The Woman in Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Woman in Black Reviews

½ November 7, 2017
A solid gothic chiller with many scary and unsettling scenes,that is somewhat ruined by an uneven story and slow pace.
November 3, 2017
The best filmed ghost story since The Others, principally because director James Watkins understands that less is more. So here the famous narrative of young solicitor Arthur Kipps travelling north to the spooky island mansion to sort the deeds of its owner becomes a haunting and very unnerving elegy as bodies are exhumed and faces appear at windows. Daniel Radcliffe is terrific in the central role, and there's a very good and subtle score by Marco Beltrami.
October 14, 2017
Reasonably well-filmed, but mechanically predictable. Fundamentally adequate but never really rising above that.
½ October 14, 2017
La historia y el setting son muy interesantes. Fuera de lo convencional y un final triste pero predecible a la vez.
September 29, 2017
Excellent performances and solid story. Wonderful setting as well.
August 28, 2017
Not bad. Better than expected. Watch it with lights off and a great sound system and you'll get some great jump scares.
½ August 25, 2017
Decent horror offering featuring a good atmosphere, a competent Daniel Radcliffe and one particularly excellent jump scare. My main issue with it is not so much the lack of originality per se but the notion that a more complex, meatier script would redeem what essentially is yet another haunted house story where ghosts stroll around pestering people for the shitty things that happened to them while they stay there to solve the mystery instead of beating it in the first minute like we'd all do.
½ August 21, 2017
6.5/10 Nice atmosphere, but plotwise is a bit too predictable and does not have an outburst like we expect. Just nice overall.
½ July 31, 2017
A good ghost story with beautiful cinematography.
July 16, 2017
Pretty linear and basic as far as horror story plot and generic attempt at resolution of the haunting. Played on jump-scares a bit too much. I liked the old-fashioned appeal of the film and I think Radcliffe looks and sounds the part as well but his limited and/or lack of facial expressions when it came to shock and fear made the film seem less engaging. Somewhat liked the choice of ending though.
June 30, 2017
decent atmosphere and acting cannot save it from a slow, nonsensical plot and poor directing.
June 13, 2017
I really like this film. If know what it is and is scary
May 7, 2017
This looks like a genuine horror film.
April 9, 2017
Even though the film is supposed to be about her, and is even named after her, we get very little time with the Woman in Black, and when we do it's a two dimensional portrait of a creature from hell, so it's hard to relate to her. What does she eat? What does she keep in the fridge? Her favourite song? These are just some of the questions that go unanswered and as a result it's highly unlikely that any young girls will want to be like the Woman in Black.
March 21, 2017
Though it occasionally relies on empty jump scares, The Woman in Black is a gothic, beautifully crafted ghost story told with old-fashioned spookiness, emotional backstory and a poignant observation on loss -- all while delivering some of the most skin-crawling chills and breathtaking scenery since The Ring.
February 18, 2017
The Woman in Black is good at times, but a slow start filled with jumpscares and a pretty lame ending ruin the perfect tension and scares in the second act of the film. The ending also makes no sense whatsoever.
½ February 15, 2017
This film scared me to death. Literally. But it isn't just the close up shots of a wasted, shrivelled woman looking directly at you, no way, there's a lot more to it than that. The actors, however renowned they are, no matter how good they are in the majority of films, are really quite appalling in The Woman In Black. That scene where Daniel Radcliffe is scrambling around on the floor for his candle had me in FITS of laughter- This certainly was a turn from Harry Potter. The plot was quite easy to follow, but the film itself was very slow, and could have probably gotten the message across in the first twenty minutes. But noooo, the film had to be drawn out nice and sllooowwww. You'd probably get more out of the wikipedia page, if you want to actually enjoy yourself. The last thing I would like to say about The Woman In Black is the fear levels. For me, who isn't a particular fan of the horror genre, I thought that this was VERY scary, even though I could predict almost every twist and turn, every jumpscare. I think that the ratings should be brought up slightly, as it has a lot of scary content within, just about as scary as the level of acting.
January 18, 2017
Fantastic acting, a beautiful setting and an interesting story, but... a sure fire way to lose me with any horror movie is to have your soundtrack orchestra punch their instruments every time you show something scary. This movie does that - a lot. Every time. BANG. BANG. BANG. I GET IT. I'M SUPPOSED TO BE SCARED! But all you do is startle me and take me OUT of the moment (especially since most of the scares are false or not even seen by the characters).
January 17, 2017
Watching it!!! With my friend Sara .
January 14, 2017
Good enough to be considered a nice Thriller movie. Yet, the story has many unclear points and the acing could be better. The ending could have been more interesting as well. It si the kind of movies you can see when relaxing at home but the one that you forget easily.