Things Change - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Things Change Reviews

½ June 10, 2013
It's a film that comes with a perfect shoeshine and smile underneath its ludicrous and cynical premise. Only Mamet could pull this one off.
October 6, 2012
despite some contrivances and hokey moments, this was a pleasant, engaging and at times funny look at mamet's take on chicago and vegas mobsters. ameche and mantegna are a nice pair here.
½ May 16, 2012
Nine years after Hal Ashby's quixotic 1979 tale of mistaken identity, Being There (with Peter Sellers as the humble gardener), Mamet followed with his take on the same subject, throwing in the Mob and its code of honor (!!!) for comic spin. Joe Mantagna is the family flunky chosen with cred enough to babysit a shoeshine boy and he's credible if underwritten. Ameche, though, is the whole film, carrying the whole piece. I thought he understood it better than Mamet pretended to ...
½ April 16, 2012
Finally, a David Mamet film worth watching all the way through...
½ March 11, 2012
Its a good low-key mob comedy. It's kinda gun to watch and has a surprise ending.
March 8, 2011
While the movie moved at a snails pace, I found that I kept waiting for something good to happen. It finally did. It ended.
June 30, 2010
Things Change, David Mamet's directorial follow-up to the fun and twisty House of Games, is a "heart-warming comedy" that isn't particularly heart-warming or funny. It's a very, very lightweight tale of mistaken identity and friendship, and although it was enjoyable enough to watch, I can't say it's left me with much to think about. Mamet should stick to twisty, dialogue-driven pieces, and leave the lightweight stuff for directors who don't claim "auteur" status.
June 29, 2010
David Mamet's second film is a funny and touching mob story unlike anything I've really seen before. It sort of plays out like a modern day fable - with some very memorable sequences.
June 27, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

A delightful movie.
½ March 19, 2010
½ March 19, 2010
79/100. Don Ameche is such a wonderful actor, he gives such a beautifully poignant performance. Great story, very well done. Joe Mantegna is also terrific. The character development is superb, you get to know and care about the characters. The score is perfect, effective cinematography that really emphases each situation. Powerful and moving. What a great story.
½ March 13, 2010
Just when I think I have David Mamet pegged, I see this sweet and funny fable. He proves to me again of his great ability as both writer and director. What really works about the film is that the concept actually works and unfolds smoothly. The film also has the great benefit of having he great Don Ameche. Ameche is great in these kind of roles. Ameche also finds a good sparing partner in Joe Mantegna, who is a great straight man. A fun and airy film.
November 4, 2009
A heart warming ganster meets fairytale about an old italian-american shoe shiner(Ameche) who's taken to lake Tahoe by knock around guy, Mantegna for fun weekend before going to jail for a crime he didn't comimitt. Much more PG and happy than most of Mammet's films(probably do to the co-writing of poet, Shel Silverstein)but still the films has suspense and real stakes. Great performances by Ameche and Mantegna make this movie magical to watch.
March 18, 2009
great movie, keeps you thinking
½ December 7, 2008
One of the lighter Mamet flicks... it doesn't always work, but there are several lovely moments, and is worth checking out.
½ November 15, 2008
I saw this film years ago and it stays in the mind because of one line. Don Ameche to the mob boss - "It takes a big man to know the value of a small coin". Lovely little film.
November 13, 2008
It just stuck with me from the time I first saw it, It's true things do Change.

Funny, sad etc..
August 15, 2008
From the moment you watch Don Ameche's face, you instantly know this will be a humble, honest and heartwarming story. David Mamet changed his register here, in his second film.
A sweet comedy with crystalline acting, writing and direction.
August 7, 2008
Smart, and funny. Once again, an original idea from Mamet. Considering this is the weakest of the three Mantegna, Mamet, films, it still makes you say "wow" at the end. Yes this one is actually on DVD!
August 6, 2008
Even though the DVD cover is terrible(why is Mantegna smiling?), this was a very good(and funny) effort from Mantegna and David Mamet.

Also, Shel Silverstein wrote it with Mamet, which I thought was weird.