The Thin Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thin Man Reviews

December 9, 2017
One of the best comedy/mysteries I've ever seen. It's witty, intelligent and hilarious. Powell and Loy play so naturally as husband and wife that I thought they were married in real life. Authors of the film achieved the seemingly impossible task: to balance a fascinating story with comic relationships of the screen couple; and they constantly supercede each other.
½ November 5, 2017
murder mystery what? I was just watching for the chemistry between Powell and Loy, the sweetest functional alcoholic couple in cinematic history.
August 25, 2017
This fantastic film has everything. It's a romantic comedy, murder mystery with phenomenal chemistry between William Powell and Myrna Loy. Superb acting performances executed by this quick-witted duo.
August 12, 2017
copy my review notes on my phone notes and paste here.
½ August 1, 2017
The Thin Man has a less involving first act and sometimes the mystery part was overwhelming, but it was still pretty well written and well resolved. The screwball comedy part is where the movie shines with a superb brisk dialogue and many unforgettable scenes such as the car scene, the punch scene and the brilliant ending. William Powell and Myrna Loy are such a fantastic duo and their infectious dynamic and many hilarious lines made this movie along with Skippy the fox terrier who stole the show himself with a couple of funny and instantly recognizable hijinks.
Antonius Block
½ June 20, 2017
This was the movie that would launch the 'Thin Man' series, and as in the sequels which would follow, William Powell and Myrna Loy are so damn charming, endearing, and wonderful that you'll want to eat them up. The movie starts off with a gritty feeling, as an inventor finds he's been robbed of bonds from his safe, and angrily approaches his mistress. His daughter, played by the lovely Maureen O'Sullivan, is about to get married, and when he disappears shortly thereafter, she begins to worry. She runs into William Powell in a bar (where else?), and explains things to him, but he's on vacation and doesn't want anything to do with the case. Eventually of course, he gets sucked in.

Powell is simply outstanding in this movie. His character is what every man wishes he could be: witty, charming, one step ahead of everyone else, calm under pressure, married to the cute and playful Myrna Loy, and able to hold an incredible amount of liquor. Far from being stressed out, he's bemused by it all. Powell plays this role perfectly, and his chemistry with Loy is extraordinary. Their banter and quirky behavior quickly takes over the movie, rendering the mystery of the 'thin man' secondary. There are just so many funny lines and facial gestures that I was literally laughing out loud 83 years later. All that and 'Asta' the dog too! The actual solving of the crime is a little convoluted, but don't worry too much about that, you'll be highly entertained.
June 15, 2017
One of my favorite classics! William Powell and Myrna Loy were just perfect together and the series united mystery and slick comedy beautifully!
June 11, 2017
William Powell and Myrna Loy were perfect together, and that shows in the Thin Man series. Great dialogue, good action scenes, lots of humorous points, and just fun to watch.
December 3, 2016
Classic! Should be part of The Criterion Collection and should be on Blu-ray.
July 6, 2016
William Powell. What a legend.
½ June 4, 2016
More of a witty comedy than a murder mystery: a pleasant watch.
½ May 30, 2016
Probably overrated as a movie itself, but underrated as far as the characters and the chemistry between Powell and Loy, which is like some of the best ever on the silver screen.
March 19, 2016
Really enjoyed this comedy from 1934. William Powell and Myrna Loy make a great time, apparently they made 14 movies together, 6 of them in "The Thin Man Series". If you like classic movies, this is a must watch!
January 5, 2016
A real American film classic. Director W. S. Van Dyke thought the Dashiell Hammett story would be a fun throwaway vehicle (it was shot in just one week) for the studio, but the film ended up being a major hit and spawned numerous sequels (none as good as the original) and also kicked off a long running onscreen pairing of William Powell and Myrna Loy. In this film, they playa debonaire Manhattan couple, Nick and Nora Charles. Nick is a former detective who gets sucked into a convoluted missing person case involving the titular thin man. This film epitomized sophisticated witty comedy and Loy and Powell are just magical on screen. Besides their wonderful characterizations as Nick and Nora, they inhabit a world that I think most every person watching film would wish to inhabit. It's a world full of Manhattan nightclubs, colorful characters, witty repartee, and lots of drinking. As great as Powell and Loy are, I think this element of the film is under appreciated. Photographed by the great James Wong Howe, he makes this New York City high society seem a rich and lush place that you'd be unable to reciting wanting to be a part of. Cesar Romero also appears in the film, as does Maureen O'Sullivan, who I'd recently become kind of obsessed with and never realized she was in this film before. This film is a real classic and I think is one that would appeal to all audiences, even those who don't think they like black and white, classic films.
½ December 3, 2015
Nick and Nora Charles had the coolest marriage in movie history. William Powell and Myrna Loy's comfortable, easy banter was so much fun to watch, made you wish you had an awesome, smart spouse and you both bounced hilarious witty banter off each other all day.

In one scene, Nick holds the fetching Dorothy Wynant in his arms in sympathy for the loss of her father, when, of course, Nora walks into the room. In a hack comedy, this would prompt a whole suspicious wife subplot. But Nora just knowingly raises an eyebrow and ignores it, because of COURSE Nick isn't cheating on her, because she's the awesome Nora and they are so freaking perfect together.

In fact, one of the silliest lines in the movie is Nick informing Nora that he plans to bring the suspects together for a dinner party and he asks her if she has a formal gown to wear. Jeez Louise, does she have anything else?

I'm not a big mystery guy. I know enough to know that the murderer is never the obvious one, that everyone needs to be sufficiently shady to merit their suspicion, blah-blah-blah. The success of a good mystery is from the grace notes around the main plot. In the hands of Nick and Nora, the notes were always the most graceful.
½ October 16, 2015
Such a delightful experience, the rapid fire dialog, set design and costumes are worth the price of admission alone, but there's so much other stuff to recommend this one, including the undeniable chemistry between our two leads.

It's an amazingly fun film, Powell and Loy are a delight to watch and their clever & always loving banter never fails to make me smile.

Of course, it comes highly recommended.
September 30, 2015
Entretenida comedia detectivesca con tintes de film noir, llena de diálogos sarcásticos y mordaces entre la pareja de esposos William Powell y Myrna Loy, pareja que siguió con la saga de este film.
September 26, 2015
I liked the playful relationship between the couple but the movie was pretty boring. And why are they always drinking? enough already
½ September 15, 2015
A 90-minute advertisement for alcohol. There's a detective story somewhere, too.