Therese - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Therese Reviews

February 28, 2012
This is the 1986 version, not the 2003.
March 6, 2011
Mar 2011 - I suspected my interest in this catholic portrayal of St Therese may have declined after nearly 20 years but it is as fresh as ever. The images are as powerful as the magnificent silence. And so much for Mouchet's face and her amazing portrayal of Therese. The movie concentrates completely on the human relations and emotions and avoids any divine intervention or presence and this makes it more a humanistic drama than it is a religious one.
½ February 17, 2010
While I liked the fact that the entire film took place in front of a gray backdrop, I really felt like there just wasn't much to "Therese." The removal of context placed a lot of responsibility on the characters themselves, and they just couldn't bear it. The film also failed to be as engaging as it should have been. This was supposed to be based on the life of a woman who was canonized. Show us why, please.
January 23, 2009
I cannot believe I have not seen this yet! Well...there are so many great films out there and o so little time to watch them all!
May 29, 2008
One of my alltime favorite movies--not to everyone's taste but I found it engaging. The directort was a photogrpaher and the backdrops in some scenes give the film a sense of heightened realism and frame the action like a series of paintings...
March 29, 2008
pretty good, if you like movies about nuns. Still, not as good as Yo, La Peor de Todas. Also, a bit too Derek Jarman for my taste. But all in all, yes, worth seeing.
March 24, 2008
I want to watch this because I'm named after her.
March 14, 2008
Other one is much, much better, but since I don't know French it wasn't very enjoyable.
March 1, 2008
If one knows French, it would be a better film, but otherwise one hast to read the whole movie by subtitles. And it wasn't really what I had hoped for after reading a book about the little flower's life.
January 31, 2008
The leading actres of this movies doesn't act well. But I still like this movie because it bring me something new and unepxected. I never know that there is such a family: nine children were born, only 5 survived until adulthood. and more strkingly, all five daughters become nun. Four of them are in the same semitary. Oh, My God! Another one died at 24 years of age. Lord, if you don't give enough food and health to survive, please don't create them. Do you givem them life only to make them suffer?
December 23, 2007
Very nice, but there should have been more Latin in it
November 5, 2007
Understated, haunting and mystical...
September 19, 2007
Sin lugar a dudas, Alan Cavalier es una lección de vida. Su forma de ver el cine sin pretenciones económicas y su inigualable exaltacion al rostro como la maxima expresión del mismo, nos muestran la convicción de un cineasta que hasta su quinto largometraje filmo su primer rostro sin importar lo comercial que fueran en el cine de su epoca. Transgredir, es su palabra favorita y en esta pelicula no solo transgrede al espectador con la historia, si no al cine con la ruptura de las normas fotograficas, artisticas y sonoras para obtener el resultado que desde pequeño literalmente ha soñado. Antesesor directo de Dogville... creo yo !
½ September 12, 2007
In a way, THERESE is the story of a girl who dies on her honeymoon.

We would not be happy living her life. But then we are not saints.
September 4, 2007
It's hard to get sanctity right on film. As St Therese of Lisieux, Catherine Mouchet nails it. She is at times so simply luminous, it's hard to look at her.
August 3, 2007
Very compelling, not your average movie.
=]
July 17, 2007
This is such a beautiful movie. The closeness of family, the strong faith in God, and just what can happen when you put all of your faith in Jesus...well, it is very moving. One of the best movies I've ever seen.
½ June 25, 2007
This was kind of hard to watch in parts, but I loved her heart for God
June 9, 2007
This movie is so beautiful. It is def. one of the best French films I've ever seen. Its beautiful and minimalist (which is perfect for the life of a nun). That is its charm as well as Saint Therese de Liieux, who is played exactly as I imagined her. Def. see this movie. :)
June 4, 2007
This movie was so amazing! I love St. Therese Little Flower! It made me feel all happy inside.