Thirteen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thirteen Reviews

½ September 28, 2017
What could have become a heinous TV movie instead delivers the moving and relatable experience of being an emotionally overburdened person stuck in a world that mostly sucks.
August 4, 2017
Good idea executed terribly. Like one reviewer said its like a valley girl movie masquerading as social commentary. Perfectly put. See 'Kids' instead.
May 28, 2017
I really felt this as I had a friendship similar to this as a teen.
½ May 22, 2017
Catherine Hardwicke pulled together a pretty solid teenage drama about the casualties and consequences of puberty missteps, and the influence of wrong companies at the wrong age, not to mention Evan Rachel Wood's fantastic performance as the troubled main character.
½ April 2, 2017
Thirteen is a grim and startling cautionary tale with powerful efforts from Evan Rachel Wood and Holly Hunter.
September 22, 2016
It's okay but not my style of movie
½ August 28, 2016
Terrifying and powerful
August 12, 2016
A share of the ups and down of a teenager's best dreams and worst nightmares. We forget how it was, to be so oblivious and so immortal to the realities of the world.
This movie makes it easy for us to remember.
A truly well done picture of adolescence, trauma and the world getting the better of you while your "best friend" is right by your side.
½ July 11, 2016
Great plot, great direction, and fantastic acting from Wood and Hunter. This movie makes me really not want to have any children.
July 1, 2016
Brilliant depiction of what all American family goes through when any one within goes awry.
June 23, 2016
I thought I could watch the movie. But like what's the point of clicking if I "want to see" or "not interested" if I can't even watch the movie. What if I buy the movie and it's going to be totally lame like why can't I just watch the movie for free. This is some BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 16, 2016
Visually very unique. Parenthood pointers 101. Cool performances, original cinematography, great plot arch.
½ June 7, 2016
"Thirteen" is a groundbreaking film. I first watched it when my daughter was experiencing some of the teenage woes portrayed. Courageous and difficult to digest, which is one of its strengths, one cannot help watching. "Thirteen" is raw, compelling and honest, and captures an era. The performances, a testament to the cast as well as Catherine Hardwicke's direction, are authentic, passion-filled and meaningful. Holly Hunter shines. The cinematography creates a rugged visual terrain and perceptual empathy that draws you into the world of turmoil and trauma that Tracy, well executed by Evan Rachel Wood, and ultimately all of the characters, are struggling through. There are no easy answers, which is a triumph for the overall story, evidencing the adroit talents of Nikki Reed. The music and score feed the mood beautifully. Special nod to Rosemary Marks and Nancy Richardson for enjoining the natural chaos and depth of the content with a sense of cohesion and clarity. A masterful and influential work.
½ June 7, 2016
A masterfully directed, subjective roller coaster ride down the slope of adolescence with all the highs and lows of teenage melodrama. Hardwicke's deep commitment to her characters allows them to transcend their circumstances to tap that deep, underlying angst that carries over for many of us into our adult lives. Every technical aspect services the story, the characters and their emotional journey. We are right there with them, strapped in for the ride.
March 26, 2016
One of my favorites.
March 14, 2016
Gripping, intense teen drama might hit hard
½ October 18, 2015
Watching this film made me quite uncomfortable, but that was obviously the film's point. This movie provides a very bleak view, centered around domestic dysfunction. Holly Hunter is great as usual, but it is Evan Rachel Wood, playing her daughter, who makes this film a resounding success with her anguished performance as a destructive teen on the brink. Might be especially frightening for expectant parents or those with young children, but it also can be viewed beneficially as a reminder of various pit-falls that exist in our world.
½ September 29, 2015
Elevated by shoutout performances by Evan Rachel Wood, Holly Hunter and Nikki Reed, Thirteen is an authentically terrifying, emotionally visceral look into the inner world of teenage rebellion that uses its gorgeously gloomy cinematography to capture the mood of the thoroughly absorbing -- not to mention deeply depressing -- coming-of-age drama.
½ July 26, 2015
All current and prospective parents need to watch this
½ July 10, 2015
A wonderful gem of a movie with amazing performances from Evan Rachel Wood, who I normally am not a fan of, and Holly Hunter. Co writer Nikki Reed is also great in this. Catherine Hardwick's direction is cool, zany, and unique and it is crazy how her career has spiraled ever since with Twilight and Red Riding Hood. She really does an amazing job with this film. The cinematography is cool, the soundtrack is fun, and the writing is really great. It's a great coming of age film and takes a lot of great risks. Some of it is hard to watch because of how graphic it can be but overall it is a wonderful film