There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane Reviews

½ June 1, 2016
Another stellar HBO documentary that leaves answers to all the questions that were raised, but it walks a perfect angel/devil line that it should. Investigative, well done, but monumentally devastating.
February 25, 2016
I have watched this a few times now as I'm very interested in finding out what happened. The one thing that annyos me is that Daniel and Jay seem so hell bent on clearing Diane's name but he offers no sympathy to the Bastardi family or the fact that his 3 nieces were killed. At the end of the day both toxicology results came up the same.
February 10, 2016
MAYBE see this. on 'super sad' list
January 17, 2016
A little long, but an interesting look at a few people who refuse to accept reality.
January 16, 2016
The documentary details a horrible tragedy but does nothing to advance the story or provide insight.
July 31, 2015
A great documentary!!!! Love how all the facts were displayed in the acutal story!!!!
May 3, 2015
This documentary could have been an hour long show on TV for dateline or something. The story is told in a way that all of the information is given at a time to make the story compelling and the mystery unraveled, but there could have been easily 30 minutes cut out.
½ October 14, 2014
It was a good documentary, pretty sad to watch, covered the case very well, and worth watching.
½ June 25, 2014
There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane es un documental que investiga los hechos que rodean el trágico caso de la coalición en la autopista de Taconic State. Diane Schuler era una madre cariñosa y responsable, según testimonios de su familia, pero por una mala jugada del destino, chocó la van donde iba con sus dos hijos y 3 sobrinos. Iba a una gran velocidad en sentido contrario en la autopista, y el saldo de víctimas fue de 8 personas. El único sobreviviente de la coalición fue su hijo Bryan. El reporte de toxicología señaló que en el momento del accidente, Diane tenía un nivel de .19% de alcohol en su sistema -más del doble permitido- y restos de THC, que es uno de los ingredientes de la marihuana.

Su esposo y cuñada tratan de limpiar su nombre, porque son incapaces de creer que Diane hubiera puesto en peligro la vida de todos esos niños. Este documental levanta varias hipótesis de que pasó ese día, y si realmente Diane era tan perfecta como todos dicen o si estaba escondiendo un secreto. Es un caso fascinante sobretodo porque no pareciera tener una explicación razonable. Hay varias teorías acerca de este caso, pero a la final deja decidir al espectador que fue lo que le pasó a Diane.
June 1, 2014
You probably know the outline of the story from the news in 2009. This doc gets into the details of what happened in the driver's childhood up until the morning of the accident to try to make sense of what happened. It's upsetting but very needed.
½ May 17, 2014
Terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE film making. Terrible!
January 8, 2014
Just tragic. This is why I beg people not to drink and drive.
November 29, 2013
The most amazing part of this documentary is that a case as open and closed as this could hold so many questions. In the end though it's all an exploration of the depths of human denial.
November 18, 2013
This documentary may actually raise more questions than it answers. When I first heard about the incident, I thought for sure the driver was drunk and/or drugged.

After watching the documentary with an open mind, it appears family and friends that knew "Aunt Diane" were very sincere. Although an autopsy and two independent lab findings clearly show Aunt Diane testing positive for THC and having a very high alcohol content, is there any chance the tests could be "false positives" and something else triggered them positive?

We may never know the science involved here, but it is a tragic story for everyone affected by such a horrific accident.
June 30, 2013
Liz Garbus' latest documentary THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH AUNT DIANE is a truly sad and devastating depiction of loss and denial. The tragic deaths of 8 people, caused when Diane Schuler drove the wrong way on the Taconic Parkway, is always within grasp but mostly this film focuses on the inability to fully know "the truth" and her husband and sister-in-law's total inability to accept that they really didn't know Diane very well. She was drunk and stoned when the accident happened but her closet relatives simply will not believe addiction was the issue. How could it be when they "knew" her so well and "knew" she did not have a problem? The film will leaving wondering and pondering an eternal question, "how well can you really know another person." A truly perceptive and disturbing documentary.
June 2, 2013
This is a very frustrating documentary because in the end there is no answer to any of the questions...just so much sadness...Danny Shumwr and his sitter in law Jay are so so pathetic with the way they try to use ANYTHING to somehow explain all the alcohol and marijuana found in her system....the more I read about this horrible devastating incident..the more I feel that Diane's husband knew she was a secret drinker..but just can't allow that to be her " legacy"... The denial and grasping at anything to explain this is just so ridiculous..yet I understand their need to at least try to find some other reason..however after all of these years ..and having just seen this film again....it remains still a sad horrible story ....there are many many secret women drinkers ...Diane had to be "Mrs. Perfect" .....I am strangely fascinated by this awful story ..I think because of the continued denial of the Shumer family...
½ May 26, 2013
A spellbinding yet devastating portrait of a desperate family looking for answers. Revolving around a horrific traffic accident back in 2009, the documentary sets out to find out why Diane Schuler drove into oncoming traffic with a carload of kids, killing 8 people in the process. There's an overload of emotionally-leading music, but beneath it is a fascinating look at a family so caught up in the search for the truth that they're unable to recognize what's right in front of them. The struggle to reconcile a gut feeling (and feeling like the world's against you) with hard facts is something we all face in tragedy. Part mystery, part psychological exploration, 'There's Something Wrong...' is a riveting account of heartache and letting go.
April 16, 2013
I didn't learn anything....it was a waste of time. But it was so depressing/sad/creepy
June 2, 2012
Absolutely horrifying.
April 4, 2012
Even though it ends where it begins, it shows how grey something can be in circumstances that seem so absolute on the news. It always nice to have another side to a story.