They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Reviews

• Jul 17, 2020

With these many great performances I would think the plot would be better.

With these many great performances I would think the plot would be better.

• Jul 14, 2020

Another one of those cases of me having a dissenting opinion on a movie in the name of personal preference, for "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" isn't necessarily a poorly executed film in any sort of regard. The performances are commendable, the subject matter is effectively presented and even the thematics are resonant (try thinking about this movie as an allegory for reality television. . .yeeeeeesh). My problems with the movie lie within the more utilitarian elements. This is a supremely grimy, gross and upsetting portrait of a desperate era in American history, filled with unfortunate characters, traumatic events and all sorts of delusions surrounding the American Dream. It's not my cup of tea, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't accomplish what it set out to do.

• Dec 23, 2019

Perhaps just a little dated in slight ways, it nonetheless stands the test of time as a great film! In any case, its underlying themes maintain their relevancy even today, perhaps even more so.

• Oct 29, 2019

a film you wont forget watching, its just as relevant today as it was in the 1930s and the 1970s

• Jan 18, 2019

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is technically strong with a particularly good soundtrack and excellent performances across the board with Jane Fonda being the most memorable member of the cast. But the movie is otherwise very weak on all fronts with the melodramatic elements being forced, overdone and depressing, the metaphor being pretentious and the film plays like that dance marathon in it - it becomes pointless and exhausting way too quickly.

• Oct 18, 2017

One word review: extraordinary! (is that 4 words?)

One word review: extraordinary! (is that 4 words?)

• Apr 22, 2017

They Shoot Horses Don't They? is a harsh portrayal of the ruthless consequences of the Great Depression over common people's spirits.

• Aug 20, 2016

I read a review of "They Shoot Horses..." in "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" which sounded intriguing, and we like Jane Fonda, so we watched this. Rotten Tomatoes was pretty high on it as well. It's not exactly cheerful, but it said a lot about the Great Depression and our culture then and now. Being relevant today is, for me, a sure sign of great work of art. The actor who impressed and surprised me the most was Gig Young. He's usually a character actor who you can take or leave but he was riveting in this performance. 4 stars.

• Aug 10, 2016

Drama about a dance competition during the Great Depression. Excellent performances bogged down by a mediocre script.

• Aug 18, 2015

Sydney Pollack's pungent film adaptation of Horace McCoy's 1935 novel about a dance marathon contest during the Depression-era - the ultimate test of energy and endurance, which blurs the line between competition and reality show. The various contestants spurred by the 1500$ reward, push their strength and fortitude to the limits, little they know, they are merely dispensable pawns to attract audience, since the mass needs something they can believe in in that particular era, and clearly, watching other people in suffering and bad shapes is a massively effective way to achieve that, what a sadistic revelation! Also the film has an unflinchingly bleak ending can give a gut punch to first-time viewers who are unfamiliar with the source novel. keep reading my review on my blog: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1Zy