The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest Reviews

½ November 9, 2015
Narrator: Mount Everest. 29,000 feet. The highest point on earth. Captivating and deadly. In the 1920s, to conquer this mountain was the greatest challenge remaining in the golden age of adventure. Everest was the edge of heaven, where many believed no human could survive. But not George Mallory.

The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest es un evento enorme para la historia de el montañismo. Recrear los pasos de George Mallory, para descubrir que le sucedió es algo que nunca se creyó posible. Quien más que Conrad Anker para traer resolución al misterio que tanto ha interesado a montañistas por años?

Esta película no sólo busca descubrir que sucedió con Mallory, sino que nos trae un poco de trasfondo acerca de su persona y que lo motivó a tratar de subir la montaña más alta del mundo. Un hombre común y corriente con un sueño imposible que últimamente le costó la vida. Aunque no se pudo determinar si realmente logró la cumbre, igualmente es una historia interesante y es contada de una manera que mantiene la atención.

Uno de los aspectos que más me gustaron de The Wildest Dream es que honraron a este evento, y trataron de hacerlo lo más realista posible, en el sentido de que Anker y Houlding trataron de subir con la ropa y equipo de esa época. Hoy el montañismo ha sido transformado por nuevas tecnologías, y es impensable pensar en subirlo con este tipo de equipo, entonces es interesante ver los cambios que ha sufrido este deporte, y también admirar la tenacidad de estos montañistas quienes a pesar de no contar con las facilidades que tenemos hoy en día lograban grandes hazañas.
½ December 12, 2013
Mind blowing and touching.
October 17, 2013
Ankler sets out t "prove" that Mallory and Irving could have conquered Everest on their tragic expedition of 1924. In fact he proves the opposite. When he and his companion attempt climbing the mountain using replicas of the clothes and equipment that Mallory and Irving wore, they soon experience the severe limitations of the 20's vintage boots and clothing. Later when they navigate the second step with modern equipment ( North face clothing, crampons, anchors etc.) they reinforce the impression that there is no way that
Mallory and Irving could have made the summit using what they had available to them at the time. Also Mallory and Irving had spent 3 months walking into Everest while Ankler and his companions had the luxury of driving within sight of the mountain. As mentioned by another viewer the false notion that Ankler was attempting the second step without protection was completely false, a piece of "dramatization" that takes away from the film's integrity. Worth watching as the scenery and the story of Mallory's obsession with the mountain and his love for his wife and family are fascinating. Less worthy is the effort to prove a summiting of Everest which was obviously out of limits for its time.
August 15, 2013
This one is not for me.
½ March 2, 2013
George Mallory attempted to summit Mount Everest in 1924. Had he succeeded, he would have been the first. He was the one to determine the route to the summit and he created the idea of using base camps to help acclimatize climbers.

The mountaineer who found his body 75 years later decided to try and prove that Mallory could have actually made it to the summit in 1924. He had reproductions of the clothing and equipment that Mallory used. He also brought along a novice mountaineer. Although I respect what he was trying to do, I kept yelling at him the whole movie. "What is WRONG with you? Do you WANT to die you stupid idiot?!? The Chinese put that ladder on the North Face for a REASON! Why the HELL are you attempting this in JUNE? You don't have the excuse of having had to walk to base camp like Mallory did. Seriously? SERIOUSLY!?! you are wearing reproductions of the hobnailed boots to climb up at base camp 3? Good you DESERVE frostbite."

So you can see that I am judgmental and mean and a massive wuss. But really? You don't mess around like that on Everest. Even when you take it seriously you can die. It was a very interesting movie. But it was too anxiety inducing for me to enjoy it properly.
February 9, 2013
Excellent story of George Mallory's expedition. I can say with 100% certainty...this climb will never appear on my bucket list (or anything else where special equipment is needed).
November 16, 2012
good docu-drama-yeah a new category
September 23, 2012
La tengo que ver porque es la ultima pelicula de Natasha Richardson...RIP
September 7, 2012
I grew up on Everest, the majesty, the awesomeness, the legends. I remember the tragic year of 1996 when so many lost their lives, and devouring all the info I could about it. I also remember following the reports of the expedition in 1999 to search for George Mallory, and when Conrad Anker actually found him, having the info printed out from the net and mailed to me by my dad when I was working in Muskoka. So this documentary is right in my wheelhouse. It's goregously shot (what National Geographic film isn't?) and Anker has always been a likeable guy in the mountaineering community, so it makes a good combo. Anker's main goal seems to be proving that it was indeed possible that Mallory and Irvine could have summited Everest in 1924, nearly 30yrs before Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay. It's also a nice look into the relationship between Mallory and his wife, through letters they wrote each other. If you are an expert on the subject, there's still reason to watch, and if you're a novice, it's a great starting place.
August 26, 2012
An enthrallingly scaled story of adventure, with a tragic conclusion, some may find Anker's modern day re-treading lacking but there is no doubting the power to Mallory's story. It has love, it has tragedy, it has a game voice cast and it has mountains and all in IMAX induced majesty. Inevitably the ultimate "did he do it" question is unanswered but what if? Indeed.
½ August 8, 2012
pretty cool movie.. some parts were a little slow.. instead of all the mt everest history i would of rather seen more of the HD fantastic climbing and everest scenery. it had some interesting information on george mallory though. some of the scenes were absolutely amazing, it was an inspiring movie would of been even better without the facts most commonly known.... well worth watching!
August 5, 2012
It was interesting in spots, but wasn't ultimately revealing in any way.
June 26, 2012
A tale of two climbers, the legendary George Mallory who perished in attempting to climb Everest and debate surrounds whether he did in fact make it to the top. The other, dullard Conrad Anker who seems to think by showing a little reverence his exploits are in some way as interesting. Well ignore the odd re-enactment climb and concentrate on the thrilling story of Mallory and his heart felt letters to his wife. You're then far more likely to be captivated!
April 25, 2012
One of my new favorite documentaries. Told exquisitely. I love Everest stories!
March 7, 2012
Interesting, but overwrought...with terribly melodramatic music. Also, the modern day guy isn't very likable.
½ March 1, 2012
This documentary is insightful and it has power to hold your attention to it. I'm fan of adventure, and this documentary falls in that category. It has got horrendous scenes of Mount Everest's taunting posture; the documentary deals with expedition team which found corpse of George Mallory (the first man who attempted to climb this monster). A near perfect documentary worth watching!
January 19, 2012
Very good and interesting documentary. Crazy that Conrad Anker free climbed the 2nd step!
January 3, 2012
An interesting documentary about Mallory's failure.
½ January 1, 2012
could be more majestic
December 27, 2011
Very interesting documentary. There is a lot in here that can be found in other Everest docs, but this one takes a bit of a unique approach. If you've read into thin air you will enjoy this.