The Thin Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thin Man Reviews

August 12, 2017
copy my review notes on my phone notes and paste here.
½ August 1, 2017
The Thin Man has a less involving first act and sometimes the mystery part was overwhelming, but it was still pretty well written and well resolved. The screwball comedy part is where the movie shines with a superb brisk dialogue and many unforgettable scenes such as the car scene, the punch scene and the brilliant ending. William Powell and Myrna Loy are such a fantastic duo and their infectious dynamic and many hilarious lines made this movie along with Skippy the fox terrier who stole the show himself with a couple of funny and instantly recognizable hijinks.
Antonius Block
½ June 20, 2017
This was the movie that would launch the 'Thin Man' series, and as in the sequels which would follow, William Powell and Myrna Loy are so damn charming, endearing, and wonderful that you'll want to eat them up. The movie starts off with a gritty feeling, as an inventor finds he's been robbed of bonds from his safe, and angrily approaches his mistress. His daughter, played by the lovely Maureen O'Sullivan, is about to get married, and when he disappears shortly thereafter, she begins to worry. She runs into William Powell in a bar (where else?), and explains things to him, but he's on vacation and doesn't want anything to do with the case. Eventually of course, he gets sucked in.

Powell is simply outstanding in this movie. His character is what every man wishes he could be: witty, charming, one step ahead of everyone else, calm under pressure, married to the cute and playful Myrna Loy, and able to hold an incredible amount of liquor. Far from being stressed out, he's bemused by it all. Powell plays this role perfectly, and his chemistry with Loy is extraordinary. Their banter and quirky behavior quickly takes over the movie, rendering the mystery of the 'thin man' secondary. There are just so many funny lines and facial gestures that I was literally laughing out loud 83 years later. All that and 'Asta' the dog too! The actual solving of the crime is a little convoluted, but don't worry too much about that, you'll be highly entertained.
June 15, 2017
One of my favorite classics! William Powell and Myrna Loy were just perfect together and the series united mystery and slick comedy beautifully!
June 11, 2017
William Powell and Myrna Loy were perfect together, and that shows in the Thin Man series. Great dialogue, good action scenes, lots of humorous points, and just fun to watch.
December 3, 2016
Classic! Should be part of The Criterion Collection and should be on Blu-ray.
July 6, 2016
William Powell. What a legend.
½ June 4, 2016
More of a witty comedy than a murder mystery: a pleasant watch.
½ May 30, 2016
Probably overrated as a movie itself, but underrated as far as the characters and the chemistry between Powell and Loy, which is like some of the best ever on the silver screen.
March 19, 2016
Really enjoyed this comedy from 1934. William Powell and Myrna Loy make a great time, apparently they made 14 movies together, 6 of them in "The Thin Man Series". If you like classic movies, this is a must watch!
January 5, 2016
A real American film classic. Director W. S. Van Dyke thought the Dashiell Hammett story would be a fun throwaway vehicle (it was shot in just one week) for the studio, but the film ended up being a major hit and spawned numerous sequels (none as good as the original) and also kicked off a long running onscreen pairing of William Powell and Myrna Loy. In this film, they playa debonaire Manhattan couple, Nick and Nora Charles. Nick is a former detective who gets sucked into a convoluted missing person case involving the titular thin man. This film epitomized sophisticated witty comedy and Loy and Powell are just magical on screen. Besides their wonderful characterizations as Nick and Nora, they inhabit a world that I think most every person watching film would wish to inhabit. It's a world full of Manhattan nightclubs, colorful characters, witty repartee, and lots of drinking. As great as Powell and Loy are, I think this element of the film is under appreciated. Photographed by the great James Wong Howe, he makes this New York City high society seem a rich and lush place that you'd be unable to reciting wanting to be a part of. Cesar Romero also appears in the film, as does Maureen O'Sullivan, who I'd recently become kind of obsessed with and never realized she was in this film before. This film is a real classic and I think is one that would appeal to all audiences, even those who don't think they like black and white, classic films.
½ December 3, 2015
Nick and Nora Charles had the coolest marriage in movie history. William Powell and Myrna Loy's comfortable, easy banter was so much fun to watch, made you wish you had an awesome, smart spouse and you both bounced hilarious witty banter off each other all day.

In one scene, Nick holds the fetching Dorothy Wynant in his arms in sympathy for the loss of her father, when, of course, Nora walks into the room. In a hack comedy, this would prompt a whole suspicious wife subplot. But Nora just knowingly raises an eyebrow and ignores it, because of COURSE Nick isn't cheating on her, because she's the awesome Nora and they are so freaking perfect together.

In fact, one of the silliest lines in the movie is Nick informing Nora that he plans to bring the suspects together for a dinner party and he asks her if she has a formal gown to wear. Jeez Louise, does she have anything else?

I'm not a big mystery guy. I know enough to know that the murderer is never the obvious one, that everyone needs to be sufficiently shady to merit their suspicion, blah-blah-blah. The success of a good mystery is from the grace notes around the main plot. In the hands of Nick and Nora, the notes were always the most graceful.
½ October 16, 2015
Such a delightful experience, the rapid fire dialog, set design and costumes are worth the price of admission alone, but there's so much other stuff to recommend this one, including the undeniable chemistry between our two leads.

It's an amazingly fun film, Powell and Loy are a delight to watch and their clever & always loving banter never fails to make me smile.

Of course, it comes highly recommended.
September 30, 2015
Entretenida comedia detectivesca con tintes de film noir, llena de diálogos sarcásticos y mordaces entre la pareja de esposos William Powell y Myrna Loy, pareja que siguió con la saga de este film.
September 26, 2015
I liked the playful relationship between the couple but the movie was pretty boring. And why are they always drinking? enough already
½ September 15, 2015
A 90-minute advertisement for alcohol. There's a detective story somewhere, too.
August 13, 2015
Back in the day, excellent chemistry between stars was a big thing. Its the only thing I liked in this murder mystery, was the back and forth between Powell and Loy. Everything else is rather pedestrian, because of the way its presented.
June 26, 2015
From the start, The Thin Man falls a little flat by being direct and straight-forward. The novel is a great story that unravels so slowly and smoothly, it's almost hard to notice that it's a murder mystery. William Powell and Myrna Loy are aces as Nick and Nora; there's not enough Nick and Nora. The film focuses on the Wynants, setting them up, instead of unraveling them like the layers of an onion as in the novel. A novel is always better than the film of the novel. That's true of The Thin Man. Still a fun film, just not as much fun as the novel.
June 5, 2015
The Thin Man is the first in a series of murder mystery films featuring a couple named Nick & Nora Charles. In this film the mystery centers around a family who are dealing with divorce, infidelity, and bickering over money. It all starts with an inventor who disappears. Then, a short time later, his mistress who was stealing money from him is found murdered. The mystery has a fair number of twists and turns which I appreciate because it kept me constantly guessing who might be the guilty party. It also helps that they had a cast of suspicious characters and gave them all reason and opportunity to want to commit the crime. Not to mention the missing inventor who just might be the one behind it all. When the truth was revealed at the end of the film I wasn't terribly shocked, because it made logical sense, but I also hadn't puzzled it all out myself. That's about all you can look for in a murder mystery film. What is unique about this one is that, even knowing the truth behind the crime I think I might watch this movie again, because the film wasn't all about murder.

Actually the real joy of The Thin Man wasn't in the mystery. While that was fun, it was nothing compared to the amazing relationship between Nick & Nora. William Powell plays Nick as a friend to all, who could charm anyone into revealing a bit too much. I love how he is so likable that men he once got arrested when he was working as a detective are now hanging out at his parties. Nora is played by Myrna Loy, and she is a confident woman who clearly adores her husband. Yet she's not afraid to tease him, which makes for some of the better laughs in the film. She has this desire to see him exercise his detecting skills, but he is constantly trying to avoid it. I guess I have a very old-fashioned sense of humor because the witty one-liners that these 2 exchange elicit so many laughs from me. After their first scene together I absolutely loved them, and any scenes where they weren't front and center I missed them. As an added note, it's pretty clear this took place right after prohibition ended because in almost every scene we see Nick with a drink in his hand. This adds to the humor of his character as well, and he certainly makes some lighthearted comments about it. I don't think The Thin Man is the best example of a mystery film, but I found it to be so fun to watch the main characters that I didn't care. This is a series I might have to dig into a little more.