Thirteen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thirteen Reviews

½ July 11, 2016
Great plot, great direction, and fantastic acting from Wood and Hunter. This movie makes me really not want to have any children.
July 1, 2016
Brilliant depiction of what all American family goes through when any one within goes awry.
June 23, 2016
I thought I could watch the movie. But like what's the point of clicking if I "want to see" or "not interested" if I can't even watch the movie. What if I buy the movie and it's going to be totally lame like why can't I just watch the movie for free. This is some BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 16, 2016
Visually very unique. Parenthood pointers 101. Cool performances, original cinematography, great plot arch.
½ June 7, 2016
"Thirteen" is a groundbreaking film. I first watched it when my daughter was experiencing some of the teenage woes portrayed. Courageous and difficult to digest, which is one of its strengths, one cannot help watching. "Thirteen" is raw, compelling and honest, and captures an era. The performances, a testament to the cast as well as Catherine Hardwicke's direction, are authentic, passion-filled and meaningful. Holly Hunter shines. The cinematography creates a rugged visual terrain and perceptual empathy that draws you into the world of turmoil and trauma that Tracy, well executed by Evan Rachel Wood, and ultimately all of the characters, are struggling through. There are no easy answers, which is a triumph for the overall story, evidencing the adroit talents of Nikki Reed. The music and score feed the mood beautifully. Special nod to Rosemary Marks and Nancy Richardson for enjoining the natural chaos and depth of the content with a sense of cohesion and clarity. A masterful and influential work.
½ June 7, 2016
A masterfully directed, subjective roller coaster ride down the slope of adolescence with all the highs and lows of teenage melodrama. Hardwicke's deep commitment to her characters allows them to transcend their circumstances to tap that deep, underlying angst that carries over for many of us into our adult lives. Every technical aspect services the story, the characters and their emotional journey. We are right there with them, strapped in for the ride.
March 26, 2016
One of my favorites.
March 14, 2016
Gripping, intense teen drama might hit hard
½ October 18, 2015
Watching this film made me quite uncomfortable, but that was obviously the film's point. This movie provides a very bleak view, centered around domestic dysfunction. Holly Hunter is great as usual, but it is Evan Rachel Wood, playing her daughter, who makes this film a resounding success with her anguished performance as a destructive teen on the brink. Might be especially frightening for expectant parents or those with young children, but it also can be viewed beneficially as a reminder of various pit-falls that exist in our world.
½ September 29, 2015
Elevated by shoutout performances by Evan Rachel Wood, Holly Hunter and Nikki Reed, Thirteen is an authentically terrifying, emotionally visceral look into the inner world of teenage rebellion that uses its gorgeously gloomy cinematography to capture the mood of the thoroughly absorbing -- not to mention deeply depressing -- coming-of-age drama.
½ July 26, 2015
All current and prospective parents need to watch this
½ July 10, 2015
A wonderful gem of a movie with amazing performances from Evan Rachel Wood, who I normally am not a fan of, and Holly Hunter. Co writer Nikki Reed is also great in this. Catherine Hardwick's direction is cool, zany, and unique and it is crazy how her career has spiraled ever since with Twilight and Red Riding Hood. She really does an amazing job with this film. The cinematography is cool, the soundtrack is fun, and the writing is really great. It's a great coming of age film and takes a lot of great risks. Some of it is hard to watch because of how graphic it can be but overall it is a wonderful film
May 26, 2015
One of my favorite movies. A gut-wrenching depiction of adolescent pain. The acting is PHENOMENAL. The ending gets me teary-eyed every time.
May 13, 2015
VERY powerful story of peer pressure, negative influences, and their inevitable consequences. A must-see for teens and their parents.
March 25, 2015
I love this movie! I can add it to my video collection.
½ February 14, 2015
This movie effected me intensely when I first saw it. Powerful and very relatable performance from Evan Rachel Wood. Very realistic and dark.
February 1, 2015
Great movie wonderful morals for teens.
January 30, 2015
One might liken Thirteen to Larry Clark's infamous Kids with its frank and hard to stomach depiction of the dangers of adolescence, but with a blistering pair of performances from Evan Rachel Wood and Holly Hunter as troubled mother and daughter, Thirteen ranks in the upper echelons of American teenage cinema.
January 20, 2015
Holly Hunter and Evan Rachel Wood give powerful performances in Thirteen, a film that's frustratingly over the top stylistically and narratively. Despite my gripes with the films over the top nature, I do think it gets its point across effectively due too it's sheer shock value and honesty.
December 15, 2014
A stirring slice of recklessness, Thirteen isn't creative enough to be truly edgy and spends too much energy glamorizing its vices to dignify any subsequent disavowal, but is salvaged by intense and gripping character drama.