The Woman in Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Woman in Black Reviews

March 21, 2017
Though it occasionally relies on empty jump scares, The Woman in Black is a gothic, beautifully crafted ghost story told with old-fashioned spookiness, emotional backstory and a poignant observation on loss -- all while delivering some of the most skin-crawling chills and breathtaking scenery since The Ring.
February 18, 2017
The Woman in Black is good at times, but a slow start filled with jumpscares and a pretty lame ending ruin the perfect tension and scares in the second act of the film. The ending also makes no sense whatsoever.
½ February 15, 2017
This film scared me to death. Literally. But it isn't just the close up shots of a wasted, shrivelled woman looking directly at you, no way, there's a lot more to it than that. The actors, however renowned they are, no matter how good they are in the majority of films, are really quite appalling in The Woman In Black. That scene where Daniel Radcliffe is scrambling around on the floor for his candle had me in FITS of laughter- This certainly was a turn from Harry Potter. The plot was quite easy to follow, but the film itself was very slow, and could have probably gotten the message across in the first twenty minutes. But noooo, the film had to be drawn out nice and sllooowwww. You'd probably get more out of the wikipedia page, if you want to actually enjoy yourself. The last thing I would like to say about The Woman In Black is the fear levels. For me, who isn't a particular fan of the horror genre, I thought that this was VERY scary, even though I could predict almost every twist and turn, every jumpscare. I think that the ratings should be brought up slightly, as it has a lot of scary content within, just about as scary as the level of acting.
January 18, 2017
Fantastic acting, a beautiful setting and an interesting story, but... a sure fire way to lose me with any horror movie is to have your soundtrack orchestra punch their instruments every time you show something scary. This movie does that - a lot. Every time. BANG. BANG. BANG. I GET IT. I'M SUPPOSED TO BE SCARED! But all you do is startle me and take me OUT of the moment (especially since most of the scares are false or not even seen by the characters).
January 17, 2017
Watching it!!! With my friend Sara .
January 14, 2017
Good enough to be considered a nice Thriller movie. Yet, the story has many unclear points and the acing could be better. The ending could have been more interesting as well. It si the kind of movies you can see when relaxing at home but the one that you forget easily.
January 3, 2017
The Woman in Black, is the best known version of a story which began as a novel and was made into a 1989 TV movie and a play, and has been followed by a sequel film. Starring Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame, and featuring Ciarán Hinds (Mance Rayder in Game of Thrones) and Roger (DI Fred Thursday in Endeavour,) The Woman in Black is an old fashioned Gothic horror story, set in a creepy house in a remote weird village, where the disconsolate ghost of a woman who had lost her child takes vengeance by killing the children of the village. Radcliffe plays a young lawyer sent to sort out the affairs of the house's deceased owner. The film is a mixed bag: the early 20th century atmosphere is very vividly realized, and the film gets its effect from well done continual menace rather than gory special effects. It's been criticized for going through every horror film cliche in the books -- mysteriously hostile village yokels, a haunted mansion, furniture moving with no one in it, etc. -- though these standard characteristics are very well done. My main dissatisfaction personally is that the film sets us up for a basically happy ending which it then fails to deliver. All in all, I'd give this three and a half stars if I could. You'll want to watch it if you are a real fan of ghost stories. The CBS Films Blu-Ray disc is of excellent quality. Advisory: rated PG 13, the main caution is that some people (not everyone) say they find it genuinely scary.
½ December 6, 2016
Highly atmospheric with exquisite filming locations, a well-woven story-line, and great acting (especially by Daniel Radcliffe), this is a highly-enjoyable horror flick. It's not as bloody and violent as many horror movies nowadays and doesn't have a jump-scare-a-minute, but in my mind this kind of slightly slower build (don't let that description shouldn't fool you though, because the movie is well-paced, and never feels "boring") leads to a more extreme feeling of terror when something scary does indeed happen, and the scares are generally orchestrated in a superb manner with little in the way of "cheesiness" (which horror movies can easily and accidentally fall into), leading to some intensely frightening scenes. This movie is permeated with a richness of artistic cinematography, and understands that sometimes evil is most frightening when only glimpsed momentarily and/or obliquely. This film would definitely qualify to be among the upper echelons of the "haunted house" movie brigade and is well worth a look as an example of what I might like to call "beautiful horror".
November 7, 2016
It is an entertaining film, and it manages to keep your attention. Tight direction. Just not sure that the acting here is far enough away from the boy wizard, Harry Potter to make it enjoyable enough.
November 2, 2016
The Woman in Black felt like an old-school horror movie done right. Subtle in its scares, and filled with tense moments, this is a solid film. My issue was that the movie seemed to have more bark than bite, with good scares leading up to an ending that wasn't as exciting as I hoped it would be. The plot also seemed thinly written, but it hid itself in its mystery theme good enough. Daniel Radcliffe was excellent in his role, and I really dug his performance. Spooky, tense, but not quite satisfying enough for me, The Woman in Black is a good horror movie I would recommend to those who are patient with their films
November 2, 2016
Old fashion scary. An excellent experience in the movie theater, especially watching folks jump in their chairs.
October 22, 2016
Daniel Radcliffe opens a lot of doors, whilst things happen behind him....
October 10, 2016
This movie scared the shit out of me the first two times I saw it.. I saw the Conjuring which people said was super terrifying but this definitely scared me more. So... good job.
October 10, 2016
Spooky! I like this stuff a lot better than gore-filled jump-scare garbage.
September 16, 2016
Really didn't expect to like this, but I did. Really creepy once it gets going and I loved the ending.
September 6, 2016
Good film. Quite scary for a 12. Must of been a borderline 12 definitely. Watched it with the kids on Blu Ray and we all found it very enjoyable.
August 11, 2016
If you don't try and compare it to other movies and jusy enjoy the story it is really good.
½ August 9, 2016
Harry Potter plays a barrister specializing in bog law who think he's a Ghostbuster. Maybe the movie would have come out differently had he shaved at some point? Who knows.
½ August 9, 2016