Thérèse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thérèse Reviews

July 8, 2012
Thà (C)rèse is as informative as it is adorable. As an ardent devotee of the Little Flower for many years, I have to say that this film captured everything I've read about her life in the convent as well as growing up with her four beautiful sisters and her wonderful father, Bl. Louis Martin. I love you, Thà (C)rèse!
½ July 7, 2012
The film was a bit too melodramatic but it was still a captivating experience that came with true emotion! The acting in this film was great and the story was beautiful! This film was brilliant! Christians and Non-Christians can enjoy this movie!
May 29, 2012
This is the true story of Saint Therese of Lisieux, an ordinary girl with an extraordinary soul. This movie is so beutiful, so strong and so accurate that it has been endorsed by the Vatican.

Saint Terese's story has already touched so many hearts through her autobiography and now there is an inspirational movie out that will reach to even more. I also have to mention the sets and costumes; the sets were based on photographs taken by terese's sister, Celene, and were exact right down to the cruxifix's and candles. Some of the costumes were actually 100 year old clothes from the period!

"Therese gives us hope. We live in a secular world, trapped by our materialistic frenzied lives; powerless to give up our comfortable homes, our ears or even cigarettes. Therese's message is that God wants to meet us right where we are and that we are not trapped. He is accessable to anyone who seeks Him. Therese exemplifies confidence in the mercy of God, Who loves us so much that He will do all the work, providing strength and perseverence for us to find true happiness."
Saint Therese of Lisieux, pray for us.

(Speaking of praying to saints, it is a common misunderstanding that Catholics worship the saints. Catholics honor saints - we thank God for the gifts He has given them and ask them to prey for us. It is like asking a friend to pray for you when you have a problem. The saints are simply friends in heaven; they are very close to God and know His will. Saint Therese has performed many miraclese from heaven, known because they are accompanied with the scent or gift of roses. She said herself, "I want to spend my heaven doing good on earth."
February 5, 2012
Well acted and beautifully told story about one of the most beloved saints. Definitely worth watching if you are devout.
½ November 4, 2011
ew recollections of the 1986 film by Alain Cavalier, which I saw on VHS as an atheist in my early twenties. I remember finding it absolutely extraordinary, to the point that it made me buy the complete works of "Sainte Therese" and read a couple hundred pages, except I got the wrong Therese and found out a bit later that I was three centuries off, reading St Teresa of Ã?vila.

Two decades later, I converted to traditional Catholicism, and I came into closer contact with the Saint of Lisieux. One thing that struck me was browsing Pierre Descouvemont's Life of St Therese in picture, as it is filled with wonderful colour photographs of statues, pious images and other illustrations that make Cavalier's film look like some austere, black and white, Calvinistic reimagining of the Saint, and a betrayal of the real flavour of her Christianity.

Maybe this is what Leonardo Defilippis was reacting against when he made this film. Maybe he wanted to recontextualise Therese by spending more time describing her family life, and portraying her relationship with her mother, Blessed Marie-Azà (C)lie Martin, whom she lost at an early age, her sisters, and her father, Blessed Louis Martin (played by Defillipis himself.) Maybe he wanted to reinject the Catholic imagery into her life, and return to a more down-to-Earth Little Flower. If so, he succeeded in offering us a corrective to Cavalier's minimalistic, abstract vision.

Unfortunately, the film is rather amateurish. It suffers from the absence of a real cinematographer, from a bland, anecdotal script, from a rather uncharismatic lead (a twenty-year-old Lindsay Younce embarrassingly asked to play Therese in her early teens), from poor acting from a couple of supporting actresses, and from basic editing mistakes. The strong American accents also gave some inauthenticity to the dialogues, especially if you are French like me, and would like your Therese to remain French.

The soundtrack by Sr. Marie Therese Sokol, OCD, however, is very beautiful (the theme "Shower of Roses", uploaded on YouTube, is memorable) and whatever technical or artistic flaws the film may have, I never found it boring and will probably watch it again in the future. It was also nice to see Defillipis tackle a more ambitious subject, with a larger cast, and a bigger budget than the productions I was used to, such as "John of the Cross" and "The Passion According to Luke". I hope he will keep growing in his art, and offering us such inspiring movies.
August 3, 2011
Not Hollywood, but spiritual and fascinating as regards this great saint's struggle to sainthood.
April 6, 2011
Very inspirational and majestic movie. This movie of Saint Therese is the best movie ever filmed about her life.
½ January 8, 2010
very touching and enlightening and spiritual film about the life and spiritual awakening of Saint Therese of Lisieux, France, whome is wonderfully portrayed by Lindsay Younce. One of the most touching films I had watched in this new year.
December 1, 2009
i love this movie.. i love st. therese! to God be the glory!
May 24, 2009
I think I saw this film many years ago
May 2, 2009
I picked this out because I was feeling nostalgic for my grandfather who died last year. The Little Flower was one of his favorite saints. I was expecting icky melodrama and poor production quality and wouldn't you know, that's just what this movie's filled with. I was a wee bit surprised that the production quality, though not good, was not completely horrid. The dresses looked like high school drama department rejects but the DP set up some nice-ish Monet-esque scenes. If the acting were better, Therese wasn't a high fructose corn syrupy heroine, and the death scene hadn't gone on for 3 years while Therese said stuff like, "I love Jesus!" I might have enjoyed this more.
January 28, 2009
A true story based on the actual writings of Saint Therese of Lisieux. This movie will touch those who are deeply spiritual or have deep compassion for the human kind. This story is sometimes sad, but mostly it a feel good movie, it will touch the very depts. of your soul. You will experience tears of joy all the way through the movie, I promise you, that.
August 8, 2008
Wonderfulk so deep, it made me cry
July 21, 2008
A beautiful, and true story of an incredible and pious saint. Her simple and little path was her path to Heaven. She suffered greatly from her illness, but in the end she met peace. And that is the path everybody should try to find.
July 20, 2008
A beautiful and inspiring story of an ordinary girl who became a saint. Her little way, making small sacrifices should be an example to all.
July 9, 2008
I absolutely fell head over heels in love with this movie that portrays one of my favorite saints. I think they did St. Therese a great service in this movie because I understand her more than ever. At first, though, I hated the sappiness of the movie, but now I don't mind it. A true inspiration for all people, especially Catholics and those discerning a call to the sisterhood, like me.
July 7, 2008
Very moving movie. A brilliant film and a great biography of a saint. This is a great story of St. Therese, she is one of my favorite saints!!!!! VEry good movie!!!
July 6, 2008
This is one of the best Saint films in the whole world!!! I love St. Therese! She is so inspiring! We should all imitate her Little Way of life in order to gain eternal happiness in Heaven. Absolutely a must see for EVERYONE! St. Therese, pray for us!
June 28, 2008
This movie changed my life forever.
½ July 9, 2007
So-so story, a plus is it's simplicity, a minus being that the central characted is hardly enigmatic enough to make a film about. It leans on the sappy side as well. Well meaning.