Movies Like The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest Reviews

Sundeep B

May 4, 2011
"Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?"
"Because it's there".....haunting and inspiring, i wish he did conquer the Everest in 1924.
Sarah P

April 24, 2011
A really interesting story (both past and present) and amazing footage of a place that most of us will never go.
August 8, 2012
pretty cool movie.. some parts were a little slow.. instead of all the mt everest history i would of rather seen more of the HD fantastic climbing and everest scenery. it had some interesting information on george mallory though. some of the scenes were absolutely amazing, it was an inspiring movie would of been even better without the facts most commonly known.... well worth watching!
December 12, 2013
Mind blowing and touching.
October 17, 2013
Ankler sets out t "prove" that Mallory and Irving could have conquered Everest on their tragic expedition of 1924. In fact he proves the opposite. When he and his companion attempt climbing the mountain using replicas of the clothes and equipment that Mallory and Irving wore, they soon experience the severe limitations of the 20's vintage boots and clothing. Later when they navigate the second step with modern equipment ( North face clothing, crampons, anchors etc.) they reinforce the impression that there is no way that
Mallory and Irving could have made the summit using what they had available to them at the time. Also Mallory and Irving had spent 3 months walking into Everest while Ankler and his companions had the luxury of driving within sight of the mountain. As mentioned by another viewer the false notion that Ankler was attempting the second step without protection was completely false, a piece of "dramatization" that takes away from the film's integrity. Worth watching as the scenery and the story of Mallory's obsession with the mountain and his love for his wife and family are fascinating. Less worthy is the effort to prove a summiting of Everest which was obviously out of limits for its time.
August 26, 2012
An enthrallingly scaled story of adventure, with a tragic conclusion, some may find Anker's modern day re-treading lacking but there is no doubting the power to Mallory's story. It has love, it has tragedy, it has a game voice cast and it has mountains and all in IMAX induced majesty. Inevitably the ultimate "did he do it" question is unanswered but what if? Indeed.
August 5, 2012
It was interesting in spots, but wasn't ultimately revealing in any way.
March 7, 2012
Interesting, but overwrought...with terribly melodramatic music. Also, the modern day guy isn't very likable.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
February 22, 2012
This documentary is insightful and it has power to hold your attention to it. I'm fan of adventure, and this documentary falls in that category. It has got horrendous scenes of Mount Everest's taunting posture; the documentary deals with expedition team which found corpse of George Mallory (the first man who attempted to climb this monster). A near perfect documentary worth watching!
October 2, 2011
Incredible cinematography. Such a compelling story. Anker's obsession with honoring Mallory's achievement is spooky but very intriguing.
Reanna H.
July 26, 2011
This was tonight's movie selection. It definitely didn't disappoint. This is hands down one of the best documentaries that I've seen. The story of George Mallory's climb and subsequent death on Everest is phenomenal. Amazing footage is seen throughout this film to accompany the wonderful narration. If stories of Everest and climbers interest you, I'd definitely recommend you watch this one. If you're simply a fan of amazing documentaries then also watch this one. I loved it!
Earth Giant
July 5, 2011
Loving all stories and films about Mt. Everest (ever since I read "Into Thin Air") I was in a bit of heaven last night, enjoying this fine film about George Mallory and Sandy Levine's tragic attempt at climbing to the top of Everest in the 1920's. They were last seen through a break in the clouds only 800 ft. from the summit before they vanished forever.

Well, not quite forever. In 1999, climber Conrad Anker discovered Mallory's body on a lower slope of the mountain (the body of Sandy Levine has never been found) and that discovery launched a new obsession in his mind. Among Mallory's personal items still intact, one of significance was missing - a portrait photo of his beloved wife Ruth. Since Mallory had promised her he would leave the picture on the summit if he ever attained it, Mr. Anker conjectures that the intrepid climbers may have reached the summit, only to die on their way back down the mountain. Anker's well-documented expedition of 1999 was an attempt to recreate parts of the Mallory expedition using clothes and equipment modeled on those that the original climbers employed on their expedition... things such as hob-nailed boots, gabardine clothing, and rudimentary and undependable oxygen apparatus much like those Levine invented specifically for his and Mallory's assault on the mountain.

While the film is good, there's something about Conrad Anker that seems a little self-promotional. In many ways his expedition plays out like a stunt. I noticed they seemed to bring out the old gear only intermittently. One does have to admire their decision to remove the metal ladder that has been attached by Chinese climbers to the notorious "second step," an 80 foot sheer bluff that all climbers have to negotiate in order to reach the final slope to the summit. Anker and his young English climbing partner are shown tackling this difficult maneuver with true rock climber methods, only a thin cotton rope connecting them. (One assumes the ladder was than reattached.) My greatest admiration is for the unseen camera crew who produced this film... they made the difficult climb too, and carrying heavy film equipment.

For me the best parts of "The Wildest Dream" are the old filmed segments of the original Mallory expedition. To see the mountain as it was then in all it's pristine and forbidding glory is quite a treat for Everest fans like myself. The faces of the climbers and their companions in these old film clips speak volumes on the courage and determination that those pioneers possessed. How poignant are the last shots of Mallory and Irvine as they prepared for the final assault! The film scores points too in having superb narration by Liam Neeson, with skillful actors (Joe Fiennes and Natasha Richardson) reading the letters that flowed constantly, back and forth, between Mallory and his anxious but supportive wife, Ruth. Another sad note: this was one of the last projects Miss Richardson completed before her own untimely demise, and the film is dedicated to her.

See this film for the unparalleled modern photography of Everest, the history, and the wonderful archival film clips; the thrill and adventure translate well in cinematic terms... and forgive Mr. Anker if he seems to want to make the film more about himself. He does have his own legacy as a climber that will endure. This is a grand documentary, and one you will enjoy if you care at all about the adventure of mountain climbing.
June 19, 2011
Is a good documentary to watch. The story involved is about a mountaineer named Conrad Anker who was hiking up part of Mount Everest back in 1999, when he stumbles upon a dead body(mostly preserved from the ice and snow) lying face down with arms reached out to the sides. After examining it, the name on the shirt revealed that the body belonged to the famous mountaineer and dreamer George Mallory who led multiple expeditions back in the 1920's, and was trying to become the first man to reach the top of Everest. For the next eight years, Conrad becomes fascinated and very curious to Mallory's story. It all comes down to whether or not Mallory actually made it to the top, considering he went missing and was declared dead(just before the final part of the climb. Conrad along with his small team, find the same clothes and equipment and set off to sort of-reenact Mallory's journey, to figure out whether he would have survived all the conditions of Everest, and to see if he could actually make it to the top with equipment that he had.... It's a very 'eye-grabbing' documentary for me, not only because I like traveling and exploring, but I also like watching others take on such a feet to do something that hasn't been done or cannot be done. If I was in Conrad's shoes, and found the body of Mallory, it might take over part of my life too, for I would curious enough to find out what happened and whether I could do what he set out to do.
March 16, 2011
Um documentario de tirar o folego. Literalmente!
May 15, 2011
Any movie where "Hans Gruber" does part of the narration is alright in my book. Plus good footage of a frozen George Mallory.
Sundeep B

May 4, 2011
"Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?"
andres74varela
April 24, 2011
Increible documental sobre George Mallory, el primero en intentar escalar el monte Sagarmatha o Deodungha o Chomolungma o, como los ingleses decidieron llamarlo por el apellido de uno de sus geografos, el Everest. El documental recrea un poco la grandiosa historia de Mallory y la funde con el intento de Liam Nesson de demostrar que George si pudo lograrlo en su epoca (1925) escalando el "segundo paso", ultimo escollo de piedra de unos 30 metros para la cima que hoy en dia todos sobrepasan usando una escalera que dejaron unos chinos pero que en esa epoca no existia, por lo cual tocaba a mano limpia consumiendo los restos de pulmon.
Mallory subio acompaņado de Andrew "Sandy" Irvine pero nunca descendieron y nunca se supo si lo lograron y Neeson encontro el cadaver de George, hace unos 8 anios, en un sitio donde pudo estar descendiendo pero nunca el de Sandy.
Buena historia con unos paisajes inolvidables.
April 10, 2011
Well, this is one of my wildest dreams for sure. Mallory's soul was ready for another body !! I have loved the movie "Touching the Void" (Conquering the Siula Grande).

The Wildest Dream and Touching the void are both classics and a must watch !!
March 29, 2011
Great Doc, and Hats off to the courage and passion of G. Mallory.,, must watch movie.....
March 29, 2011
Although visually breathtaking this film contains distortions of the truth on a par with the famous lemming-throwing scene in Disney's White Wilderness. The fact that Conrad Anker placed modern spring-loaded camming devices to protect himself while climbing the Second Step is completely omitted from the narrative. Worse though is when Anker relates that he could have fallen six or seven thousand feet here and pulled his belayer off as well. This is an outright lie; any climber watching this can see that he has clearly placed protection for himself in this difficult section and that his partner is secured with multiple anchors as well.

There is no mention either of the modern crampons that the climbers are using. This is another piece of technology that was not accessible to Mallory and Irving. To claim, as the film does, that the Second Step on the North Col of Everest was climbed with equipment available to Mallory and Irving is entirely bogus.

There is a really good story here that has been once again distorted Hollywood style. It is very sad that with all the resources we have today that children grow up with so much misinformation about the world around them.

I will likely not be renewing my subscription to National Geographic magazine after watching this film.