This is What Democracy Looks Like Reviews

• Aug 18, 2009

I would've called this film "failure to disperse", I just love that legal phrase :) Too protest-centered, expected something more informative on resistance and social movements, but still an interesting documentary (with definitely good editing).

• Nov 29, 2008

edited from footage shot by people on the scene at the time, this contains the immediacy of verite with the reflection of interviews of people involved. watch this with Haskell Wexler's "Medium Cool" and really appreciate how little things have changed...

• Aug 04, 2008

Pretty awesome, but the audio was horrible in some parts. Production value hurts the rating, but the message and images are powerful. This made me sad that I missed the beginning (culmination really) of something so massive and important.

• Jul 05, 2008

This is a really touching documentary about the 1999 WTO protests in Seattle--perhaps the only U.S.A. protest of the last decade or so that will live in infamy. The Seattle police are depicted as absolutely brutal and out of control--and Thomas L. Friedman should stick that in his pipe and smoke it! The documentary does suffer from severe one-sided POV and because the footage was shot by 100 or so activists on the ground, there is a lot of variety--so this story of the actual protest comes across as somewhat jumbled and the video quality gets a little shoddy. Susan Sarandon is one of two narrators.

• May 09, 2008

A suprising documentary about the WTO protests in Seattle. Protestors rights were taken away. They were beaten and gased. It amazed me that this was allowed to happen in the U.S. !

• Feb 21, 2008

Awesome documentary about the WTO protests in Seattle 1999. Very enlightening for those -- like me -- who only experienced the protests indirectly & at a distance, through mainstream media and radio.

• Feb 12, 2008

Clear evidence that we live in a militaristic police state.

Clear evidence that we live in a militaristic police state.

• Jan 20, 2008

B+ = Close to perfect

B+ = Close to perfect

• Nov 20, 2007

Self congratulatory clap-trap that actually infuriated me a wee tad (particularly in the reference to Vietnam and that iconic shot Hearts and Minds). Dealt with issues only superficially as opposed to engaging them. Thoroughly inferior to, for example, The Corporation or similar themed films.

• Oct 22, 2007

impact on me similar to that of v for vendetta. which could be a good.. or bad thing. for me, i mean. the movie itself seems a little one-sided but its sincerity and ...affecting-ness (?) more than compensate for that.