten path. It's good to be reminded of how wonderful Edward Woodward's performance really is; those final scenes - with the equally wonderful Christopher Lee - are just pure cinema.