They Nest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

They Nest Reviews

January 25, 2017
I guess it shouldn't have surprised me to find out that this was a TV movie. I don't mean to say I'm actually surprised, but I was gonna start off with that, before I did some research and found out that, in fact, this was a made-for-TV movie. And I guess that should have been obvious when the main character, who pricks his finger or something, says 'gosh dang it' and 'spit' instead of goddamnit and shit. I don't know why I bothered watching this. I legitimately mean that, I'm not saying that to be insulting towards this film because of its quality, though if I'm honest it's not like I could say this was a good movie. What I mean by that is that the reason I watched this movie was 'just because'. The closest I can come to a reason is the fact that I just wanted to see something goofy and stupid. And a movie about cockroaches using the insides of human corpses as breeding grounds was stupid enough for me. Realistically speaking, the movie does recognize its own absurdity and it doesn't pretend to be anything more than just a B-movie. I have to appreciate that lack of pretension. I'm not saying that they didn't try to make a good movie here, given the parameters (even though they failed), but they didn't go out of their way to do something great. And, since this was a TV movie, I can't say I blame them. TV movies have short lifespans as it is anyway, you're only as relevant as the network you're on. And this being something of a fringe movie, for like Sci-Fi Channel (as it was in in 2000 at the time of this film's airing), then I'm gonna assume that it was a movie that just came and went and people barely remembered it. It has that feeling, like as much as I got into some of the sillier aspects of the film, there's nothing about this movie that I will remember come this time next year. If we're all still alive by this time next year that is. I'll probably remember it as 'that cockroach movie' without actually recalling any of the details within it. Then again, with my memory being the way it is, I don't really recall many movies I see, with the exception of the really great ones or the really shit ones. This isn't either of those, it falls somewhere in between. If I'm being honest, I'd say that this was, at best, a below average-to-average movie. There's nothing truly inherently wrong with it. And by that I mean from a scripting level. Yes, the dialogue is nothing to write home about, but the story is fairly basic and it doesn't really do much in the way to piss you off with nonsensical scenes that don't fit within the context of the film. The acting is so-so, with Dean Stockwell being the best of the bunch. The special effects are ok at best. There's nothing that this movie excels at, as if it wasn't obvious already, but there's nothing wrong with that, at least in this case. You could make the argument that they could have put in more of an effort. But, be real here, if you knew that your movie was mostly gonna be watched as background noise because somebody who's on their laptop/phone can't stand the quiet, then how much of an effort would you make? That's a shitty excuse, yes, but there's only so much effort you're gonna make for something that only a very small percentage of people will ever see. You could say that for every movie ever made, yes, but this is the type of movie that falls into obscurity very quickly. Regardless of the fact if it ended up being good or not. The fact of the matter is that this was produced to give the channel it aired on some additional content for a year or so. Hate to sound so cynical, but that's what it was. With all of that said, for about 84 minutes or so, I didn't mind watching this. It doesn't take itself too seriously, so that makes it an infinitely easier watch. This is ok at best. There's no real reason to watch this, but you could have worse experiences watching a movie.
½ April 28, 2016
Don't watch this if you are afraid of cockroaches!

They Nest is the story of a small island infested with killer insects that swarm and threaten the lives of all its citizens.

The acting is really good, and the characters are quite interesting, and likeable. The tension between Jack and John was really good, and despite the fact they were acting like idiots, made them more compelling characters.

Lots of fun!
February 19, 2013
While the film never gets as insultingly stupid as many others of recent vintage, it does become increasingly ludicrous as things progress.
December 3, 2010
1 of The 10 worst films I've ever suffered
June 27, 2010
A boring story but with good scenes for people, who like to be scared by insects esp. cockroaches. While watching I fast forwarded some scenes but I didn't get bored this way and earned some goosebumps!!
½ June 18, 2010
Mildy entertaining killer bug flick. Does beg the question whatever happened to Thomas Calabro (who was of course the ultimate scumbag Michael in Melrose Place), or indeed the gorgeous Kirsten Dalton.
June 25, 2009
Classical Crap of human eating bugs.
February 15, 2009
They Nest has enough creepy crawlies to qualify as cult classic - thanks to those CGI cockroaches! And Thomas Calabro of ER fame did well on his acting.
½ January 21, 2009
well not that good, but still watchable
January 11, 2009
Oue, bof, avant son sympathique Arac Attack, Ellory Elkayem nous proposait deja un film de bestioles rampantes affamees (des gros cafards degueux).
Le film n'est pas mauvais en soit, les sfx sont reussis, mais ce qui peche, c'est le scenario, franchement pas tres inventif, et, surtout, le gros boulet qui sert de personnage principal... Les situations dans lesquels il se met et certaines de ses reactions sont justes ultimes, et en plus sa coupe ressemble a celle de Jim Carey dans Dumb & Dumber :D.

Bof
September 29, 2008
Quality daft horror. Killer cockroaches - what more do you need?!!
August 12, 2008
not recommended, sorry...
½ May 2, 2008
I saw this film about six years ago and I've no interest in ever seeing it again. This is one of the most creepiest films I have ever seen. The idea of carnivorous cockroaches that can evolve super quickly is just....*brrh*