Reviews

• Mar 24, 2022

Straight to the heart

Straight to the heart

• Apr 20, 2021

Things you can tell by looking at her. Strange title that didn't work for me. After watching what seemed like a slow torturous journey into these womens lives, I was left wondering what in the world you could tell by looking at them. It was odd. A tarrot card reader who wouldn't answer a question about her girlfriend's dream. A sister who says, hey go nail my sister, you'd be doing her a favor. Ew. A clearly mentally ill and abusive homeless person verbally attacking someone. So many parts of the movie didn't read as normal responses. Bizzare.

• Mar 28, 2021

Good cast, bad movie. I kept waiting for something to happen. It's very slow and a little confusing. Who was the woman that killed herself? Was there a man involved and why was her house cleaned out— (no photos), etc.? What mother sniffs her son while he's sleeping (creepy)? Why does the Cameron Diaz character care about her lipstick color if she's blind? Is she blind because of illness or an accident? Unclear. Why did her lover pass her in the elevator and keep walking? And why did this same man get around so much, sleeping with three of the characters? Was he also a lover of the dead woman? Why the mini-investigation into her life to discover she had lost a baby many years ago? The movie is quite depressing and is a very dim view of middle-aged women. While it's nice to see a movie cast with middle-aged women, it would have been nice if it could have been a storyline that showed them to be vibrant and thriving instead of pale and waning. For me, this movie was a waste of time.

• Jul 13, 2019

Usually not my particular taste but the fluidity of the film works so well, it's hard to not like this film

• Jun 29, 2017

Story/Screenplay: (3/5) It's one of those stories where everyone's individual storyline is connected to someone else's, until by the end of the film all the connections come around in a circle and you're back to the starting storyline. It's been done before with other films, but done better. This one is really low-key and lacks the drama that could drive the story or engage the viewer. Duration/Tempo: (3/5) At 1 hour and 49 minutes, it's an average length movie that felt about the same. There weren't any spots that were slower than others, but the pacing in general was on the slow side. Cast & Crew: (3.5/5) Solid performances across the board, but special mention goes out to Cameron Diaz and Holly Hunter. Summary: (3/5) The cast was good, but the story was middling and the film could have picked up the pace a bit. Overall, a thumbs down.

• Feb 26, 2016

I did not get the upper gradation or vignette that he put on many scenes. It added nothing but distraction. Not exactly subtle. Kind of like "instant doom look."

• Jul 31, 2014

love this movie didn't want it to end

love this movie didn't want it to end

• Mar 26, 2014

one of the longest titles ever and a good chick flick

one of the longest titles ever and a good chick flick

• Mar 16, 2014

05/31/15 five interconnecting stories deal with dramatic developments in the lives of several women. In the first, a doctor glenn close feels her life may change after she receives a tarot card reading.

• Jan 14, 2014

One of these all female star cast for a film exploring the femininity through different characters, their lives & problems. it's really well shot, well written & perfectly acted by a bunch of remarkable actresses.