The Wolverine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wolverine Reviews

September 18, 2016
The good news for those who didn't like watching Hugh Jackman singing in Les Mis. He is back as Wolverine, the pissed-off man of Adamantium claws. Wait, didn't we have a Wolverine movie before? Yes, we did. It was called X-Men Origins: Wolverine (a shitshow no one should talk about.) But don't worry, this one is not like that. It's got great actions, a dramatic story, Ninjas, Yakuza, and Hugh Jackman (shirtless for most of the time. Woohoo for ladies.) But something is different. In this movie, Wolfie is hurt, traumatized by the past, and angrier than before. This is by far the most violent X-Men movie to date. There's blood everywhere.
Though its final act is not as enthralling as the rest of the movie, it still has the juice. Summer 2013 hasn't ended yet. We still have some goodies out there.
½ September 18, 2016
73%
The Wolverine is a smart pop-corn superhero film with all the right ingredients for action-packed entertainment.

V: 69%
September 8, 2016
The plot got quite convoluted with who's after Mariko and why, as well as how much wolverines powers are affected. Surely if his healing is subpar he can't cut through to his heart but whatever I'll accept that because he's wolverine. There are some innovative action sequences but I didn't enjoy it much overall. Also the whole big cgi villain at the end was a let down, it was to keep the old man alive, kinda, right? And I'll assume they got the science right to know how to extract wolverines abilities. I most enjoyed Ian Mckellen saying "I'll wait" at the end. A credits tease the highlight? Well that shows how I wasn't too positive in response to this film.
½ August 23, 2016
Good luck trying to figure out where this Wolverine / X-Men story comes in. It's not a sequel to "Wolverine", which was the first film. It's actually after the 3rd X-Men film, but whatever. It takes place mostly in Japan, but that's kind of a welcome change and comic book accurate (in the 80s). Slow pacing, some poor acting performances, not enough character building. There were enough plot twists to not be overly predictable. Overall, maybe my least favourite Marvel movie to date. Rating: 5.5 / 10
½ August 13, 2016
Being a die-hard Wolverine fan is a must in order to fully enjoy this movie and it's somewhat boring villains. Fortunately Hugh Jackman is still Wolverine.
½ August 13, 2016
Hugh Jackman is back for the role he can play in his sleep by now.

Fox takes another shot at a solo Wolverine film, and while this movie was flawed, compared to 2009's "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" this is certainly eye candy.

This movie was fast pace and entertaining, and gave really bad ass fight scenes with a very creepy villain.

The film's post credits scene is a good one setting up future films, and is very worth seeing.
August 13, 2016
Ok. I actually prefer the origins film to this.
½ August 11, 2016
I really wanted to like this film, what with Wolverine being my favorite superhero as a kid, and it being based on what I at the time thought was one of the best Wolverine comics ever made, the Claremont/Miller miniseries from the 1980s.

But it was just an ok action movie. Hugh Jackman is perfect as the Wolverine, but the script never really takes off. Why, oh why is it so hard to make good films with such a great character... I really, really wish Marvel could get all the rights back to the X-Men and do it right.
½ August 10, 2016
This movie could of been what 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' should of been, rather than advancing the story of a character we've gotten all too bored with. Almost.
August 2, 2016
Turned it off halfway through.
½ August 1, 2016
A fantastic, gritty, and grounded character study of one of the greatest Superheroes ever put on film. The action is non-stop, the characters are well developed, most of them anyways, and the plot keeps us craving more and more. This is a must see movie for X-Men and Superhero fans! Despite its silly third act, The Wolverine is one of the best comic book adaptations and one of the best solo superhero movies ever.
July 30, 2016
Worst X-Men movie, period. but it's not all out awful, but it has almost no depth attached into it and the villains are horribly wasted.
The best parts about the movie was the 1st act & the post-credits scene.

Overall score: 4.2/10 (Bad).
As a fan of superhero movies, I'd probably rate this a 5.5/10
but from a filmmaking & casual movie go-er's perspective (Meaning realistic) I'll stick with a 4.2/10, If you like mindless action then you will be pleased.
July 25, 2016
Better than Xmen Orgins Wolverine, 5 Full stars for Wolverine because he is my all time favourite character and Superhero is what i can imagine. That's because he can heal and he has the will to become more powerful than any other. The Big Hit is that the film is set in Japan. Cheers!

Score: 9/10
July 21, 2016
***
An enjoyable film, with a great performance by Hugh Jackman as always. It's good silly, well made fun. However, it's a bit overlong, and the last 30 minutes divulges into pure stupidity and madness. Still, it's good to see a Wolverine that actually kicks people's ass.
July 18, 2016
The most underrated of the X-men movies.
July 17, 2016
loved it. as close to the comic version as it could. Jackman is Logan.
July 17, 2016
(Extended cut) Hell, I like it. Great fights, excellent photography, story is not boring, all the Japanese actors are superb and Jackman is awesome. What's not to like?
July 11, 2016
The Wolverine is definitely the most violent and intense X-Men yet. Wolverine is brought to Japan, and must protect a powerful industrialist's daughter from the yakuza. Wolverine begins losing some of his power and must regain his healing power and defeat a powerful threat by the end. Overall, The Wolverine isn't perfect, but it is a very good representation of Wolverine's character.
July 10, 2016
Adequately thrilling with mixed plotting perspectives, The Wolverine marks an improvement over its spin-off predecessor while fighting its own cliched motives of twists and turns.
½ July 5, 2016
wasn't good.. it was pretty bad