They Wait - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

They Wait Reviews

½ November 16, 2014
A film of diminishing returns. It starts brightly and with some good scares but all becomes a little predictable towards the end.
September 18, 2012
Decent little chiller with some great scares and intriguing premise. I did enjoy hearing about the different foreign customs. Makes for an eerie watch.
August 19, 2012
not anywhere as bad as i imagined
June 16, 2012
The waiting is worth watching...
April 25, 2012
Too slow and generic to excite or retain interest in while waiting for the story to move up a gear into slow.
February 10, 2012
the real ugly ghost was shown only twice in the movie, otherwise there was nothing horrifying. The first killing scene in the jungle and shopkeeper turning into ghost were good. Nevertheless, a horror film with a moral.
September 24, 2011
This movie seemed to be able to communicate the same concepts that make Asian ghost stories so intriguing without resorting to all the same clichés. This movie has a simple story that has been told over and over, but this adds an Asian twist with concepts such as Hungry Ghost Month and Spirit Money without alienating a western audience.

Overall the story is pretty predictable and that is the only downside to this movie. Once you figure out what is going on, it's pretty much a "which road will they take to the end" as opposed to a surprise around each corner. The acting is pretty decent for this type of flick.

I would recommend this if you want to introduce some of the elements of a good Asian horror story without all the oddness that is directly copied in some of the other remakes.
½ August 9, 2011
Okay attempt with a story that is very routine. Average acting and direction. Good to see Pei-Pei Cheng though.
½ June 9, 2011
Sarah (Jaime King, My Bloody Valentine), her husband, Jason, and their six year old son, Sammy, go to Vancouver for Jason's Uncle Raymond's funeral. During their stay at Aunt Mei's house, Sammy starts seeing ghosts. He ends up in a coma at the hospital after nosing around the basement of Uncle Raymond's warehouse. Soon, Sarah sees them, too.

Desperate for answers, she visits a local pharmacist who shows her a sketch of the spirit with Sammy - her skeletal hand reaching for his exposed heart - that he drew a year ago. He tells her the spirit has imprisoned her son's soul and Sarah has until dawn on the last day of Ghost Month to find out what the spirit's motives are or Sammy will be lost forever.

The R rating has me baffled. There are some disturbing images but not near as gory as The Grudge and that's rated PG-13. There is no sex or nudity, not even a side boob. I don't even recall a single swear word. This is more mystery & suspense than it is horror, in my opinion. The scares are good but the acting is terrible. Pei-pei Cheng as Aunt Mei and the adorable Henry O as Sammy are very believable but King is a whiny mess and Chen doesn't understand the use of facial expressions.

If mine is the first review you've read of They Wait, then let me advise you not to watch the trailer if you want an awesome scare in the beginning of the film!
March 22, 2011
Not bad. If you like 'The ring' and 'the grudge', you'll like this for sure. Creeped me out.
½ January 10, 2011
Forgot immediately what it was about.
October 18, 2010
Expecting your usual crappy sci fi horror movie but it is actually not half bad...pretty interesting story
CrankyBeast
September 16, 2010
Quite good and interesting.
September 8, 2010
I like Terry Chen, but this was really bad. Although it did have two decent scares in there. And skeleton bones grabbing and dragging someone away...Sam Raimi directed this?! No? Oh...but Uwe Boll produced it!! Aaaaah...
½ September 6, 2010
they need to yourhelp
½ August 11, 2010
ok ghost movie. nothing special.
June 14, 2010
Average. Didnt like the animal parts in the movie.. its just cruel.