Third Man on the Mountain Reviews

• Oct 06, 2016

I haven't seen this since it was released. Now I am introducing my grandkids to a great Disney Movie.

• Jan 19, 2015

The story is kinda so-so, but for it's time, the way this movie was filmed on an actual mountain was unheard of and groundbreaking at the time.

• Dec 22, 2014

based on a true story shot on location

based on a true story shot on location

• Jun 10, 2012

One of the best movies of all time. Awesome mountaineering for the 50s.

One of the best movies of all time. Awesome mountaineering for the 50s.

• May 31, 2012

I have held movies like K2 and Touching The Void as benchmarks in mountaineering films but I recently discovered the 1959 Disney film 'Third Man On The Mountain' and it rests firmly on the mantle. Set in Switzerland during the Golden Age Of Alpinism it's the story of a 18 year old boy, Rudi, who aspires to concur the region's most notorious and treacherous mountain, The Citadel. His father died sixteen years earlier attempting to climb it and no man dared step foot on it again. Considered to be cursed by locals, Rudi is forbidden to climb it, however with the encouragement of a famous mountaineer he sets out to defy all critics. This is really an incredible film... consider that it was made in 1959, the climbing scenes are some of the most spectacular ever filmed. Shot on location (mostly) these climbers defy gravity with nothing but a coil of rope. It defied logic and given its year of production, it puts the other aforementioned MODERN films to shame. The cinematography is spectacular and every scene on the mountain is breathtaking. This is what cinema is all about. Excitement and adventure at its best and a timeless classic that should be seen by all.

• May 22, 2012

A must-see hidden gem.

A must-see hidden gem.

• May 17, 2012

I have held movies like K2 and Touching The Void as benchmarks in mountaineering films but I recently discovered the 1959 Disney film 'Third Man On The Mountain' and it rests firmly on the mantle. Set in Switzerland during the Golden Age Of Alpinism it's the story of a 18 year old boy, Rudi, who aspires concur the region's most notorious and treacherous mountain, The Citadel. His father died sixteen years earlier attempting to climb it and no man dared step foot on it again. Considered to be cursed by locals, Rudi is forbidden to climb it, however with the encouragement of a famous mountaineer he sets out to defy all critics. This is really an incredible film... consider that it was made in 1959, the climbing scenes are some of the most spectacular ever filmed. Shot on location (mostly) these climbers defy gravity with nothing but a coil of rope. It defied logic and given its year of production, it puts the other aforementioned MODERN films to shame. The cinematography is spectacular and every scene on the mountain is breathtaking. This is what cinema is all about. Excitement and adventure at it's best and one a timeless classic the should be seen by all.

• Feb 22, 2010

Scenic and inspirational. James MacArthur conquers the Matterhorn in a wonderful Disney adventure outing. (First viewing - Fall 2009)

• Jul 18, 2009

Great movie! I loved it!

Great movie! I loved it!

• Super Reviewer
    Jun 27, 2008

Ever wonder why the Matterhorn was at Disneyland?

Ever wonder why the Matterhorn was at Disneyland?