The World Is Yours (Le monde ou rien) Reviews

• Jul 10, 2020

This is the first movie review I am writing, so I hope to get it right. I have found this movie entertaining and absolutely loved Isabelle Adjani's performance; however, I felt uncomfortable with the roles of women in this story and this seems to be becoming a trend with recent French movies (or maybe I was just unlucky with my recent picks, I'll leave it to the consideration of other female viewers to either confirm or refute). This is the story of a conman who is constantly upstaged by his mother and after having her saving his neck in one last coup, decides to mercilessly abandon her to the police. He is also desperately in love with a cunning young woman, to whom he offers cash to have sex with (it could have been camels, but times have changed) and this is supposed to be the pillar of a solid relationship, as we are left to believe, by the end of the movie. Overall, I wasn't pleased with the take on women in this movie, whom the main character perceives and treats as something you can buy, use and dispose of and I wished for a better ending for a strong, funny character such as Danny.

• Apr 15, 2020

A sweet, endearing and fun caper movie full of edge-of-your seat twists and turns that depicts the coming of age of a young man from a petty criminal family who simply wants to go straight and live a quiet life with the girl of his dreams. All in all, a clever "who dun it!" A must watch film by the talented son of legendary Greek Costas-Gavras, famed director of "Z" and "missing".

• Dec 04, 2018