The Thing Called Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

and amy liked it a lot.
April 7, 2012
the late River Phoenix's a real beauty :'( RIP ,,this was his last movie
April 5, 2012
I used to watch this movie every time it came on TV. It really wasn't ever a great film, but it was entertaining enough.
½ January 27, 2012
Pretty good movie, a few parts that I didn't see coming but not really a favorite.
½ January 3, 2012
River Phoenix.... cutie
½ November 20, 2011
Don't like any R.Phoenix movies, didn't liked this one as well. The songs in it was also bad.
½ October 20, 2011
Siskel $ Ebert called this movie "River Phoenix's Cry For Help;" indeed it is:

River Phoenix's eyes are dark, he's pale, he's acting stranger than usual . . . HEROIN! (River looks "beat-up" the way Corey Feldman looks like in Dream a Little Dream)

. . . Heroin intoxication affects your renal system as well as your brain, you are poisoning your body when you inhale or inject heroin.

Peter Bogdanovich also confirms that River Phhoenix acted strangely between takes.

-- Reportedly, River Phoenix first used heroin while preparing for his role as a heroin addicted male prostitute in My Own Private Idaho.

River Phoenix was a "disciple" of the Stanislovsky Method of acting where the actor is to do the exact same things the character he is portraying does.

from my post in the "News Section"
DARK BLOOD!!!!!!

Awesome.

Finally; I hope it features the Last Scene River Phoenix ever filmed where River is walking deeper and deeper into a dark cave alight with burning candles.

--- I still remember October 31, 1993 like it was yesterday. I was STUNNED by the news reports of River Phoenix collapsing on the side-walk of a "seedy" night-club on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles.

River was the most CLEAN-CUT dude around . . . drugs? no way; no FREAKING way; Not River . . . and HEROIN on top of that . . . because everybody knows that Heroin is the Worst-of-the-Worst Drugs to get on to.

-- . . . and River Phoenix died of a SPEED-BALL (Heroin and Cocaine) the EXACT combination of drugs that John Belushi.

--- You know that River Phoenix first "did" Heroin on the set of My Own Private Idaho; River Phoenix was a "disciple" of the Stanislovsky Method of acting where you actually do the things that the character you're portraying does.

No, Gus Van Sant (the director of My Own Private Idaho) did not have responsibility for what River Phoenix did or did not do to prepare for his role.

I used to blame Gus Van Sant for exploiting River Phoenix's youthfulness naivete:

that maybe Gus Van Sant egged-on River to get deeper into his part as a Male-Prostitute-slash-heroin-addict.

and

its highly subjective yet RIVER PHOENIX possessed a unique and irreplaceable quality; a unique and charismatic aura. Running on Empty is Classic. Harrison Ford (River's Father in Mosquito Coast) got the scar on his chin in a near-fatal car accident at age 23 and River Phoenix died at age 23. Harrison and River looked alike and acted alike. It was uncanny. Siskel and Ebert called The Thing Called Love River's Cry For Help . . . they were right; in The Thing Called Love, River's eyes are dark and he's pale; he acts weirder than usual throughout the picture. October 31. 1993 (the news reports from November 1, 1993) was Horrible.
½ September 20, 2011
Pretty entertaining...essentially a love story surrounded by aspiring musicians..good acting by all
½ August 9, 2011
This is one of my guilty pleasure movies, but I'm beginning to wonder why I classify it as such. The songs performed by the cast cannot be heard outside of the movie itself. It's unfortunate because they're fucking awesome. TTCL was River Phoenix's last movie and it's really sad that it's the oldest such a talented entertainer and humanitarian got. Some people criticize his performance and attribute it to drug abuse, but I can't really see it as anything but Phoenix portraying the character, albeit he is lanky and kind of pale. Indeed I've always felt he looked almost unhealthily skinny, so what the hell do I know? However, I believe he turns in a fine performance and does an excellent job with his songs as well. A deteriorating Hollywood suffered a great loss when he died. It was just a better time for movies.
½ July 12, 2011
*you're never gonna find another love like mine..
July 6, 2011
What a pile of tosh, sorry River but your final film was not worthy of you, and you didn't exactly give your best performance. Thats depressing. Its an awefull film, the love scene's were done with a smirk, the acting on all fronts, but Sandra Bullocks and Dermots (who amazingly made a bad script look good for a second) were awefull. Don't waist your time, remember him for another film- with a much better performance, there's plenty to pick from.
April 14, 2011
good movie with a strong cast,this was River Phoenix last movie before his death in 1993.Sandra Bullock puts in a good early performance,well worth watching
February 5, 2011
Anthony Clark always plays these annoying guys with thick accents in River Phoenix movies. I found him way funnier and more attractive on "Yes Dear." This isn't saying that Clark has a big role. It's still River's movie and he's interesting, if a bit quiet as the lead male. One of River's more watchable films post Stand By Me.
January 28, 2011
LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!
January 21, 2011
Somewhat likeable. Not entirely one that would have you all that interested. One of Rivers best though I'd say.
January 1, 2011
Hace tanto que no la veia....ME ENCANTA!!!
½ October 31, 2010
I enjoyed this movie. A good look at trying to make it in the country music business. A different but good performance from River Phoenix in his last film.
October 27, 2010
A great movie that is often hidden from most people. So "blame it on your lying cheating, cold dead beating, two timing double dealing, mean mistreating loving heart." It has a positive message, a lot of love, loss, and depicts what happens when a woman is courageous enough to pursue her dreams.
October 22, 2010
I am not at all into country music but still I enjoyed watching this movie. Its really a good movie.
October 17, 2010
Sad to see this was River Phoenix's last film its such an average film for an amazing actor.