The Thing Called Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thing Called Love Reviews

½ September 18, 2010
I remember enjoyed this movie long time ago, so I decided to watch it again hoping to have the same experience. I wish I didn't so I could keep the good memory, but things changed unfortunately.

Samantha Mathis as Miranda Presley, a woman from New York who moved to Nashville hoping to get her big break as country singer. I understood why she kept getting rejected, she didn't seem that talented. She wasn't bad, but she wasn't great either and that goes to the rest of the characters (Dermot Mulroney and Sandra Bullock), at least Bullock's character has an excuse! The only thing that I could enjoy a bit was River Phoenix as James Wright.

When I first watch the movie, I thought James supposed to act 'drunk' and careless, the way Phoenix portrayed and at that time I thought it was kinda cool. Of course now I couldn't help noticed that maybe the actor already dealing with drug problem that made him acted that way. Even Roger Ebert noticing that.

Of course, this one is also love story, or should I say love triangle? Still, not really enough conflict nor any development characters, and not too convincing as a story about people chasing the dream.

So, I guess this would be the last time for me to ever view this one ever again.
½ May 24, 2010
Awesome movie I loved it xx RIP River Phoenix I miss you x
½ May 10, 2010
Sweet movie - I like River & Samantha's chemistry in this movie. Sandra was great as a sidekick and for the entertainment value.
March 24, 2010
this looks really good especilly the reviews , cnt wait to watch this one !!
January 16, 2010
Besides Stand By Me, this is probably my favorite River Phoenix movie!
January 4, 2010
i love river and samantha
December 24, 2009
maybe not one of rivers best but the chemistry and intensity is definitely there between him and samantha mathis(a consistent good actress and highly underated). the plot is interesting and engaging. the acting sadly is sometimes off on river's part because of his drug troubles off screen. sadly you can see it diminish his acting. he is not as sharp as his earlier acting but he is still strong in his abilities. I enjoy samantha in indies like this and freak city much much better than the horrid and overblown action fiasco-broken arrow. I think she took it just for a pay check more than anything else. the ending of this seems a little tacked on to please people but overall the movie is worth checking out just to see young actor(sandra bullock,dermont mulroney, samantha and river) taking an indie chance in their careers so I have respect for that.
December 19, 2009
River Phoenix was so cute. How I wish he's still alive.
quentintolentino
½ November 27, 2009
It's River Phoenix's last performance, but the story is all messed up I guess. The film exhibits how a single talent and passion can change one's life if used properly. The music is excellent in this film. But the ending did not offer any favorable conclusion at all.
November 20, 2009
I find this movie really enjoyable. I didn't really like country music before I saw it, but I definitely had a new appreciation for it afterwards. I can really relate to the story of young musicians trying to make it in the music business, and I think the actors really portray their characters well. Even aside from the fact that Dermot Mulroney is one of my favourite actors, he's still amazing. His singing voice is to die for, and his character in this movie is probably one of the sweetest I've ever seen.
½ October 30, 2009
One of my faves! Great soundtrack!
½ October 28, 2009
Well it realy depends on the mood. I found hard to watch all movie at one time... Fall asleep at some moments, but it was ok movie nevertheless.
October 25, 2009
a very crazy country movie, but a great tribute to river phoenix
½ October 2, 2009
**1/2 (out of four)

Interesting, but hollow look at three young people who move to Nashville in an attempt to make it in the tough world of country western music. Nice performances, but it seems way too chic. A much better look at the country world is Altman's "Nashville".
½ September 1, 2009
in this movie, river phoenix reminded me a lot of johnny depp..maybe because of the hair, or the bravado.could have been better than him..poor goner..
½ August 31, 2009
August 30, 2009
Top 5 best movies of all time

Rita Riggs: Costume Designer: "Loooook, at Dermot Mulroney. Only the Irish can make beautiful men like that"

Although I think River Phoenix was more attractive, right you are Rita, right you are.
August 22, 2009
wow, great movie, loved river pheniox performance
½ August 22, 2009
I felt quite sad watching this film knowing that it was River Phoenix last film before he met his premature death. His was by for the best performance. Pretty average film but for some reason I really liked it. My heart went out to Dermot Mulroney's character, well I do have a slight soft spot for him. This film has also now given me a new appreciation of Country Music too.
July 18, 2009
Wicked movie I loved it river Phoenix shows how talented he was with not only him acting but his singing too x