The Winner Reviews

• Dec 07, 2019

What a waste of a great cast. The ending is simply bizarre in relation to the rest of the movie. I have a feeling a lot of explainers were left on the cutting room floor.

• May 01, 2014

Directed by Alex Cox, this was initially intended to help him get back into Hollywood after 8 years on a self-imposed blacklist. Even though he was a director for hire on this film, he was to have followed this with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, however when a new score was put on, it killed Cox's chances of a comeback, which is a shame, as there are inklings of what could have been. Phillip (Vincent D'Onofrio) is a small time gambler who has an unbelievable knack for winning a lot, and after a winning streak in Las Vegas which lasted a few weeks, and his winning streak get the attention of a lot of low-lifes, who want Phillip's money. These include lounge singer Louise (Rebecca De Mornay), Phillip's brother Wolf (Michael Madsen), who was once married to Louise, while Louise's new boyfriend Jack (Billy Bob Thornton) also wants a cut of Phillip's winnings, and Las Vegas loan shark Kingman (Delroy Lindo) also wants a piece of the winnings too. Phillip seems to be backed into a corner, but he has his own secret agenda. It's not a perfect film, but it does have a dark and blackly comic sense of irony to some of it's scenarios and scenes, adapted from Wendy Riss's play A Darker Purpose, it does have a theatrical kind of staging to it, but no thanks to it being recut, we only get a slight glimpse of what could have been in Cox's eyes.

• Anthony V Super Reviewer
    Dec 21, 2010

This is a parade of under appreciated talent. Why Alex Cox doesn't have more respect I'll never know. He earns it here, as do Vincent D'Onofrio and Frank Whaley. If you're a fan of any one of these people, then this fantasy noir may be for you.

• Sep 17, 2009

It's a such a shame people don't give this film a chance, of course maybe people who hate Michael l Madsen and Rebecca De Mornay have a different opinion, N -E - Way I though It was a cool film specially as I love anthing with Vegas in and specially as this was one of the few films films with Michael in that I had'nt seen, N - E - Way I wasn't dissapointed Rebecca was her usual sexy Mrs Las Vegas sexy self while Madsen was his usual cool badass swaggering self, if you're a girl you'd probably just see this to see Michael with his top off and looking like he's just left a Mr Beefcake competion, if you're a bloke like me then it's for Rebecca's sexy legs, sexy hair need I say more and to learn off one of the masters of coolness that is Michael Madsen