The Woman in Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Woman in Black Reviews

May 15, 2016
The production is impeccable, the atmosphere is creepy enough to make you feel chills, but The Woman In Black still suffers with a slow pace and a predictable narrative. (3/5)
April 29, 2016
Although it's often noticeably reliant on cheap jump scares, The Woman in Black is a chilling retrospective ghost tale that gives a compassionate backstory for its titular antagonist while offering horror fans some of the most aesthetically mesmerizing atmosphere since The Ring.
½ March 20, 2016
Spookily suspensful without gore and anchored by a strong post Harry Potter performance by Daniel Radcliffe. The Woman in Black marks a return for Hammer Films by seeing them revisit the old gothic horror tropes and keeping them fresh. Though the ending falls short in some way.
½ March 17, 2016
atmospheric and a grand hammer horror film for today's audience. I enjoy these Victorian set horror films and the house holds enough twists to keep this one alive until the bitter end.
March 6, 2016
Nicely old-fashioned, beautifully shot and with quite a few goosebump inducing scenes. Only the ending falls a bit short.
½ February 16, 2016
I was disappointed in the ending I also found it hard to pay attention to this movie would not rent it i thankfully got it from the library so it was free
½ February 16, 2016
Atmosphere is building-up good but just those same old things again & again after all.
February 15, 2016
Great! Really really scary too!
February 14, 2016
Bad acting, bad script, not even remotely believable, couldn't keep me watching until the end. Awful. I like a good ghost movie believe me. This was terrible!!! I do believe the only thing making this remotely successful is Daniel Radcliffs fan base.
½ February 14, 2016
I have found very few horror movies that are even decent this is one of the best I have seen in a while. Granted its more creepy than scary it still has a good story with plenty of creepy scenes.
February 11, 2016
I've never been a fan of the horror genre, unless somehow done with a sense of humour (American Werewolf in London, Fright Night, Little Shop of Horrors, Dark Shadows), for horror films taking themselves seriously to me may just be more humours, yet because of the back door effect, humour of little merit. For the intent is to scare and shock, but since I've never been one to scare easy, especially while watching a movie which you know is not real and contrived, what's a person to do? And personally, I think that if you're an adult and are scared by such movies, I really can't see why. Me?. Hell, I was the one walking through Knots Scary Farm barely flinching as the ghouls and goblins ran around screaming scaring the daylights out of all the girls in our group.

That aside, there just wasn't enough story here or build-up to make this intriguing or interesting. The general plot was obvious right up front. Yes,a woman loses her child and she's out to exact revenge on the world. But why? Aren't there many other women or people of such loss? Sure, but the world is not full of people in black terrorizing children. What makes this woman so special in the spirit world where she exacts revenge by killing innocent children of innocent parents? That alone should have you guessing the logic of the brunt of this film.

There are many other horror films or sub-genres that do a much better job of building a story and developing characters. This film certainly wasn't the worst I've even seen, but not worth writing home to the family crypt about. Serviceable.
February 9, 2016
Just wasn't scary enough, and the scares it did manage to deliver were mostly of the "oh ok" variety... vs "holy $h!+". Might be scary enough for movie fans who don't want that many horrors.
February 3, 2016
First off let me just say this has got to be the most scariest film with a 12 certificate i have seen. Daniel Radcliffe stars as arthur whoms job has sent him up north to arrange paperwork for a house who the owner recently died. An excellent horror film that is damn right creepy and chilling. This film had all the right elements in it to make a very good spooky film.
February 2, 2016
Daniel Radcliffe leads the cast in the atmospheric horror-thriller The Woman in Black. After being sent to a small town to assess an estate, a young lawyer starts to see a mysterious woman in black that is said to be a vengeful spirit that kills children. The writing is pretty strong, and does a good job at weaving the mystery of who the woman is and how to quell her thirst for vengeance. Additionally, the costumes and sets are especially well-done and help to create a creepy and foreboding tone. Full of chills, The Woman in Black is a frightening horror film.
January 25, 2016
Really enjoyed the movie and Radcliffe's performance.
January 21, 2016
Mediocre story with less than good scares. Could've done a lot more with the story. There are better horror titles to choose from but if you end up watching it you won't walk away frustrated with your choice.

Not one for your collection.
January 18, 2016
A great first horror movie, and is suitably tense throughout, though not as memorable the next day.
½ January 8, 2016
I think I wanted to like this film a lot more than I actually did. I'm all for slow, suspenseful horror which relies on mood instead of CGI scares but this doesn't really work on that front. The plot also manages to be both terribly simple and also a bit incomprehensible which is an impressive feat. I've never seen Radcliffe as an actor before and he's fine here, not bad, not particularly good...just fine. I'm not selling it to you am I?
½ January 1, 2016
Great film. Scared me lose of times fantastic horror movie
December 30, 2015
Surprisingly pretty good. Wasn't sure how I'd warm to Daniel Radcliffe playing anythjng other than Harry Potter but a very serious role for him with gripping amounts of jumpy-ness