They Died With Their Boots On Reviews

• May 10, 2019

They Died With Their Boots On is a decent film. It is a fictionalized account of the life of George Armstrong Custer. Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Raoul Walsh did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.

• Oct 21, 2017

Inconsistent and historically inaccurate, "They Died with Their Boots On" is quite a lightweight war movie. The comedy falls flat almost without fail and the action is meagre, the battle scenes being few and not too interesting. Despite being 140 minutes long though, it wasn't too much of a drag because the plot was clear-cut. It's a little too old-fashioned for my taste, and that includes a few cases of racial profiling, but is decent overall.

• Oct 19, 2017

Errol Flynn stars as George Armstrong Custer. The film depicts a highly fictionalised version of his life from his first days as a cadet at West Point, through his Civil War heroics (on the Union side), to his time at Fort Lincoln in the Dakota Country, and finally his death at the Battle of Little Big Horn. Raoul Walsh directs the action sequences with a certain amount of panache (lots of extras on horseback) but the film feels overlong and Olivia De Havilland has little to do as Custer's wife (this was her 8th and last pairing with Flynn). As you might expect for this era (1940s), the film has a definite racist streak, particularly when it comes to portraying Native Americans; Anthony Quinn plays Crazy Horse but there are some actual Sioux men who were brought out to Hollywood to serve as extras. Hattie McDaniel also plays a maid who is superstitious in a few scenes to offer some "comic relief". Interestingly, Flynn portrays Custer as a bit of a delinquent who nonetheless is able to lead men in battle; his casting doesn't quite seem right (he belongs in less weighty swashbucklers). Speaking of unusual casting, Sydney Greenstreet appears as a Union General, with only his mutton chops and uniform differentiating this performance from The Maltese Falcon or Casablanca. Jarring. Arthur Kennedy is solid as the main villain. However, you really should look elsewhere if you want to see Flynn at his best (e.g., The Adventures of Robin Hood, 1938).

• Nov 08, 2016

I thought it was an amazing film. With great leadership ! loved every it of the movie

• Jul 27, 2016

They Died with their Boots on 1941 An Errol Flynn film. A movie about Custer The 7th Calvary. Errol Flynn plays the character with nobility, honor, and loyalty towards the military. The only problem is I think that the real Custer was not a good as portrayed in the film. It has Gene Lockhart. Conspiracy to get Custer out of the picture by saying that there is gold in the part of the West where none existed in order to brake treaties with Native Americans to gain land. I liked the military music and the action. It was a very entertaining story.

• Nov 21, 2015

A wonderful movie, sure not total factual, but very enjoyable, and Flynn at his best.

• Apr 14, 2015

Interesante de ver y bien hecha, pero no apruebo la distorsión de hechos históricos en el cine, y menos en esta época donde la falta de información para contrastar cimenta opiniones erróneas en la gente que se perpetúa con el paso generacional.

• Apr 06, 2015

Starring Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. This film purports to be a biopic of the enigmatic General George Armstrong Custer. It often distorts the facts beyond recognition and is about twenty minutes too long. But it remains top notch entertainment most of the way. The knowledge that this was Flynn and de Havilland's last film together adds greater poignancy to their farewell scene. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

• Mar 28, 2015

Very dated and very fictionalized story of General George A. Custer, who with his army was killed at the Battle of Little Bighorn by the Lakota. I doubt if there is an iota of truth in this preposterous white supremacist wet-dream, except for his name.

• Mar 02, 2015

150501: When this movie first started I thought it was going to be pure stupidity. Custer is portrayed as an idiot at the beginning but, as we see his luck and tactics for climbing the ranks, the story blossoms to become a classic. Without considering the historical accuracy of this film, I can say it's pure entertainment. Some great acting here from Flynn. Loved the relationship between Custer and Libby. Desperately want to look up details on the life of Lt. Butler. And, there is at least one really cool horse stunt. The only area lacking in my opinion was development of the First Nations characters. Would've been nice to get to know Crazy Horse a bit more. Good film. Well worth a western fan's time.