They Came from Beyond Space Reviews

• Nov 18, 2018

What could have been a decent Quatermass or Doctor Who adventure lapses too much into silly ideas and not properly executed scenes. Aspects of interest but overall weak.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    May 14, 2018

With an ahead-of-its-time idea (the ominous aliens arrive but have no bodies and therefore have to occupy ours) this Brit production is not bad at all, following one scientist's efforts to stop the invaders who seem unstoppable. Yeah, its cheesy, but not as throwaway as some have suggested. I rate it a 65.

• Jan 08, 2017

Decent movie. We enjoyed it, but we like these kind of movies

Decent movie. We enjoyed it, but we like these kind of movies

• Oct 17, 2015

I've really enjoyed director Freddie Francis' work with Hammer Films over the years, and it was intriguing to see him attached to a lower-budget project and see how he'd do, with lesser-quality actors and production values. It's not bad, just lagging in places, and seems a tad too close to Stephen King's 'The Tommyknockers' later on, for comfort (though that could be due to the novel it's from 'The Gods Hate Kansas' rather than the film). The apparently high degree of sexual attraction the two hot ladies in the film have for the protagonist, Dr. Curtis Temple, is hard to believe--unless they simply went for his bankroll or had 'daddy' issues. Although Robert Hutton, who plays him, was only 47 at the time of filming, and the actresses who portrayed his assistant Lee Mason and the girl attendant at the gas station were 36 and of unknown age respectively, he looks at least 55 and that he could be the Mason's father and perhaps the attendant's grandfather. Bad casting in that regard, although they're more than capable for the modest complexity of their parts. I liked the fact that unlike most other science fiction films, the potential of working together with the invasion force as a possible alternative to the tired, seemingly inevitable probability of war with the invading force was explored. Science fiction and horror are extremely popular filmmaking genres that have stood the test of time because they offer us clever avenues as metaphors for examining closely issues that affect society today. The time has certainly come in which people have to stop and intelligently discuss topics that concern us, rather than cling doggedly to our dogma, and to Hell with anyone that dares think any differently than we do. Frankly I feel that it's the only hope that we as a civilization have.

• Aug 10, 2015

Don't try to interfere with us again or you'll be destroyed. Initially it appears falling rocks from space are plaguing the planet until it become apparent they are being guided by intelligent life beings. A group of scientists build a rocket and form a crew to figure out how to stop the meteors. They are captured and initially think they're part of an experiment...they would be so lucky... "They may have been guided here by creatures. Intelligent creatures." Freddie Francis, director of Dark Tower, The Doctor and the Devils, The Ghoul, Legend of the Werewolf, Son of Dracula, Tales from the Crypt (1972), and Nightmare, delivers They Came from Beyond Space. The storyline for this picture is very average and fairly cliché for the science fiction genre. The acting and special effects were also just okay. "Don't try to interfere with us or you'll be destroyed." I grabbed this off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) since I adore the old school classic science fiction movies. This has a campy, average feel to it with some cool "on the moon" scenes that are entertaining. Overall, this is worth watching only if you're a fan of the genre. "Slaves do not speak without permission in front of the master of the moon." Grade: C

• Jul 23, 2015

Poorly made Amicus Productions directed by the usually reliable Freddie Francis (who was also an ace cinematographer on films such as "Glory" and "Blue Velvet"). According to IMDB, Francis said that Amicus spent all their budget on another film, leaving virtually nothing for this film and forced them to reuse props and sets from other films. However, that's only part of the problem, the main problems being a boring script about British scientists investigating a meteor in the English countryside. It's really aliens who use their powers to control people's minds, but one scientist has a metal plate in his head which prevents them from controlling him. I suppose that story ins't too awful, but it's just boring and overly talky. Take a pas on this one. However, the best IMDB factoid for this film is that it was allegedly this was Anwar Sadat's favorite film.

• Jul 10, 2015

Wacky plot with plenty of cheese: aliens need spaceship repairs from humans.

Wacky plot with plenty of cheese: aliens need spaceship repairs from humans.

• Dec 14, 2012

It's premise isn't bad, but the film just wasn't done well. The plot is decent but a bit scrambled. The acting isn't too good, and the film drags on a bit. It has its high points, but still it wasn't as good as it could of been.

• Francisco G Super Reviewer
    Jul 10, 2012

An entertaining but ultimately very poorly executed drama sci-fi click, drawing obvious influences from the 50s classics. Worth a shot for it's cheesiness, horrid acting, huge plot holes and entertainment value.

• Apr 29, 2012

Hillarious! I can't believe this even passed as a horror film way back when! That lady's hair in the movie covered her entire forehead! Poorly made, but very fun to watch. Oh, and of course, the aliens just happen to know English....