This Is Martin Bonner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Is Martin Bonner Reviews

½ June 18, 2017
some real life shit. I appreciate the realness to it even if it doesnt have much of a pay off
June 2, 2017
Like most people, I use the ratings here to influence my choices when I am looking for something different. This one did not disappoint. It transported me to the lives of two people living similar but totally different lives. I kept waiting for a big something bad to happen and instead it was only good with some reality mixed in. Left me wanting to spend more time in their lives, was disappointed when it ended kind of abruptly.
½ December 20, 2016
Now that I'm a movie genius I look back on these old ratings and don't want to change them but idk how trustworthy a 3.5 can be here . Before I knew what I know I think I trusted rating a little too much
Harlequin68
½ August 12, 2015
Martin Bonner(Paul Eenhoorn) is a middle-aged divorced man who lives alone in Reno, Nevada, transplanted from Australia by way of Baltimore. When his grown daughter is not setting him up on blind dates, he volunteers to counsel recently released convicts. The latest is Travis Holloway(Richmond Arquette) who has just been released after a 12-year sentence and is wondering what to do next. Before he looks for a job, Martin takes the opportunity to take him out to lunch.

Not much happens in the low key character study "This Is Martin Bonner." Then again not much has to really, as the movie takes its time in setting the mood and getting to know these two lonely men, both at different points in their respective lives. In general, the movie confirms the observation that everybody in Nevada has come from somewhere else, with Martin being imported due to his knowledge of soccer. So, if Las Vegas does get an NHL franchise, they will have to entice Canadians to come south by the busload.
½ February 22, 2015
kind of interesting, better than expected.
½ October 3, 2014
a slow boring nothing. i have no idea why i watched this. what a waste. theirs no reason to watch this, there's no substance.
July 5, 2014
This movie has great discussion potential. There are so many questions at the end about why certain things were put in and others left out, and others dropped after being introduced. One of the more realistic movies I've seen with a strong Christian voice in the film.
June 28, 2014
A thoughtful and quiet film that lingers long after its end.
April 16, 2014
2013 Sundance Film Festival[2] - Winner of the Audience Award: Best of NEXT [3]

2013 Oxford Film Festival[4]

2013 Florida Film Festival[5]

2013 Nashville Film Festival[6]

2013 Sarasota Film Festival - Winner of On Golden Pond Award for Artistic Accomplishment[7]

2013 Maryland Film Festival

2013 Wisconsin Film Festival [8]

2013 River Run Film Festival [9]
February 9, 2014
Not a lot going on here.
PantaOz
January 27, 2014
This unexpectedly excellent drama which will slowly draw you in, is written and directed by Chad Hartigan. The film stars Paul Eenhoorn as Martin Bonner, an Australian man in his late 50s forced to relocate to Reno, Nevada for a new job and his attempts to acclimate and make new friends. Through his work at a prison rehabilitation non-profit organization, he meets Travis Holloway (Richmond Arquette), and the two men form an unlikely friendship. The stories of Martin and Travis slowly converge, as the two men meet and find that they have much in common, not the least of which is an unspoken need for encouragement and support. Their unlikely friendship blossoms but is put to the test when Travis betrays Martin's trust in order to reunite with his estranged daughter.

This movie premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and won the Audience Award for Best of NEXT. If I have to ask myself why, there is so many things that could contribute to the answer... it was acted with smart restraint and shot with corresponding composure.. this sombre drama was built out of small moments of naturalistic behaviour which were acutely observed... the directing was unobtrusive and sophisticated... secular spirituality in its best! There is more, but even those are enough!

If you decide to watch this film you'll be surprised - there is no other option! You will witness uncommon tale of redemption that may leave you with an uncanny sense of peace. Not everything is conventional, and the imagistic approach to narrative will leave some bitter taste with some critics and viewers. It didn't for me, I liked it. (I am really glad that this was my 1100th review!)
January 26, 2014
The movie was good. The way it ended for me wasn't the best but I found the story very enjoyable. What really blew me away was the actors. All sensational. Was very impressed with the movie especially when I found out the budget for it. Not a movie I need to own but glad I saw it :)
January 25, 2014
Nice little slice of live movie that quitely sucks you in.....slow burn character driven gem.
January 21, 2014
This is Martin Bonner - drama film written and directed by Chad Hartigan. Starring Australian actor Paul Eenhoorn in the title role. Film received its premier at Sundance Film Festival and won Audience Award for Best of NEXT. Sean McElwee captures aesthetic photography of golden evens of Nevada.

Film opens with Bonner and his aide talking with soon-to-be-released prisoner, educating him what sort of good but simple jobs await for him, outside. Bonner is in mid 50s who has moved from East Coast leaving behind two decade building life and, his two adult kids to settle in Reno (Nevada). Bonner is divorced and works as co-ordinator for prisoners about to be released works as volunteer rehabilitator. He regularly keeps up with his children. He soon hooks up with new charge, that of middle-aged man (Richmond Arquette) who served 12 years for drunk-driving manslaughter. Bonner befriends Richmond immediately, the two spend quality time, each one expressing his personal indulgence. Bonner feels betrayed and heartbroken, when comes to learn that Richmond has called on his teenage daughter, with whom he wants to relocate.

Chad's direction brings us fast-paced entertainment. I barely could notice that an hour had passed, as I seemed to groove in to its catchable dialogues. Film carries religious tone (Christianity) as well. Paul Eenhoorn is owner of classy persona, it seems though that there is permanent smile on his face. He has got, this urge to be somebody that audience should not be willing to see disheartened. A tender-story about men who are somehow destined to face challenges of life; bitter they might look and yet we have to rise above these challenges.
January 6, 2014
Touching second chance short. Great Indy flick.
December 30, 2013
The best boring movie I've ever seen.
December 30, 2013
simple yet superb; plays closer to a pilot episode and certainly leaves you wanting more...
December 26, 2013
That restaurant scene...
December 13, 2013
A real treat. Hartigan builds a great atmosphere in his tale of escape from alienation, re-kindling with the outside world and human warmth. This is the story of Martin Bonner, an Australian born man who moved from the East Coast to the Nevada Desert for work, and his meeting with an ex-convict Travis as he tries to re-connect with the outside world and his estranged daughter. The film overflows with convincing humanity, whilst its unhurried pace and its lack of usual cinematic hyperbole makes it all more rewarding. In other words, This is Martin Bonner achieves exactly what it sets out to - it portrays hope but doesn't force an ending though perhaps it captures a beginning in the most compelling of ways. The simple beauty of the film is translated fully by the style of cinematography that recalls classic filmmaking by making use of old fashioned techniques such as zooms and 360 pans that not only rekindle cinema with some casually forgotten evocative feelings but also reveal a side of the US. This in turn leads to the construction of an atmosphere beautifully charged with nostalgia but also melancholia. A remarkable film of simple beauty.