Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead Reviews

• Sep 24, 2019

I do not understand the low critic rating... well maybe I do: wokedness. There are plenty of crude and insensitive terms used by crude and insensitive characters which were anachronisms even for 1995. The movie is really good though; excellent acting by an amazing cast. Fast paced and poignant plotting.

• Aug 02, 2019

It's insane that this gets dismissed as a Tarantino rip-off; the movie is in on the joke the whole time. It's a truly unique blend of satire and the real thing, with each archetype from a tough-guy flick skewed about 25% towards an Airplane style screwball caricature, played out as a perfect deadpan. Even the theme of accepting your own mortality and the associated metaphors are over the top to the point of hilarity and yet somehow hold up. The epitome of this is the afterlife advice videos, which are hilarious both as a business idea and as situational comedy, telegraph Jimmy's competence, reinforce the theme with the subtlety of artillery fire, and deliver some genuinely sentimental and uplifting moments. This movie is a work of art.

• Jun 13, 2019

One of my all time favourite movies.

One of my all time favourite movies.

• Sep 16, 2018

Following the success of "Reservoir Dogs" (1992) and "Pulp Fiction" (1994), there were a slew of quirky (and violent) crime films. Most of them were pretty awful ("2 Days in the Valley" "Lucky Number Slevin") and some that were pretty excellent ("Get Shorty" "Grosse Pointe Blank" "Go"). "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead" falls somewhere in between. The film was written by Scott Rosenberg, who's written solid entertainment like "Con Air" and "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" to duds like "Kangaroo Jack" and the "Gone in Sixty Seconds" remake. The script on it's own probably falls into the the lesser half of Tarantino knock-offs, but an excellent cast (Andy García, Christopher Lloyd, Treat Williams, Bill Nunn, Jack Warden, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Walken, Fairuza Balk, Gabrielle Anwar, Bill Cobbs, Glenn Plummer, Don Cheadle, and Tiny Lister) greatly elevate the material. The story follows Jimmy the Saint (Garcia) as he puts together a disparate crew of quirky criminals (i.e.Lloyd has appendages falling off and Williams uses bodies at the funeral parlor he works at as as punching bags) on a job that, as you'd expect, goes all wrong. The film does have it's moments. Williams and Nunn cursing each other out in a Resturant while birthday-hat-wearing children look on in stunned silence is pretty funny. Williams as the unpredictable and off kilter Critical Bill is probably the best part of the film. A close second is a doomed romance between Garcia and Anwar. However, the film's script is really just trying too hark in it's attempt to be cool and quirky. The narration by the great Jack Warden seemed particularly pretentious. Overall, there are better films to choose from if you're wanting 90s style Tarantino rip-offs, but if you like the cast here (which I do greatly), you'll probably enjoy "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead."

• May 03, 2018

Very underrated movie. Well worth checking out if you can find it.

Very underrated movie. Well worth checking out if you can find it.

• Feb 03, 2018

Muddled Tarantino wannabe.

Muddled Tarantino wannabe.

• Oct 28, 2017

Obscure and Original. Used to whisper it to me friends.

Obscure and Original. Used to whisper it to me friends.

• Aug 31, 2017

Love this I just saw it again tonight after 20 and brought back so many memories. The movie was a big influence in my life, how to be a man, a gentleman, how to be a true friend, but also that you cant escape your past. Andy Garcia was at the top of his career still had the godfather swagger. Great movie...

• Jul 27, 2015

More than just the Pulp Fiction clone everyone seems to label it as. The script is razor sharp and the cast is perfect.

• Jun 28, 2015

One of those films I always meant to see. However it reflected the period it was made a little more than convey a great story. Garcia carries the majority of the film but seeing Treat Williams play an unstable psychopath is an interesting turn if you've admired his other work.