Things We Lost in the Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Things We Lost in the Fire Reviews

April 18, 2017
I really enjoyed this Beautiful Film , but I just wanted a little more scenes with David Duchovny(Mulder, The X Files)...
½ February 10, 2017
A fairly well-constructed plot, which unfolds gracefully. Del Toro and Berry are thoroughly human and believable characters who share a symbiotic road to recovery. Del Toro's character is complex, and part of the intrigue of this movie is the unravelling of his complexities, often in emotionally tense scenes.
February 10, 2017
The story does not hold up to the pace of the movie. Very long and slow with nothing really happening to draw you in further. Well acted for the most part but does also feel over acted as well, especially Halle Berry.
December 25, 2016
didn't care for the story or the score.
November 18, 2016
For a dark matter this is a beautiful film of human emotion. It's flawed rawness doesn't paint the happiness of pictures, but with heartfelt performances from both Hale Berry and Benicio Del Toro, this meets a level within you, not every viewer will appreciate
July 8, 2016
86%
Things we lost in the fire benefits from its most eccentric script that is too often meandering and careless, but allows it to deviate from a cliched path. The film also has a powerhouse performance from Benicio Del Toro and Berry in one of her best roles. The film is a potent look into addiction, love and recovery. Bier's cinematography technique of focussing on the eyes of the characters give the film a unique feel.
½ May 8, 2016
Interesting movie. Loved all the roles, Benecio del toro, Halle Berry and David Duchovny. I saw this movie back when it came out but didn't remember all of it. It was great to re watch it.
½ March 9, 2016
Solid movie, good acting. Not great but decent story.
February 23, 2016
My boricua Benicio, is a hit on films!
And the quimic of him with Halle is fantastic! - Not bad at all :)
February 16, 2016
Nuanced storytelling, though conventional at some times, with a subtle performance from Halle Berry and an earth shattering Benicio Del Toro, THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE is finely crafted with repaired heart.
½ December 22, 2015
misery loves company, yet the misery shared can mend the broken
November 14, 2015
I wish it had been better, but it wasn't. Still, what was right, especially the acting and the chemistry, was worth the 118 minutes.
October 31, 2015
I thought it would be depressing and some of it is rather, it was still very watchable and the performances are excellent all round - director has a tendency to do M&S/Nigella Lawson like closeups a bit too much though
June 30, 2015
A very interesting movie about addiction and loss and how the two can intersect. Berry and Del Toro are doing a great job!
½ May 27, 2015
05/24/15 After her husband is killed a grief stricken woman tries to forge a bond with his childhood friend, an ex lawyer who is now a struggling with drug addiction. powerful drama
February 7, 2015
WOW.....WOW....WOW....WOW.....WOW...WOW....SO SO SO STUNNING.....MAN I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH......ITS GOT A GREAT CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSESS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......I think that halle berry, benicio del toro, david duchovney (from the brilliant tv series The X-Files), alxeis Llewellyn, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a stunningly beautiful movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch.....

Box office

The film was released October 19, 2007 in 1,142 theaters in the United States and Canada and grossed $1.5 million its opening weekend, ranking #15 at the box office. As of November 18, 2007, it has grossed $3,287,315

Critical reception

Critics gave the film generally favorable reviews. As of January 29, 2008 on the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, 64% of critics gave the film positive reviews, based on 117 reviews. On Metacritic, the film had an average score of 63 out of 100, based on 30 reviews.

Josh Rosenblatt of The Austin Chronicle gave the film 4 stars and said the film is "an impeccably constructed and perfectly paced drama of domestic and internal volatility." Rosenblatt wrote "Berry is brilliant here, as good as she's ever been" and said of Benicio del Toro's performance, "with Things We Lost in the Fire, he's managed to top even himself." Jack Mathews of the New York Daily News gave the film 3 1/2 stars and called it "an award contender...in several positions." Mathews said it is "beautifully written" by Allan Loeb and "acted with heartbreaking efficiency by Halle Berry and Benicio del Toro." Los Angeles Daily News critic Glenn Whipp said the film "will probably be most American moviegoers' introduction to the Dogma-flavored direction of Susanne Bier" and said "Newcomers probably won't be as irritated by Bier's herky-jerky, hand-held camerawork, desaturated colors and odd obsession with random close-ups, especially of characters' eyes...For the rest of us, Bier's directorial tics are beginning to wear thin..."

Claudia Puig of USA Today gave the film 3 stars out of 4 and said "The movie makes some missteps, most of them in pacing and length, and the story veers occasionally into melodrama, but it is saved by the powerful performance of Benicio del Toro", calling him "hypnotically watchable." Joe Morgenstern of The Wall Street Journal wrote "Flawed as it is, the movie as a whole is a guilty pleasure." Morgenstern said "del Toro is a fearless actor" and said the film "would be fairly lifeless without him." Morgenstern wrote "Berry is skillful and affecting, occasionally ferocious, and subtle enough for two, in what is essentially a two-character drama."Stephen Holden of The New York Times said the film "is the kind of awards-seeking Hollywood movie that bends over backward to prove that serious American movies can hold their own with the best films from overseas. They don't, of course, except in very rare instances." Kyle Smith of the New York Post gave the film 1 1/2 stars out of 4 and said the film "was made to win awards, and I'm here to present it with one: the Cliché of the Year honors, otherwise known as the Hackney.

Home media

It was released on DVD and HD DVD on March 4, 2008. A Blu-Ray version was released on March 24, 2009.

I think that benicio del toro was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie, I think that this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a beautifully written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch, but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch, it is such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ February 5, 2015
movie making at its finest. brings me to tears every time.
½ January 17, 2015
Benicio del Toro. Cool name eh.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A fair drama movie with Halle Berry and Benicio Del Tero. The movie follows the story of a tragedy in a family and had a quite good story overall i thought but felt a bit slow sometimes. Anyway this is not always my type of movies but fairly this time.
November 25, 2014
Solid character drama, though probably the weakest of the four films I've seen directed by Susanne Bier, a director I've really become a huge fan of. Well acted by Del Toro, and, for perhaps like only the 2nd time (after maybe Monster's Ball), a good performance from Halle Berry. Not that memorable, though.