These Wilder Years Reviews

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Feb 23, 2018

Much as I adore both Barbara Stanwyck and James Cagney, this film is a real snooze, and one to miss. Director Roy Rowland drags scenes out interminably, and the overall tone of the film is far too sedate. Stanwyck and Cagney are for the most part pretty wooden, and when they do try to breathe life into their lines, it's with little effect. The film lacks any real emotional punch, with the exception of one scene relatively late, when the young man walks away from Cagney down the street, one of the few I really liked. Otherwise it feels like a bad made for TV movie, cheesy music and all. It's a bit of shame, since this film has the distinction that it was the only time Stanwyck and Cagney appeared together.

• Sep 09, 2017

Cagey and Stanwyck only movie together, late in their careers.

Cagey and Stanwyck only movie together, late in their careers.

• Dec 30, 2012

Cagney makes a rare appearance in a soap opera as a man trying to find his son that he gave up for adoption. It's an intereting enough of story, but it's a bit too slow paced for my liking. Still, Cagney's quest for redemption at the cost of his reputation and Barbara Stanwyck as the orphanage director made it compelling enough to hold my interest, but I think a more interesting of story would have started with Cagney trying to reconnect with the son he'd given up. This film was also the first film appearance of Michael Landon.

• Dec 26, 2012

good combo in this melodrama from MGM stanwyck+ cagney= your moneys worth.

good combo in this melodrama from MGM stanwyck+ cagney= your moneys worth.

• Jun 01, 2010

James Cagney was such a good actor and this film made later on in his career shows just how good he was. A middle-aged man who is successful and prosperous looks back to one bad decision he made as a youth - and goes looking for the son he denied 20 yrs earlier. A very good story with a lot of depth and heart that holds up well today.