The Wise Kids - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wise Kids Reviews

July 6, 2015
A touching and tender portrayal of deeply unsatisfied and unhappy people. A movie with a very big, honest heart, and with more to say than almost anything you'll see in a multiplex.
September 12, 2014
Pretty good. I'm not religious and still enjoyed this movie. There was plenty of cringe looking at this little churches dealings from the outside.
November 21, 2013
Amazing. Insert myself in the characters at one time or another.
½ November 10, 2013
Admirable attempt at exploring spirituality of young people is stilted by an interminably slow story, stilted directing and subpar acting, Could have been so much better.
½ September 9, 2013
Critics seem loving it. But, sorry, I just found it so boring.
May 26, 2013
Sweet and honest coming of age tale of 3 teens in South Carolina. One of the teens, with a great name of TIM comes to terms with being gay. Set against a Baptist church community, each of the friends coming to terms with their Christian beliefs. Wonderfully acted, solid performances from the teens, especially Tyler Ross playing TIM!
½ May 12, 2013
It starts off somewhat boring, but gets a lot better about 1/3 of the way along.
May 11, 2013
I found this movie to be disturbing and uncomfortable it was trying to tackle the many questions that come up for young people on the topic of religion and faith and beliefs.
The story touched on a few things but never actually went over the line on anything.
It was quite dull and boring.
A one time watch this was for me.
May 11, 2013
Gentle but slow-burning, this film takes an unusually adept (and sympathetic) look at faith-based communities and the kids who are going up in them, wise kids who question their own faith, sexuality and identity.
½ April 14, 2013
While Cone could've went overboard the soap-opera melodrama for a material like this, he chose to create a film so honest and toned downed, the reality was so gripping that everyone can see a piece of their 19-year old selves in the leads.
April 5, 2013
Cone's feature is among the best of a recent spate of dramas observing American Christian life. Honest, observant, and subtle.
February 8, 2013
totally wonderful. intense, deeply felt and totally totally sincere; through quiet compassionate honesty it crosses a thousand insuperable barriers: the sceptic, the non-believer, the gay and the fundamentalist live side by side and noone gets hurt. They each have their moment.
February 3, 2013
Hard to imagine that there could be a less pretentious, less contrived film with such simple straight forward honesty about growing up and evolving within and beyond a well intentioned religious upbringing.

If these stories can't soften the hearts of even the most unmoving faithful "believers", i'm afraid nothing will.

No matter how weird and lost we make think we may be, we are all so very very normal right where we sit..

I hope Stephen Cone makes 20 more movies that are even half as real.
½ January 26, 2013
A film about a group of people that are about to explode. Molly Kunz, Allison Torem, and Sadieh Rifai are revelations. The whole thing is rather upsetting, but in an honest kind of way.
January 25, 2013
Loved this movie, one of the better ones I've seen as of a late. Its exploration into sexuality with a religious background was thoroughly interesting, very very good.
December 27, 2012
This movie is AMAZING!!! This was my life going to Christian youth group and stuff in high school!!! A must see!!!
½ August 5, 2012
A coming of age story spanning a few months - you are left with more questions than answers.
July 18, 2012
Brilliant movie! - deeply and creatively explores different perspectives on sexuality in relation to religion 10/10