The Woman in Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Woman in Black Reviews

November 11, 2016
Though it occasionally relies on empty jump scares, The Woman in Black is a gothic, beautifully crafted ghost story arranged with an old-fashioned vibe and a poignant observation of loss -- and offers visual fans some of the most delightfully atmospheric scenery since The Ring.
November 7, 2016
It is an entertaining film, and it manages to keep your attention. Tight direction. Just not sure that the acting here is far enough away from the boy wizard, Harry Potter to make it enjoyable enough.
November 2, 2016
The Woman in Black felt like an old-school horror movie done right. Subtle in its scares, and filled with tense moments, this is a solid film. My issue was that the movie seemed to have more bark than bite, with good scares leading up to an ending that wasn't as exciting as I hoped it would be. The plot also seemed thinly written, but it hid itself in its mystery theme good enough. Daniel Radcliffe was excellent in his role, and I really dug his performance. Spooky, tense, but not quite satisfying enough for me, The Woman in Black is a good horror movie I would recommend to those who are patient with their films
November 2, 2016
Old fashion scary. An excellent experience in the movie theater, especially watching folks jump in their chairs.
October 22, 2016
Daniel Radcliffe opens a lot of doors, whilst things happen behind him....
October 10, 2016
This movie scared the shit out of me the first two times I saw it.. I saw the Conjuring which people said was super terrifying but this definitely scared me more. So... good job.
October 10, 2016
Spooky! I like this stuff a lot better than gore-filled jump-scare garbage.
September 16, 2016
Really didn't expect to like this, but I did. Really creepy once it gets going and I loved the ending.
September 6, 2016
Good film. Quite scary for a 12. Must of been a borderline 12 definitely. Watched it with the kids on Blu Ray and we all found it very enjoyable.
August 11, 2016
If you don't try and compare it to other movies and jusy enjoy the story it is really good.
½ August 9, 2016
Harry Potter plays a barrister specializing in bog law who think he's a Ghostbuster. Maybe the movie would have come out differently had he shaved at some point? Who knows.
½ August 9, 2016
That was a GREAT ending.
August 4, 2016
Matt Hannah Sam Hayley
July 23, 2016
Slow, but truly terrifying.
July 22, 2016
Amazing great jumpscares­???­???­???­??╗
July 7, 2016
A more traditional horror movie. It focuses less on the scares and more on the creepiness of the film. Yes, it's a little cliche and has some jump scares, but I find this better then the gornos we call horror today. Radcliffe was great in the movie and the movie was drenched in atmosphere
½ June 10, 2016
Old school scares abound in this Edwardian era ghost story, proving you don't need an overly complicated premise to ratchet up the tension - just some really creepy wind-up toys and a suitably dark old house. And a crazy old ghost, obviously. Radcliffe delivers again and Ciaran Hinds provides able support as always.
June 1, 2016
After three decades of hiatus, gothic scare-fest masters Hammer Film Productions returns to England with a grass-roots classic. Woman in Black is a tasteful, creepy-to-the-extreme film adaptation of Susan Hill's 1983 novel, now second longest running West End play in history.

Director James Watkins allows the stories mounting sense of mystery settle bleakly into our psyche, ominously desperate the spine-tingling tale disturbs viewers into an apprehensively unsettled mood, recoiling at the slightest unexpected motion. From its isolated landscape, haunted architecture, paralyzing soundtrack, bizarre set pieces, intimate characterizations and confronting theme, the forebodingly tense sense of expectancy is genuinely palpable.

Unable to maintain his duties by still grieving for his wife whom died during childbirth four years past, London solicitor Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe) is faced with the threat of losing his job. Forced to leave behind his observant little boy Joseph (Micha Hendley), Kipps returns to work by traveling to the remote village of Crythin Gifford in the Yorkshire countryside to sort the affairs of the recently deceased owner of Eel Marsh House.

Upon arrival, the ever grey, muddy and miserable marshlands reveal they are aptly named; but his reception by the local that is truly chilling. The branded outsider is reluctantly given an attic room at the town inn for only one night and come morning the townspeople's determination to run him out of town is extreme.

Kipp bribes his way to the decrepit mansion and begins the obviously laborious task of organizing the deceased paperwork; but something looms. Leaves rustle, cold winds howl and peculiar noises hinder his progress, arousing suspicions of something unnatural.

Having met on the train into town, Kipp is invited to sup with the wealthy Samuel Daily (Ciaran Hinds) and his disturbed wife (Janet McTeer). After an uncontrollable outburst from his wife, the skeptical Daily explains the local's apprehension.

Years prior, the owners of the mansion lost their young son in an accident on the marsh and never found his body; heralding the beginning of a rash of bizarre occurrences. If a shadowy apparition of a shrouded woman in black is seen soon after a local child will be found dead in dark circumstances.

Adding credence to legend, Kipp had seen but excused this abnormality twice upon his visit so far resulting in two deaths. Realising the shocking dilemma that Joseph and his nanny is due to arrive the following day, Kipp must find a way to placate the vengeful looming cadaver and spare his son.

Highlighting the gaping chasm between international horror fare, without the American's overwhelming desire to repulse viewers with obscene gore, the English gracefully shave strips of goose-prickled flesh and slither into viewers sub-conscious fears subtlety.

Radcliff's expressive ashen features simply pour with grief; Hinds gently commands authority while McTeer balances precariously on the edge of madness. But the real star, is the haunted house.

A masterpiece of production design; the blocked by the rising tide causeway isolates the crumbling and forlorn Victorian mansion. Cob-webs shroud the jumbled possessions while the decrepit nursery filled with bizarre musical antique toys is detailed to a flaw. Three glazed wise monkeys hear, see and speak no evil but are certainly a front for it.

Attempting to cast of the shackles of being one of the most iconic single-role child stars; the now 22 year old Ratcliff's cinematic choices are crucial in helping him carve an independent adult career. The Woman in Black is his first role since the Harry Potter's period/fantasy franchise concluded and already the prospect of typecasting is becoming all too apparent.

To date (and including his next two announced projects), the still school-boy faced headliner has never taken a role set in a present day story. Although his dramatic style is perfect for this path, if he wishes to stand the test of time and stay internationally favored, an expanse of his repertoire is desperately needed.

The Verdict: Simple, effective and stimulating in all the right ways, sometimes a well dramatized thriller can cut closer to the wick and draw more blood than a knife slashing horror.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 25/05/2012
½ May 23, 2016
Although it dragged in the beginning and the plot was "heh" it had potential when you are looking at it from the scare tactics used to get audience. I wonder how part two will pick up.
May 20, 2016
Excellent movie set. I love the rich architecture. Daniel Radcliffe is amazing in this movie. Interesting and creepy in a way that will make you feel anxious and on edge.