They Might Be Giants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

They Might Be Giants Reviews

April 23, 2017
Wonderful little movie. Sweet, whimsical , and unforgettable. Best movie you've never heard of. Will leave you with a smile on your face.
November 4, 2016
Terrific movie when I saw it in 1971 (RT's says it was made in 2006?), they might not just be Giants, they might be time travelers also.
October 31, 2016
Quirky and off-beat in a Harold-and-Maude sort of way although not as winning as that other film (released in the same year). George C. Scott gives it his all as a former judge who now believes he is Sherlock Holmes, having retreated from reality after the death of his wife. Joanne Woodward is similarly zesty and cute as the psychiatrist appointed to treat him, appropriately named Dr. Watson. They fall in love and maybe she (and we) learn something about the outcasts in society, those who have retreated from everyday life. Or maybe we don't because that part of the film isn't really fleshed out. Mr. Holmes' brother wants him committed in order to take control over his fortune and to fend off blackmailers who are armed and in pursuit. But the film neglects this plot strand in favour of silly moments with an array of character actors from the period (Al Lewis, Jack Gilford, Rue McClanahan). New York city looks run-down and grey and the cinematography has got that seventies feel, but everyone seems to be willing the movie to be a success even as the script lets them down. The title comes from Don Quixote (apparently) and, yes, that band took their name from this film.
April 9, 2016
The chances of being eaten alive by a tiger on Main St. are a million to one, but once is enough. Love can conquer alot, if not all. If he isn't Holmes, he will do until the real one comes along. Join in the crusade against all the evil in the world, even the small evil. I wish this movie was more widely , easily available. The long version, WITH the grocery store fracas. It is worth the search, if not the price of the good version.
½ December 31, 2014
Everything is way too Americanised to be a comfortable reimagining of Conan-Doyle's most famous creation.
October 24, 2014
This is the most horrible movie I have seen in a while... I cannot imagine that the 78% listed as liking it is accurate... yes, it has cute moments, and the premise is engaging, but the ending is so completely weak that one feels like hunting down the scriptwriter and demanding one's lost time back. This does not even deserve one star; the ending alone earns it several thousand negative stars. This stellar cast deserved better than this feeble script and disappointing outcome.
½ July 18, 2014
A sympathetic, but melancholy, tale about the need to believe in an embodiment of good and evil. It left me wanting more.
½ March 12, 2014
(42%)
A really quite unique comedy drama that sadly once it has got itself up and running has no real idea where to go with anything, as the second half of the movie is too much like following around a rambling fruit cake. The main cast members are very good, and the basic premise is at least half decent, but the plot/script is too broken and aimless to be worthy of a look, which is a bit of a shame.
½ January 1, 2014
A pair finding love as they join in madness,,,,,the fringes never looked better.
December 2, 2013
Zany but fun and enjoyable
September 5, 2013
The cast is great, the movie itself is a bit sloppy. But it's still fun to watch. I bet the play is a bit better. Still, it's worth seeing for George C. Scott's performance. CHECK IT OUT.
July 25, 2013
Different. Weird. Delightful. And more profound than most people probably realize.
March 19, 2013
George C. Scott in a humorous role. Cute!
October 8, 2012
Scott and Woodward are a charmingly eccentric pair in this film packed with familiar names. There are deeper films, but this doesn't need to be; it's subtle enough to stir the imagination without being preachy or trite. A truly overlooked gem in Scott's career.
½ September 14, 2012
Its humor and emotions are subtle, and the exterior of the film is a quite bizarre mix of sometimes disparate elements, but for dark-edges whimsy and charm,few films are its equal.
May 17, 2012
Pretty funny and very odd.
½ March 16, 2012
George C Scott gives it his best, and the general premise is quite an amusing original one, but everything else about this film is quite irritating. After a few gentle smirks near the beginning, the fun soon fizzled out. Dr Watson is extremely annoying and the whole thing felt like a stage play. It took all my stamina to tough out the first hour, but I couldn't soldier on any further. 5/10.
½ January 21, 2012
It would take Sherlock Holmes to discover why this film is virtually unknown and incredibly hard to get. A pretty wonderful film all round.
½ October 29, 2011
This is a nice simple little film about a man who has lost his marbles a bit, and begins to think himself to be Sherlock Holmes. The movie is quirky and nice movie with a good cast and a funny little mystery adventure. It also was the reason for the naming of a fantastic band. I really liked this film, I think its oddly uplifting.