They Went That-a-Way & That-a-Way Reviews

• Jul 26, 2015

Some funny slapstick here and there, but overall this one falls a little short even after considering it's age (1978). Funny cop car scene in the beginning. Conway's 1985 film "The Longshot" is much better, and since both films come together on the same DVD, at least you will have one winner.

• Nov 15, 2012

It had some funny moments, at times it was a little too much slapstick comedy. The ending could of been better too.

• Apr 01, 2004

[center][img]http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images/directors/03/24/soldat02.jpg[/img][/center] [color=yellow]Le Petit Soldat (1960, Jean-Luc Godard) *[/color] [color=white]I suppose Godard's cinema verite seemed experimental at the time, but today it is a hopelessly outdated political diatribe. There is a long scene where the actor is spewing this nonsense straight into the camera. I could not wait for this film to end. Rating star solely for the presence of Anna Karina. [/color] [center][img]http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images/directors/03/24/vivre01.jpg[/img][/center] [center][color=yellow][/color][/center] [color=yellow]My Life To Live (1962, Jean-Luc Godard) **½[/color] [color=white]The camera seems to be in love with Anna, lingering on her for extended periods of time. Godard's trickery, though, is annoying, and detracts from rather than adds to the enjoyment of the film. For example, the opening scene in the cafe, where we only see the backs of heads. It goes on far too long. The framing is unconventional throughout, off center for no apparent reason in places, more backs of heads, the use of mirrors. The other Godard trademarks are all present...the philosophical asides (the big one between Anna and the old man was just not credible, Nana should not care about linguistic philosophy), shaky hand held cameras, the "poetic" narration, characters smoking constantly, fascination with American cars. To me Godard comes off like a cheap Bergman, full of faux philosophical dialogue. His films are not very cinematic, but exhibit an ugly and gaudy amateurism. [/color]