The Winter Guest (1997) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Winter Guest (1997)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Winter Guest Videos

The Winter Guest Photos

Movie Info

British actor Alan Rickman makes his directorial debut with this thoughtful and gentle quartet of overlapping but not interrelated tales of the lives of four pairs of villagers in a small Scottish coastal town on the coldest day of the year.

Watch it now

Harry Welsh
as Boy in Teashop
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for The Winter Guest

All Critics (25) | Top Critics (6)

Moving as flawlessly and gracefully across the movie screen as the snow on its mute, chilly Scottish landscape, the film inspires amazement and awe as the work of novice director, Alan Rickman.

October 5, 2007
WBAI Web Radio

Well-made but dreary mother-daughter conflict

November 28, 2005
Film Journal International

The film's modest goals are met, and the austere technical aspects of the production further preserve the film's reserve.

Full Review… | March 5, 2002
MovieMartyr.com

A warm and winning film about the blessings of human connections.

Full Review… | March 1, 2002
Spirituality and Practice

The film deals with personal inter-generational interactions in a manner that is touching and realistic.

Full Review… | February 28, 2002
Goatdog's Movies

Acted with depth and acuity by its ensemble cast.

Full Review… | January 1, 2000
Film Journal International

Audience Reviews for The Winter Guest

½

Between a 6/10 and 7/10, while the photography of a remote Scottish fishing village is to die for, Alan Rickman's directorial debut is a bit long in the tooth.

Lee Mayo
Lee Mayo
½

Rickman's directorial debut is technically sound but the plot drags despite the best efforts of Emma Thompson and Phyllida Law.

John Ballantine
John Ballantine

½

I really liked the film, I just don't know how to describe how much I liked it. Well, put it this way ... it's Emma Thompson & Phyllida Law in a film directed by Alan Rickman ... I mean, what's not to like? It was a little long for me, & I could really only get interested in the Mother-Daughter and 2 schoolboys stories. The teenagers in love & old ladies who go to funerals .... just felt ... I don't know .. too much? Anyways, the scenery, Thompson, Law & Rickman are brilliant. Watch it.

Jenna Greathouse
Jenna Greathouse

The Winter Guest Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Winter Guest on our Movie forum!

News & Features