This Means War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Means War Reviews

½ December 26, 2015
The potential in action-comedy is there, and yet so many tend to come churned out in the middle ground, being neither funny nor entertaining. There isn't much to say, except that this is trite, boring, and criminally unfunny.
December 3, 2015
November 24, 2015
Features a good enough performance from Tom Hardy for this movie to warrant at least one viewing. Not a bad movie and it features some fun scenes.
½ November 9, 2015
Misled me into thinking it was an action film
November 7, 2015
I love this movie! Every second on the screen. It's fun and ridiculous!
½ October 26, 2015
Ok movie. Got to love the armbar at the end.
½ September 23, 2015
This Means War is a godawful romantic comedy that lacks either a romantic or comedic element while being noisy, ineptly edited, and wasting its charming cast.
September 20, 2015
The charming cast cannot over come an overly clichà (C) and bland story.
½ September 12, 2015
One of the worst pieces of polished s*** i've ever seen.
½ August 9, 2015
El único momento gracioso: cuando Chris Pine comenta las pinturas de Gustav Klimt a Reese Witherspoon. El resto: una desechable y fallida calamidad.
August 4, 2015
I love this romantic comedy it was hilarious and it was good to see Reese in comedy again she is excellent at it great film
August 2, 2015
Very nice and enjoyable movie, nice romantic action flick with some very good moments. Great performance from Tom Hardy who always surprises me with his range of acting skills and diversity in his roles
July 27, 2015
I love Reese Witherspoon so I had to see this knowing that it could be really bad and although it wasn't spectacular, it was fun to sit through and it also had two hilarious scenes. This kinda reminded me of Killers and The Bounty Hunter, but it was much better than both of those although Killers wasn't all bad either. The chemistry between the 3 leads was good (especially the guys). Not the best of the year but RECOMMENDED for people that want to enjoy a 2 hour movie.
½ July 24, 2015
good yet predictable but thats part of its charm
July 20, 2015
July 2nd-3rd 2012
August 16th 2013
July 20th 2015
June 30, 2015
great feel good comedy movie
½ June 28, 2015
Reese Witherspoon is indeed worth fighting for but the whole film could have been avoided if the two main characters just realised that being double dated was, oh, I don't know, wrong? It would have made some sort of sense if the characters weren't friends and were rival spies or something. It just seems like it would have added to the conflict and increased the comedic potential; the characters have their own rules that you know they will break but it just isn't the same. Honestly, the spy element only seems added to give the film sort of originality as well as leading to some potential jokes that could only be achieved with this concept because in the grand scheme of things, it is almost completely forgotten about.

I knew what the concept a long time before I actually watched it but it just seemed like nothing happened throughout the whole movie. When the movie started it was good, the action was filmed very well, it wasn't just masked up by lazy shaky came, it had a cool style and even the intro was very Bond inspired, and although she wasn't in the movie at this point, it seemed weird to see Reese Witherspoon's name over some random henchman during the opening credits but the set up was pretty good. I also liked the way that the two leads met Lauren as it didn't really feel as coincidental as other movies would do it. The cast try with what they have and the three leads, as well as the great supporting cast do good as well but honestly though, when the two leads meet Lauren is when pretty much everything else goes downhill.

It's a silly comedy and nobody acts like a real person, you can't just tear up a restaurant, twice, and get away with it regardless of your job but it is just didn't make sense. I kind of expected FDR to say to Tuck about how lame the dating website was and that was how they would bring it up but it works the way it is. The characters don't really make any sense, Lauren says that she 'isn't that type of girl' when someone brings up something a little bit silly and yet she goes from dating nobody for a long time to dating two guys at once and honestly; Witherspoon gives a lot to this character but it is hard to feel sympathy for a character who is dating two people and finds it hard to choose one, really? When the characters start dating I found it hard to believe that FDR didn't know why Tuck didn't show up to his arrangement or how Tuck knew where FDR would be to spy on his first date. It even goes down to something as nitpicky as, Lauren is dancing and singing to a song, in a scene that felt pointless by the way, but she puts on 'Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid' halfway through and continues to sing... Because that makes sense? Also, she thinks that FDR just fell asleep on the couch but wouldn't she see the tranquilliser dart right next to his hand that is in plain view? And why did Tuck have to go on about explaining those people that showed up at his dinner? Why couldn't he just lie and say it was a joke someone did? A good piece of character we get is when Tuck says 'mentlegents'.

I thought technically speaking the film looked good for the most part, like I said, the action was well filmed and it had a style and the editing was good as well, the paintball scene was good, even if that paint-bomb looked brutal and the Titanic music playing in the background at one point fit well as well. But other times some scenes felt out of place and one point in particular where Tuck is on the roof with a rifle and the music comes in too late into that scene that I had no idea what just happened. It's like the music guy forgot his cue and quickly rushed to speed up, it was really bad; I had to rewind just to see if what I thought happened actually happened. It isn't bad to the point where the music comes in after the scene is finished or anything like that but it's noticeably bad. And overall, it's probably just a little bit longer than it needed to be.

I also didn't like the ending much at first, but not because it's made badly but because it just seemed cruel to our characters, it kind of felt like an all or nothing kind of deal, and the choice that was made seems backwards as the other choice was the genuinely nice honest one who didn't stalk/ show up at her work. But in the end, it does work out well for our both leads even if the other end just feels crammed in to give them both a happy ending but the film does end on a good joke so there is that. And I won't lie, the film did make me laugh at points and it certainly has its moments but it really doesn't have a lot of them. Knowing that Seth Rogen was one of the choices for one of the leading roles seems bizarre. 'This Means War' has a fun title, good leads and an interesting premise but doesn't really do as much with it as it should.
½ June 25, 2015
A smart, affectionate mix of romance and bromance, This Means War offers edgy, action-packed comedy while leaving enough room to properly showcase Chris Pine and Tom Hardy's warmhearted brotherhood chemistry.
June 21, 2015
A big fuck you to ryan for saying this movie sucks. This is better then godfather I think!