The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom Reviews

February 13, 2016
This movie will suck you in. Set in the 70's, it follows a young girl finding out she is adopted, slow start but give it 30 minutes, you won't be disappointed.
September 29, 2014
Drama telling us the story of Elizabeth; she is an 11 year old Canadian girl in the 70's that has just discovered she is adopted. Emotional upheaval follows extreme surprise and trying to make sense of her situation she decides to find out her birth mum. She has a birthmark in the shape of a butterfly just as her idol, Dolly Parton has. She then decides to ask her if she is her daughter. For that purpose Elizabeth travels on her bike to Dolly's next gig, Minneapolis to the disappointment of her adopted mum Marion that pursues her in a car.
This is partly a journey to the chore of this mother-daughter relationship, partly a coming of age tale and partly a road movie. There is a good intention here somewhere it is just too dumb to believe an 11 year old is going to make that journey on a bike and that miraculously the mother is going to find her. Also the girl is properly looked after why risk her life to ask something so idiotic to Dolly Parton? Plus the border crossing scene goes beyond dumb, it is just plain unbelievable. It isn't boring, it is indeed quite a dynamic film but I just find the struggle between mother and daughter insincere, as Marion has been a dotting parent. I say that despite the really good acting of the two main leads and the very accomplished atmosphere recreating the 1970s. It is like the movie is trying to teach us a moral lesson but that doesn't quite ring true. I don't know you but I don't like it when a movie is too easy so it chews and digests everything for you. I like it when they give me the space to make up my mind and form an opinion on my own. It is certainly not the case here.
½ August 1, 2014
This Canadian film very clearly showed the journey of Elizabeth in understanding that expression of gender, what it means to be a woman and identity have very little to do with biology. There are very clear nods the Thelma and Louise, and fans of Dolly and Judith Butler will likely enjoy this equally.
May 11, 2014
Way too far fetched and not even interesting in being so. A woman in the 1970s who didn't drive? A eleven year old girl who wants to get her period? A mother who discovers that her daughter has been missing for an undetermined amount of time and she doesn't call the police? A eleven year old girl dressed like a hooker who runs away and doesn't get abducted? One would think something this much of a plot stretch would at least be interesting, but it's as slow as molasses in January. The plot blurb sounds like it might be charming, but it's not.
March 28, 2013
I watched this and I was expecting Dolly Parton to have a part in it but she didn't and that was kinda disappointing if her name is in the title why couldn't she have made an appearance like that really pisses me off
March 19, 2012
A heartwarming coming-of-age story about a Canadian girl looking for her identity, her voice and her biological mom.
½ September 21, 2011
Low-key, rather slow, but entertaining movie about a girl who finds out she is adopted and runs away to meet Dolly Parton, who in her mind, may just be her biological mother.
April 9, 2011
Very well done Canadian movie, just goes to show that Canada can make their own good movies, saddest part is that our own country and people don't want to support our own films.
March 10, 2011
Superbe film canadien, superbes acteurs et belle histoire...