The Wizard of Gore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wizard of Gore Reviews

July 29, 2017
Pure camp gold. There's an interesting premise and some solid gore, but the plot and outcome are completely ridiculous. Whatever, this movie is fun as hell.
½ July 22, 2016
Another fascinating entry in the Herschell Gordon Lewis catalog, The Wizard of Gore may not be the least bit scary or suspenseful, but as usual Lewis treats us to an odd plot, creatively bad acting, and scenes of violence executed with a level of technical sophistication designed to appeal to prepubescent boys. Montag the Magnificent (Ray Sager) dressed like a magician from junior high school drama class, appears to murder female volunteers from the audience on stage only to have their wounds miraculously close up before our eyes. Montag delights viewers by not only borrowing the leftover white powder to dust his hair and mustache from Lewis's other killer in Blood Feast, but also by speaking with the same dramatically slow cadence. When the hostess of a talk show for housewives (Judy Cler) tries to figure out how Montag does it, she and her fiancÚ (Wayne Ratay) are drawn into his mysterious world of death. While the wooden acting by the supporting cast provides the expected pleasures, it's Sager's brilliantly goony style and bonkers delight he brings to fondling women's bloody guts that gives Wizard of Gore its real appeal. Complete with a crazy twist at the end (a la Bad Girls Go to Hell), Wizard of Gore is the movie my 12 year old self wished he would have seen on my local cable access channel's Fright Fest.
½ July 10, 2016
The movie's trailer claims it to be a "cinematic achievement", but no, it's a piece of shit. That cheesy tongue-and-cheek gore and story may of worked for the early 60's, but this one was released in 1970, so you expect more, but it doesn't deliver. The acting is atrocious, and the gore effects are classic campy Herschell Gordon Lewis stuff, really badly done. The story itself is just so ludicrious and a little incoherent. I was practicaly just waiting for the flick to end. Not recommended.
June 18, 2016
If I didn't care for seeing the whole thing I would've walked out after the first 10 minutes.
January 2, 2016
this movie is so bizarro, yes the acting is terrible but the twist ending sticks with me because its so WTF??
July 23, 2015
The acting is horrible, the special effects are cheap, and the writing is on par with the typical Goosebumps novel. Basically, it's required watching for fans of low-budget horror and b-movies.
½ April 15, 2015
Contains lots of gruesome blood-letting, but unfortunately relies on that alone rather than solid acting or anything resembling an intelligent plot.
October 17, 2014
Fucking enjoyed the hell out of this movie. Good gore, good old school exploitation death. Silly fun characters. Cult classic. Cult concept, cult execution. Watch if you are into cult gore movies.
½ July 27, 2014
March 10, 2014
While its strange, mystical sense of suspense aids it, this movie is pretty mediocre in all other aspects, and yet I still find myself enjoying it. It's got terrible acting, bad picture quality and shaky, flawed transitions between scenes (and even stranger ones when it tries to demonstrate the Wizard's "power"), but it's still enjoyable. I wouldn't call this a horror movie so much as a strange combination of fantasy and gore, but it fits my Halloween bill well enough. The Wizard of Gore doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but then, like Phantasm, it isn't really supposed to.
½ October 23, 2013
You really have to know what you're getting into with Herschell Gordon Lewis. His brand of gore and movie making takes me back to that drive-in that I never got to really go to. You have to appreciate the special effects for their time and you almost have to appreciate the acting. These movies are always fun.
April 14, 2013
Gory, but oddly campy.
March 27, 2013
A young girl is killed with a meat grinder and I Just didn't care. Now, either something is wrong with this movie or there is something very wrong with me
December 15, 2012
This movie is great! It has some bad acting here and there and contains some cheeziness, too, but what horror movie doesn't? This movie even has some better gore scenes than movies of today. Awesome if you're into 60's/70's films!
December 3, 2012
Inspiration, shocking, graphic and before it's time. This film is low budget horror god. The Godfather of gore and is it bizarre, bloody and brilliant and so much more for anyone who loves splatter films.
December 1, 2012
Its still one of my all time favorites!
½ November 18, 2012
Doesn't always make the most sense, but a fun watch anyways.
½ September 2, 2012
And here I thought the remake wasn't very good.
April 30, 2012
Pretty good and entertaining.

Montag the Magnificent is a magician who does a daily magic show and the people love to come check him out, however when people volunteer for any of his acts, there always seems to be an aftermath to it.

Several of the volunteers that went through the magic tricks, done by Montag, end up murdered not long after the show. There's a murderer on the loose, and it's up to a detective and several of his workers to try and find out what really happened to them.
April 27, 2012
I think that I will be passing on this one.