The Wizard of Oz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wizard of Oz Reviews

May 23, 2017
The most iconic film of all time.
May 23, 2017
stunning, the best film ever
May 13, 2017
Some munchkins were not particularly good actors. "King of the Forest" is not particularly catchy. I saw some lip sync issues. Okay, got that out of my system. This is still one of my all time favourite movies. A dazzling landscape that pops out in a uniquely early technicolour fashion (filming in colour with the appropriate colours would likely dazzle less), songs and lines that are short and brisk enough to stick in the memory and still resonate beyond culture beating them to death, acting that brings so much humanity to the fantastical story (especially Judy Garland), and the story. Phew. I do not recommend facing The Wizard of Oz as a direct political allegory; save that for the original book. Still, some comparisons are out there in the open. Look at Scarecrow. He don't know any better than to remain on his farm, but if he had a brain, he would know what to do with it. The Wizard is all bark and no bite, unlike Toto, but under the shroud of his chamber, he can pose as a fearless, uncompromising leader. Dorothy would love to see a world other than what she has known for her life, but she feels beholden to her family and friends, thus feels content in the subpar lifestyle of rural Kansas. Heavy-handed, does this sound? Think again. This film moves quickly and with a hop at every step. The actors are highly committed to their roles. And it's so funny. The Cowardly Lion is perhaps my favourite movie character to impersonate, in how quickly he drops a dime from snarls to weeping. As the story unfolds, you will notice many familiar tropes in storytelling. "Only bad witches are ugly?" Eek. And yet, no matter how tired you might have been of them, The Wizard of Oz takes you on such a whimsical, hopeful adventure in hardly any time at all. It is shockingly ageless.
½ April 14, 2017
You can see the template for Star Wars and a hundred other movies in this justly-lauded classic, but even after a million viewings it's the heart and sentiment that catch you, especially knowing that it was released at the beginning of the 2nd World War, when home and family were so important, and courage, heart and thought pre-eminent. A marvellous journey every time.
April 11, 2017
The widzard of Oz is one hell of movie one hell of a movie !! When doerothy fall down the stairs is the key to the movie !!! But sometimes they don't !! I favorite part is when the witch melt into plastic!!! I don't like the movie !!!
April 9, 2017
I hated classic old movies when I was a kid. All except this one. The perfect movie.
April 2, 2017
For almost seventy-six years people have gone over the rainbow and been off to see the wizard. No reason to stop now!
½ March 15, 2017
The tin man is a fag
March 10, 2017
How could someone not like this classic?
½ March 6, 2017
Sei que se trata de um dos maiores clássicos do cinema e que provavelmente o teria adorado em criança, mas vê-lo pela primeira vez em adulto, especialmente com a enorme expectativa da fama que tem e depois de ter lido o livro, fiquei desapontado. A qualidade, para algo de 1939, é excelente mas não deixa de ser uma história para crianças que, quanto a mim, carece de algum apelo a um público mais maduro como muitos modernos filmes infantis possuem.
February 21, 2017
An unforgettable classic, enough said!
½ February 5, 2017
This is a pretty okay movie, but it definitely wasn't the best movie of all time.
February 4, 2017
One of those movies that everyone loves but nobody remembers.
January 15, 2017
Took me a long while to get around to watching it, but now I suddenly get where all sorts of cultural memes come from (Lions! And Tigers! And Bears! Oh my!).

Spectacular for the era in which it was made, and it actually aged pretty well too. It's not perfect, having a few things that it never bothers to answer (for instance, what exactly is the Tin Man supposed to be? An automaton? And what about the woman who wants to put Toto down?), and it's obvious that they're trying to stretch the run time sometimes (e.g. all the singing by the Munchkins) but those are minor things and it's actually still enjoyable, and surprisingly not-cheesy, in fact not at all painful in any way really.

Moreover, it was actually pretty clever, even if a bit simple. And even if it's not the best thing ever made, the status of a classic is well-earned for all of these reasons.

I don't think I can say anything that anyone else hasn't said before, you all know the drill, blah blah classic blah blah watch it if you're a film buff.
January 14, 2017
You cannot hate this movie, or else you will not be accepted into society. I loved it so much that I bought the book (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz By L. Frank Baum) and read it millions of times. In fact, I am reading the entire series of the books.
January 2, 2017
Clearly one of the greatest film of all time, by any standard. This film has stood the test of time, and is no less fascinating and brilliant today than it was in 1939. This is the gold standard of children's films and has set the barre for the industry to come. Few films have come close to its perfect flow, soundtrack, acting, plot, directing, cinematography and special effects. The story-line is seamlessly tied together.

It is incredible that the special effects are still as effective today as they were back in 1939, despite the age of this masterpiece. My young children enjoyed this film just as much as I have over the years.

I'm glad Hollywood has not bastardized this film with a "reboot" - yet. The world does not need another horrible Tim Burton remake of a classic novel and/or film, as the modern treatment of Alice In Wonderland has demonstrated.

Whoever is the 1 "professional" critic that posted a negative review of this film is a complete fool. They should be banned from this website and is certainly no professional from my perspective.
December 27, 2016
Conceived by MGM as an answer to Walt Disney's Snow White, this sweet and colorful fable full of music and adventure will always be a pleasure to children everywhere due to its relatable characters and universal message, though it may prove a bit slow for adults nowadays.
December 21, 2016
The simplistic story and characters can be surprisingly engaging, the songs are very memorable even to this day, the cinematography is really well-executed, and the effects are especially impressive by 1930s standards.
½ December 19, 2016
Why not just hit the old woman in the mouth?