The Princess and the Cobbler (The Thief and the Cobbler) Reviews

• Aug 16, 2019

This is a sad story considering the history behind the production. Richard Williams spent years working on the project, decades of effort. Yet, the bond company claimed the works and kicked Williams off the project. They kept Vincent Price, but got voice actors for leads that are just too much to take in their monologues. The one star is for the animation, it is so wonderfully done. If I were told to recommend THIS, I wouldn't. I'll just recommend the Recobbled Cut. And for those who claim this, this did not rip off Aladdin, and Aladdin did not rip off this. Not only was this project worked on a few decades before, but Aladdin had a different story and took to inspiration in character design.

• Aug 03, 2019

Well, the animation is kinda Ok, when you look into the history & the recobbled cut, the film had a lot of potential and is a great film.

• Nov 20, 2018

I am only putting four stars because of how gorgious it looks animation-wise. I feel really bad for Richard Williams because this is one of the most beautiful movies of all time for me and he never really got to make the way he wanted properly.

• Feb 09, 2018

A childhood favourite of mine. Although it's a bit strange, it's still a timeless masterpiece.

• Dec 08, 2017

Well the 1995 Version of the film that Miramax did looked like the film belonged to Disney which they should have distributed in the 1990s. well Richard Williams (from Who Framed Roger Rabbit) wanted to make his Great Animated Masterpiece Greater with so much Perfection that he did for nearly 30 Years. Tack, Princess YumYum, ZigZag and the Thief had some great animation within them thanks to Williams, and film became one of the Most Beautiful Animated Films in History, The Thief and the Cobbler was a 1990s Masterpiece too.

• Oct 17, 2017

The recobbled cut version of this movie is by far the best-animated movie I've ever seen. The animation never ceases to amuse me even if large chunks of it were made in 1970. Highly recomend.

• Jun 03, 2017

I picked this up at a Block Buster as a kid and still love it to this day!

I picked this up at a Block Buster as a kid and still love it to this day!

• Aug 28, 2016

Don't believe everything you hear about this movie. Richard Williams' original Magnum Opus was a great triumph of writing and animation; it was how the studios handled it after they took it from his hands that ruined it. I urge you all to watch The Recobbled Cut, Gilbert Gilchrist's pain-stakingly reconstructed restoration of Williams' original masterpiece, for that is true cinematic gold.

• May 07, 2016

The Thief and the Cobbler is such a problematic movie. Because the entire production lasted for an epic amount of years, the end product is as troubled as it can be. The animation is its strongest point as it is pretty good and at times even quite inspired. But everything else here is quite forgettable and bland with so-so storytelling and very dull characters. Vincent Price did a great job in his role as usual and his character is the only memorable one here, but all of the others are poor and the film was just never involving to me. In the end, even though it clearly has its strengths, this movie is mostly as flawed as you would expect given its infamous history.

• Feb 21, 2016

This version is crap and offensive to Richard Williams' original dream. Watch the Recobbled version (which my rating is for). It was simple but interesting and funny and brilliantly animated with great music and little dialogue and fantastic visuals. It was the original Aladdin! That's right, Aladdin was a rip off.