There Goes My Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There Goes My Baby Reviews

September 10, 2013
This movie is not for someone who is already depressed. I love-hate this movie. The beginning until about 3/4 of the way through is great.. fun.. full of promise about the kids' future. Then it gets morbidly depressing. Other than that, I love this movie. Rick Schroeder doesn't have many parts, but the ones he has are spot on. Noah Wyle does an awesome job, and so does Dermot Mulroney. Kelli Williams, Lucy Deakins and Jill Schoelen get in some great scenes. Especially Kelli.
July 14, 2012
One great film & hands down, one of Jill Schoelen's most sadly underappreciated & all-time best movies in my strong opinion, Schoelen especially gives a spectacular, terrific & big standout performance as Babette....the excellent cast(notably Rick Schroder as Stick)too is equally noteworthy!
Highly, highly recommended for my most wonderful, greatest fans of Jill & 60's nostalgia!
March 25, 2012
greatest movie ever my opion of course lol damn i wish i could of been there
October 5, 2011
A superficial look at 1965 High schoolers during the Vietnam era. It has the potential for a better film but the movie suffers from too many characters, stock characters (e..g the principal Mr. Maran is a jerk), and shifts scenes so quickly that you don't know what the director is aiming for. The soundtrack is fine but why is called "There Goes My Baby"? and not another song. The acting is subpar by Rick Schroeder, Dermot Mulroney, Kelli Williams et al. Only Noah Wyle and Kenny Ranson as Calvin piqued by interest. A disappointing film especially with the potential for a great drama.
June 23, 2011
I can't lie, I didn't give this film a fair amount of attention when I caught it on television around midnight. But that wouldn't have been an issue if it was more captivating, innit? Floyd Mutrux's directing ability was decent, he seemed to be able to coach the performers into their roles quite well. Then again, the script didn't feature the deepest personas in cinema either. In fact, they were pretty much all the typical personalities you'd find in a teen flick like this. It brought some intriguing perspective regarding the issues of '65 in the U.S. for graduates, but overall the plot wasn't that interesting.
June 5, 2011
This is like one a 60s nostalgia script from the 80s that they passed on, and picked up again in the 90s. They had good intentions with it, but the acting and characters are lame and the story is predictable. There's a good 60s feel to it, though, so it gets nostalgia points. Overall, it's okay, but it could have been rewritten to be a much better movie.
½ May 24, 2011
The characters in this movie are so underdeveloped; their personalities could be described in 2 words or less. This movie bored me to tears. It was only 90 minutes, but it felt much, much longer. There was a lot of stuff going on, but most of it came out of nowhere. It's hard to explain, but it was awful.

There were many stories going on, but none of them were interesting except for Stick's problem about going off to the Vietnam war. I was actually looking forward to get to know his character, but unfortunately he disappeared off screen for a long time. He'd make an appearance now and again, but I didn't really get to see his character until the very end. The characters didn't seem to have convincing relationships on screen either. I wasn't convinced any of them were "best friends forever". The chemistry between them all sucked.

Aside from the characters, the narration in this movie drove me INSANE. I absolutely HATE narration of any kind in a movie. I mean sometimes if the narration is good, I can deal with it, but if it's bad, I lose my mind. The narration in this movie is bad. The narrator is one of the girl characters, I can't remember her name. She gave little background information on the other characters, and pretty much just described to me what was happening in the movie....Like I'm blind and can't see for myself what is going on. Any time she came on I was like SHUT THE HELL UP! It's like an obnoxious mother sitting in a theater explaining to her 4 year old child what's happening in the movie. I'm not 4 years old, and I don't need anyone to explain to me what the movie is about. I have two eyes and ears and can understand what the deal is, thanks.

The two shirtless guys on this movie's poster is pretty much what talked me into watching this film. I was disappointed though because this movie is not as attractive as it seems. Skip it for sure. The boys aren't even as cute as they look on the poster. I was fooled into thinking they were somewhat attractive. :( Oh well.
½ October 16, 2010
Solid if unexceptional drama of a group of teens on the cusp of adulthood during the turbulent mid 60's.
February 5, 2010
greatest movie ever my opion of course lol damn i wish i could of been there
July 23, 2009
A ridiculously bad "American Graffiti" ripoff.

There Goes My Baby (1994) - 2.2/10
Director - Floyd Matrux
Starring - Rick Schroder, Dermot Mulroney, Kelli Williams, Noah Wyle, Lucy Deakins, Seymour Cassel, Paul Gleason.

It's 1965 and the Vietnam war is escalating, the Watts riots are happening and a bunch of High School seniors contemplate their future in an ever-changing war. It's poorly written and poorly executed. An obvious attempt to emulate "American Graffiti" that was set in 1962.
June 29, 2009
an easy-to-swallow depiction of the final days of highschool for a bunch of LA kids in the late 60's as they grapple with the pressures of adulthood and the Vietnam War. Nicely handled with varying degrees of acting talent, but overall a satisfying realisation of life at the time.
August 20, 2008
I enjoyed this movie. It's takes place in the summer of 1965. It's a heartwarming story; about how things change, making difficult choices, growing into your own, and the importance of true friends.
This movie has a great soundtrack. It includes all the favorites from the early 60s and of course, There Goes My Baby, by the Drifters. I have always loved that song.
June 11, 2008
a lot deeper than i thought it was gonna be
April 13, 2008
You ever seen a bunch of high school kids put on a play? I'm not talking like Grease, but something like Hair or Godspell, something time specific. They try to understand the material but it's clearly over their heads, they have no understanding of it at all. It's like this movie- tries hard to replicate an era and a time but fails miserably because everyone is acting like it's 1965. Great soundtrack though, and Kenny Ransom acts his ass off here. Must avoid at all costs.
February 19, 2008
Seriously ladies...this little known indie is the one of my all time favorites. You'll fall in love with the story and the era.
½ September 27, 2007
I saw this movie once when I was really young and I enjoyed it a lot. It took me about 4 or 5 years to remember what it is called (that's not an exaggeration. I spent 4 years trying to remember what this movie is called). Anyways, I finally figured it out. It's about a couple of surfers who get caught up in all the turmoil of Vietnam and the draft and the civil rights movement in California. It sort of reminds me of "Stand By Me" (but with older characters).
½ September 10, 2007
Un film qui gagne a être vu. Une de mes plus belles découvertes cinématographiques.
½ September 6, 2007
Sexy, free,edgy, rocking sixtes:we are a boring,wrapped bunch!love this movie:honest and in good taste: where did that fire in the belly go?
½ August 26, 2007
güzel bir gençlik filmi
½ August 25, 2007
brought back feelings of nostalgia