The Wiz Live! Reviews

• Jan 20, 2018

I love the movie but this didnt even come close. I think Ne-Yo was the best.

I love the movie but this didnt even come close. I think Ne-Yo was the best.

• Dec 17, 2016

Probably my favorite Live production yet. Enough said.

Probably my favorite Live production yet. Enough said.

• Dec 15, 2016

Very good Musical. Got a lot of Black Creativity

Very good Musical. Got a lot of Black Creativity

• Jun 08, 2016

Love love love this. The music, the costumes, the band was top notch, as were the vocals.

• Alice S Super Reviewer
    Mar 23, 2016

NBC's best live musical yet! Shanice Williams has a dazzling voice and sassy moves, and I like her more yearning rendition of "Home," though I do enjoy the casting of the original Dorothy, Stephanie Mills, as Auntie Em. Elijah Kelley is a groovin' powerhouse, and I wish there were more song and dance roles for him. The story and songs got a bit repetitive by the end, Common looked like he was actively not acting, and Queen Latifah as the Wiz seemed an interesting choice but with lackluster execution. Nevertheless, it has been the most professional production so far with probably the highest energy and most vibrant (but not tacky) design.

• Feb 21, 2016

A major improvement on NBC's previous live productions. The singing and acting are great.

• Feb 12, 2016

Well, it was definitely better than Peter Pan, Live! I'll give it that. Overall I enjoyed the attempt, but I felt that this one fell short in a lot of ways. The actress playing Dorothy was clearly giving it her all, but her voice, in my opinion, was ill suited to the role. Loved the Lion and Tin Man. Their stage presence was always on point.

• Dec 12, 2015

much much much better than the diana ross version of 1978

much much much better than the diana ross version of 1978

• Dec 09, 2015

This was good, better then the other two musicals from nbc. Hopefully a step in the right direction.

• Dec 06, 2015

The Wizard of Oz 3/4/5. I don't know. The 2nd remake to the original Wizard of Oz and especially the direct remake to the '78 classic starring Diana Ross and Michael Jackson and Richard Pryor. Okay, we had an all-star cast. Cool. That didn't stop the film from being some awkwardly quirky film that tried to be way too different from the original. Don't care what anyone says, this remake nails it. A lot. So much that it's like one of the least offensive musicals. Let me explain. A lot of times, I feel the issues with the musicals is the timing. Too many musicals have too many songs and they are like 1 minute apart from each other, it might as well not be a movie. Often times as a result, the placement of the songs into the storyline and being mixed with the dialogue is just awkward and bad. The biggest thing that this remake does is eliminate redundancy. It took out awkward and questionable scenes that did nothing for the plot and sped up the storyline. Sometimes too fast. The death of the South Witch was awful. The capture scene was rushed. Some things should have been kept, the subway scene. Other things are thankfully gone like the extremely awkward backgrounds. The environments made little to no sense. I applaud the much better scenes with The Wizard of Oz. This is a fantastic film and I recommend folks to watch the original first. But this outclasses it in every way possible.